Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

I believe in this instance it will (could?) probably be a third MWS for Slick and some of the other MC-12 guys, since right now we have more questions than answers. Legacy Herk guys maybe or maybe not going to the J, Hog guys going who knows where and all the mobility guys who came here due to 169% manning in their previous communities. Many waiting on May 1, the AF isn't creating any more cockpits...

Except the mc12 isn't a mws....

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

The term "Top Tier" in an OPR is considered a third level stratification correct? Does the term mean or help you during a board if there isn't a number after it to back it up?

Can moving to a new MWS prior to your board hurt you? As in moving from AC to copilot.

I believe you are correct in your categorization of the stratification. There isn't much positive to say about it from the perspective of a promotion board. As the categorization suggests, it is not competitive with a pure peer stratification, or even an inflated group (second level) stratification. It would help in so much as the report doesn't say something obviously negative, which likely would need to be a referral report anyways...not getting into the silly code word/phrase conversation, which I'm not sure I really buy into at this point. The answer to your question is it's not going to hurt, but it's not going to help without a number to back it up...it almost doesn't matter what it says, and as such isn't what you want to put on your PRF. You most likely want to put first level strats at the beginning of the line followed by supporting information that strat is based on (which is the "C method" of writing a PRF). There are others, so I'd talk to a few people to find the method that works best for the reports you have to work with.

As for moving airframes, it shouldn't hurt you. It should help you. It broadens your experience which is something that sets you apart from others. The fact that you are new to the airframe, it is intuitive that you would not walk in as an EP, even if you were previously an IP in your last platform. That said, leaving one platform prior to becoming an IP and not obtaining that qual in the new platform prior to the board does leave an open question. There is no way to know how this will be resolved in the mind of each member of the board. This, like having multi-platform experience, sets you apart from others...this time in a negative way.

It is a Line of the Air Force promotion board, not a rated promotion board. The IP qual is part of normal progression, but will not kill you without it (especially for an O-4 board). The stratifications, accomplishments, duty progression, and aircrew qualifications (arguably in that order) will be what determines if you have the capacity to serve in the next higher grade. ...you know, that whole person concept thing.

I would humbly submit that you should not worry about how moving to a new airframe will impact your board. Do not choose to stay where you don't want to be, doing something you don't want to do, just to improve your chances at the board. You will get that IP qual (maybe), but everything else will suffer from your struggle to stay motivated and excel. If you think you can do that "artificially", by which I mean you get that you're an officer and a leader first and what airplane you fly isn't as important as that, then by all means go for it.

Bendy

Edited by Bender

The term "Top Tier" in an OPR is considered a third level stratification correct? Does the term mean or help you during a board if there isn't a number after it to back it up?

For anyone interested:

In my experience, the following are the "tiers" of stratification:

1: x/xx Capts (or Lts, Majs, whatever.. specific to your rank)

2: x/xx CGOs/FGOs (larger pool, but not as specific. The only way a "CGO" strat would be top-tier would be a Lt getting a #1 or 2/XX CGOs strat because it implies that he/she is performing above the level of Capts also in that CGO category. Open to interpretation.)

3: x/xx pilots, ACs, instructors, whatever.

No number=not a strat, and therefore fluff. If a CC truly wanted to mark someone as "top tier", they would stratify them as such, not use words in a push line.

I hate that I know this.

• Upvote 3

For anyone interested:

2: x/xx CGOs/FGOs (larger pool, but not as specific. The only way a "CGO" strat would be top-tier would be a Lt getting a #1 or 2/XX CGOs strat because it implies that he/she is performing above the level of Capts also in that CGO category. Open to interpretation.)

3: x/xx pilots, ACs, instructors, whatever.

No number=not a strat, and therefore fluff. If a CC truly wanted to mark someone as "top tier", they would stratify them as such, not use words in a push line.

I hate that I know this.

I don't agree with you. That may be what someone told you, but it's a vast over generalization and misleads young guys trying to learn.

The real answer--as always--is "it depends". Most of it depends on the pool size. Would you rather be #1/2 captains or #1/6 CGOs? I know which one I'd pick. Also, you're way off when it comes to majors. A major getting an FGO strat--which includes Lt Cols in the pool--could be a very good thing depending on how the numbers compared. Would you rather be #1/3 majors or #2/10 FGOs? Literally it's top 33% of rank peers compared to top 20% of a pool which includes more senior folks. So in this case, I'd take the #2 over the #1 without question. It's way better.

But the real fallacy of what you wrote is that if there is no strat, it's all fluff. Not at all true. That's the kind of myth that makes for terrible OPR writers because they don't understand the bigger picture. Generally you strat the top 20%. Promotion rates are way beyond that, right? So there is a way to write such that you try to communicate the differential between the 30th percentile guy and the 70th percentile guy. Using phrases like "Top tier" may be one of those ways. It's really pretty easy to make that differentiation even when using all positive words. You have to get past the literal words on the paper and look for the message being sent. They are not the same thing.

Edited by Danny Noonin

Guest ThatGuy

I don't agree with you. That may be what someone told you, but it's a vast over generalization and misleads young guys trying to learn.

The real answer--as always--is "it depends". Most of it depends on the pool size. Would you rather be #1/2 captains or #1/6 CGOs? I know which one I'd pick. Also, you're way off when it comes to majors. A major getting an FGO strat--which includes Lt Cols in the pool--could be a very good thing depending on how the numbers compared. Would you rather be #1/3 majors or #2/10 FGOs? Literally it's top 33% of rank peers compared to top 20% of a pool which includes more senior folks. So in this case, I'd take the #2 over the #1 without question. It's way better.

But the real fallacy of what you wrote is that if there is no strat, it's all fluff. Not at all true. That's the kind of myth that makes for terrible OPR writers because they don't understand the bigger picture. Generally you strat the top 20%. Promotion rates are way beyond that, right? So there is a way to write such that you try to communicate the differential between the 30th percentile guy and the 70th percentile guy. Using phrases like "Top tier" may be one of those ways. It's really pretty easy to make that differentiation even when using all positive words. You have to get past the literal words on the paper and look for the message being sent. They are not the same thing.

Thanks for explaining. I saw the phrase listed on the OG/CC stratification level slides.

Also, you're way off when it comes to majors.

Who are you talking to? He didn't reference a major in his post at all in any unique way...he merely pointed to a rank based peer group. How is major different here?

But the real fallacy of what you wrote is that if there is no strat, it's all fluff. Not at all true. That's the kind of myth that makes for terrible OPR writers because they don't understand the bigger picture. Generally you strat the top 20%. Promotion rates are way beyond that, right? So there is a way to write such that you try to communicate the differential between the 30th percentile guy and the 70th percentile guy.

Are you encouraging him to use the words "Top Tier" on his PRF? I suspect you'd look through the documents again to make sure you didn't miss something. Of course there is a way to write to TRY to differentiate 30th from 70th...that statement doesn't really say anything. The "box checking" mentality is a direct symptom of not doing this part well. "Top tier" is fluff, fluff that most of the 30 to 70 percentile has in their reports. Perhaps you do a better job distinguishing..."excellent squadron RA, ready for group RA!" Yup, got it, but that isn't a strat...

Using phrases like "Top tier" may be one of those ways. It's really pretty easy to make that differentiation even when using all positive words. You have to get past the literal words on the paper and look for the message being sent. They are not the same thing.

May be? I disagree with you here that it's "pretty easy" "using all positive words". Write out 10 strats using all positive words that even half of a board would order the way you intend them to. If you can, that's what we should be teaching everyone if we aren't going to strat everyone.

You have to get past the literal words on the paper and look for the message being sent. They are not the same thing.

Get past the literal words? It's like you've never sent an email before or something...this is ludicrous. Look for the message being sent? Which one? You mean the one being conveyed by the words on the paper? I think you might be on the other side of the kool-aid line here.

I feel like you're trying to help here, I do. I think this is one of the issues that belongs in the "what's wrong with the Air Force" thread. Part of the problem is it doesn't really matter if your in the 30th or 70th percentile...only in the top 20 or not. It's a self-ball licking situation...except that lick you own balls would have benefits.

Maybe I don't "understand the bigger picture". I think the biggest problem the Air Force has is people that "understand the bigger picture". That's implicit code wording for conformity.

Bendy

Edited by Bender
  • Upvote 3

I figured my take on it would draw some attention.

Danny, you are right... it absolutely does depend. But what does it depend on? It's a result of the senior rater's boss (NAF/MAJCOM). What I said in my post has been the case as I've seen it in AMC. I gather from your posts over the years that you're a CAF guy, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that bottom lines of OPRs are yet another difference between the two communities.

You are correct about the Maj vs FGOs strat. I thought my logic of giving a Lt a CGO strat would translate into a Maj receiving an FGO strat, as I was trying to prevent posting a wall of TL;DR words. Giving a Capt a CGO strat is padding the denominator. Capts are supposed to perform above Lts. That's not always the case, so that's why you'll see Lts with CGO strats. The same is true for Majs.

I get what you're saying about my "fluff" comment, but I still disagree. You either have a strat, or you don't. I never said you're hosed if you didn't pull a strat, and yes, the language used does help to differentiate between dead wood and solid citizens. But, to lump a rater saying a guy is "top tier" into actual stratifications is simply apples and oranges. It's a nice way of saying "not my top 20%, but close". Depending on where I was at in my career and who was saying that about me could lead to a little bit of concern.

Edit to add:

Part of the problem is it doesn't really matter if your in the 30th or 70th percentile...only in the top 20 or not.

^ This.

Edited by Champ Kind

Part of the problem is it doesn't really matter if your in the 30th or 70th percentile...only in the top 20 or not. It's a self-ball licking situation...except that lick you own balls would have benefits.

Amen. :beer:

See attached for a .ppt I recently saw on writing performance reports. Written by a current WG/CC back when he was somewhere between O-5 and O-6 based on the date. Great insight into how he, and I imagine many senior raters, do the dirty work of getting these reports done.

Names/dates/location info have been redacted to protect the innocent/guilty depending on how you see it.

Writing Performance Reports.ppt

Edited by nsplayr

Part of the problem is it doesn't really matter if your in the 30th or 70th percentile...only in the top 20 or not.

^ This.

Amen. :beer:

Wrong. It definitely matters who is a 30%-ish guy vs a 50%-ish guy vs a 70%-ish guy. While you may not give them a numerical start, you can pretty easily communicate about what level the guy is at with words.

Why does it matter beyond 20%? Well, until our recent budget fiascos, the top 35% of a year group went to IDE in res. That's one reason. Another one is that the 30% guy--if he sticks around--will likely be an O-6 some day, while the 70% guy will not. Don't believe me? Look at the O-6 promotion statistics, project forward to this mythical captain or major's O-6 board, then remove all the guys who stratted above that 30% guy who got out at 12 or retired at 20 from consideration. He makes it easily. The 50% guy is on track to eventually make O-5 and the 70% guy is probably on the bubble.

While no, Bendy, I do not expect that without a numerical strat a board could put 10 guys in perfect rank order based solely on words, but they could definitely group them pretty accurately into 30-ish%, 50-ish% and 70-ish% piles. Which is a stratification.

Edited by Danny Noonin

Get past the literal words? It's like you've never sent an email before or something...this is ludicrous. Look for the message being sent? Which one? You mean the one being conveyed by the words on the paper? I think you might be on the other side of the kool-aid line here.

Yeah, get past the literal words. If you read an OPR that said "average officer" would you really interpret that to mean the guy was an average officer? i.e. doing just fine, middle of the road, promote on time? Fuck no. You'd read that the guy was an oxygen stealer. Now go with "slightly below average officer". That guy still makes O-5 if taken literally. But that's not how anyone actually reads that line. Make sense?

So if you want to be the guy to take a moral stance when rating someone and say that you are only going to write down literally what you think of your dudes performance, then you're an asshole. Because that's not how anyone else is doing it, so you just fucked someone over. I've had this discussion with many a "core values" crusader who stomped their feet about integrity. You can do that with yourself if you want, but when you are messing with the careers of someone else, you play the game. And the game--as ludicrous as it is--is that you concentrate on communicating the correct message to a board or to outside readers. If you communicate literally, you will NOT be sending the message you intend to send. So focus all your "integrity first" energy into sending the correct message about a person, not using words literally. I think its ridiculous too. But that's the system right now and I can't fucking change it. Can you?

So there are ways to write using just words--not numerical strats--that communicate clearly whether a guy who is not in the top 20% is still a strong swimmer or average or no so much. Its not that difficult.

Danny, you are right... it absolutely does depend. But what does it depend on?

It depends on what the actual numbers are, Champ. You said:

2: x/xx CGOs/FGOs

I'm telling you that's an over generalization, far too formulaic, and often times bullshit. I can give you a million examples of when a CGO or FGO strat would be better than a captain or even a Lt Col strat, so it does not at all bump someone down into another "tier" to use the other one.

It depends on the number. does it water down the denominator? Yeah, sometimes. But sometimes I need a bigger denominator to actually make the point I'm trying to make. Does #1 of 2 captains sound better than #1 of 8 CGOs? No. But according to your rules, that means I'm giving him a second tier strat and should stick with the first one. Bullshit. See what I mean? It. Fucking. Depends.

I thought my logic of giving a Lt a CGO strat would translate into a Maj receiving an FGO strat, as I was trying to prevent posting a wall of TL;DR words.

Fair enough, but here's what you originally posted:

2: x/xx CGOs/FGOs

So your specific example had a "major" strat being better than an FGO strat for a major. Just sayin'.

Edited by Danny Noonin

I respect your opinion, I do. So please understand why I even take the time to respond here.

Wrong. It definitely matters who is a 30%-ish guy vs a 50%-ish guy vs a 70%-ish guy. While you may not give them a numerical start, you can pretty easily communicate about what level the guy is at with words.

At the moment of the boarding process, no...no it does not. Over the course of 2 or 3 boards spread out by 4 to 10 years, I agree with you that this distinction matters. I do see that it is now "pretty easy" to do. I only assume that is with words if not numbers, with only symbols (i.e. $@&?!$) reserved for only the extremely special among us. We probably just use words that parrot the Article 15 there though.

So, agreed...it's important to stratify everybody appropriately to take care of their careers come board time. However, a strat that goes on a report is not a board ranking. It is this board ranking that was I referencing, not an annual strat itself. However, they are intimately connected.

Why does it matter beyond 20%? Well, until our recent budget fiascos, the top 35% of a year group went to IDE in res. That's one reason. Another one is that the 30% guy--if he sticks around--will likely be an O-6 some day, while the 70% guy will not. Don't believe me? Look at the O-6 promotion statistics, project forward to this mythical captain or major's O-6 board, then remove all the guys who stratted above that 30% guy who got out at 12 or retired at 20 from consideration. He makes it easily.

Meh, if it's 35% instead of 20% then change the number in my statement and don't sidetrack the conversation like that.

So...the promotion board cares about (and takes time to) carefully racking and stacking all of the records into 30-50-70 percentile on a board with a 70 to 95 percent promotion rate that is sending 20% to developmental education? Even the most cursory look at the process shows this is not true. It does not matter if you are 30 or 70. If you are 70, the words do take on this importance you're trying to convey here, because they will be looked at more closely. But, keep in mind this is 70th percentile of the record on the board, not of the people in a unit they were actually stratified against...

It definitely depends...if 8 raters in a row say someone is "average" that does not make them average. If 7 raters give a numerical stratification and one rater says they are average on their last report, they are not "average". The answer here lies in how individual sets of stratification create the corresponding component to board ranking...that matters (a lot).

While no, Bendy, I do not expect that without a numerical strat a board could put 10 guys in perfect rank order based solely on words, but they could definitely group them pretty accurately into 30-ish%, 50-ish% and 70-ish% piles. Which is a stratification.

I agree with you that "Top Tier" on an OPR is stratification. I don't even think it's "fluff" on a PRF. If every line started with the same strat, I think I would agree with you more easily here.

"Top Tier", "Above Average", "Average"....done, right? Wrong. As a commander, you must stratify each individual every year. THIS effort can be "pretty accurately" piled into 30-50-70. However, when there are 8-10 push strats to deal with for every individual, the water gets murkier. This is the place where the comment about "Top Tier" being "fluff" is coming from.

So then...One pile is still all numbers (30-ish), one pile is some numbers and some words (50-ish), the other is all words (70+) right? Wrong again. As you pointed out with Champ, there is gaming that goes into the numbers alone. The progression or regression of these stratification could add logic into a board ranking (in the gray zone, not 40 vs 50 on a board promoting 80 percent).

It is the differentiation of records within this gray zone that matters within the current system. At the time of the board, it does not matter if you are 40 or 70th percentile; you both get promoted as school candidates. Does it matter come the next board (with a much lower promotion rate) that your record previously ranked 40 vs. 70th? Of course it does, that part of your record is still there unchanged, but there are also a lot of reports on top now.

In the end, "getting the bigger picture" and "It depends" are always shitty vague answers. It doesn't make them untrue, just unhelpful.

Bendy

Edited by Bender

Yeah, get past the literal words. If you read an OPR that said "average officer" would you really interpret that to mean the guy was an average officer? i.e. doing just fine, middle of the road, promote on time? Fuck no. You'd read that the guy was an oxygen stealer. Now go with "slightly below average officer". That guy still makes O-5 if taken literally. But that's not how anyone actually reads that line. Make sense?

At the time you wrote that, for the people you were rating on, yes. Are you saying that you take your shittiest officer and call him "average" on his performance report because that actually means oxygen stealer? A stratification being "taken literally" is not the same as promoting someone based upon a single stratification like you "slightly below average officer" example. (Not all positive words by the way).

So no. It makes no sense whatsoever. The only thing that makes sense is that you are writing performance reports that do not accurately reflect actual performance in an effort to inflate their potential for promotion, because that is what everyone else is doing. It's just like 5's on EPRs. It's just like ironing wrinkle free uniforms. Clearly you "see the bigger picture" and are acting accordingly.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you're doing, I'm saying....no, it doesn't make sense. It is important to understand why. That makes it important to be able to explain why. When you can't do that, it means what you (you as in the Air Force here, not you as in BODN Danny Noonin) are fucking up.

So if you want to be the guy to take a moral stance when rating someone and say that you are only going to write down literally what you think of your dudes performance, then you're an asshole. Because that's not how anyone else is doing it, so you just fucked someone over. I've had this discussion with many a "core values" crusader who stomped their feet about integrity. You can do that with yourself if you want, but when you are messing with the careers of someone else, you play the game. And the game--as ludicrous as it is--is that you concentrate on communicating the correct message to a board or to outside readers. If you communicate literally, you will NOT be sending the message you intend to send. So focus all your "integrity first" energy into sending the correct message about a person, not using words literally. I think its ridiculous too. But that's the system right now and I can't fucking change it. Can you?

This is a beautiful capture of the problem, well done. There isn't a right answer here at this point in time. It is currently what it is and we have to operate under planned change concepts here, so there is no benefit to "blazing the trail" or being a "moral crusader". It is worthy to note that it's sad a person of you caliber would need to defend themselves using such words. I know you know it. ...and, no, I can't change it either (at least not yet).

Is it possible that this "correct message" you speak of is the "message" built over the course of the previous strats? "Average + Top Tier + Average" does not equal "Top Tier + Average + Average".

The problem here is you can't share the decoder ring, you only do it the way you do it because that's how it was taught to you and melded with how you think it is, which is different than how others were taught and different than how they think it is. Even if we don't change, we could standardized by explaining why...something the CSAF should have someone doing. This problem is pale in comparison to our bankrupting nation though, so we'll just make due with promotion boards as they are for the time being (which is actually a pretty decent system, it could be much worse).

So there are ways to write using just words--not numerical strats--that communicate clearly whether a guy who is not in the top 20% is still a strong swimmer or average or no so much. Its not that difficult.

I never said it was, Danny. I said it wasn't that important to a board wether you write "above average" or "top tier" to a board that is looking at every other stratification as well. Clearly it's important, it's just not relatively as important. That choice is unlikely to alter the outcome, that choice made 8 times in a row definitely will.

It's a good topic. I appreciate you taking the time to write out your thoughts.

Bendy

Edited by Bender

Fair enough, but here's what you originally posted... [snippet]

So your specific example had a "major" strat being better than an FGO strat for a major. Just sayin'.

I also said this:

...The only way a "CGO" strat would be top-tier would be a Lt getting a #1 or 2/XX CGOs strat because it implies that he/she is performing above the level of Capts also in that CGO category. Open to interpretation....

After your reply, I went on to say this:

You are correct about the Maj vs FGOs strat. I thought my logic of giving a Lt a CGO strat would translate into a Maj receiving an FGO strat, as I was trying to prevent posting a wall of TL;DR words. Giving a Capt a CGO strat is padding the denominator. Capts are supposed to perform above Lts. That's not always the case, so that's why you'll see Lts with CGO strats. The same is true for Majs.

The logic for giving a Maj a FGO strat is the same as giving a Lt a CGO strat.

Are you saying that you take your shittiest officer and call him "average" on his performance report because that actually means oxygen stealer?

Maybe. It depends. If I take my shittiest officer and say something negative about him, by reg that becomes a referral report. You understand that, right?

The dude may not warrant a referral report. He may be below average in reality, but doesn't deserve a career killing OPR that prevents him from even making major.

The only thing that makes sense is that you are writing performance reports that do not accurately reflect actual performance in an effort to inflate their potential for promotion, because that is what everyone else is doing.

If everyone is doing it, I'm not "inflating" his chances for promotion by doing it too. I'm keeping things consistent and making his chances for promotion fair relative to the pool.

Edited by Danny Noonin

In the end, "getting the bigger picture" and "It depends" are always shitty vague answers. It doesn't make them untrue, just unhelpful.

I'm not even sure if we're having the same conversation anymore. I think we are mostly in agreement, but I'm in violent disagreement with this quote. "It depends" is not a shitty answer. It's the right and best answer and it's actually quite helpful if you really understand it. Champ laid out his wisdom on tiers of stratifications. I pointed out that, while his decision tree might work sometimes, there are a million individual situations where it would not. Each case is separate, and the exceptions are not limited to lieutenants getting CGO starts or majors getting FGO strats. "Padding the denominator" as he put it, is not necessarily a bad thing. It depends both on what the denominator is and what the respective numerator would be in each pool. I can tell several different stories with the same person. A guy who is #2/4 captains might be a super strong swimmer in a pool of all-stars or he might be a clown in a pool of 4 clowns and there are just 2 guys with floppier shoes. So I can adjust the overall picture accordingly by changing the pool to tell the story I"m trying to tell. #2/4 captains does not read strong, even thought the guy in question might be great. #2/10 CGOs reads pretty strong. See what I mean? It does depend on the total picture of each individual circumstance and therefore trying to mentor guys by saying there is a (mostly) black and white tier structure within numerical strats like Champ did is a disservice. There are subtleties and nuances that can be used to make a guy seem stronger or less strong on paper to match what his performance is in reality.

So "it depends" is the right answer and for guys who are trying to learn how to do this well, guys should understand that.

I'm out

Edited by Danny Noonin

"It depends" is not a shitty answer. It's the right and best answer and it's actually quite helpful if you really understand it.

So "it depends" is the right answer and for guys who are trying to learn how to do this well, guys should understand that.

So, you're saying "it depends" is a good answer if I really understand what you mean by it this time? Good stuff. I don't disagree, just thought it would be nice if you just said what you meant by it, this time...forgo the "it depends". It always depends.

I can't believe I wasted so much time on this. I'm out. You can argue amongst yourselves now.

That's a problem. We aren't arguing; well, I don't think so. We're having a conversation in a public forum for the betterment of all. You type A personalities can't help but see it as arguing, which is kind of amusing. That way someone can always win. Makes leadership kind of tough.

Sorry for wasting your precious time.

Bendy

Edited by Bender

So, you're saying "it depends" is a good answer if I really understand what you mean by it this time? Good stuff.

I'm saying that you cannot define a top tier strat simply by the pool (e.g. captains vs CGOs) because it's more complicated than that. The factors that complicate it are too numerous to fit into a nice little "tier 1, tier 2, etc" rule set, so I'm saying that you have to look at each case individually to see what strat our of what pool will communicate the message you are trying to communicate, whatever "tier" that may be. Does that make sense? You seem to have suggested that the gray area left by an "it depends" situation is bad. I'm saying it's not. It allows freedom and flexibility to communicate a variety of messages by accounting for a variety of variables. By purporting to provide a bit of mentoring on the process using an oversimplified rule set, I think that Champ could unintentionally mislead some young pups who would latch on to a black and white list like that and perpetuate a myth. So I chimed in.

That's a problem. We aren't arguing; well, I don't think so. We're having a conversation in a public forum for the betterment of all. You type A personalities can't help but see it as arguing, which is kind of amusing. That way someone can always win. Makes leadership kind of tough.

Sorry for wasting your precious time.

Valid. I didn't mean to come across like that. You'll notice by the time stamps I edited it away before you even posted.

Does that make sense? You seem to have suggested that the gray area left by an "it depends" situation is bad. I'm saying it's not. It allows freedom and flexibility to communicate a variety of messages by accounting for a variety of variables.

Of course it does; I think you have very good inputs and I'm glad you made them. I agree with your comment the "tiers" are an oversimplification, but you have to fight that off with complete information, not a vague answer. Because if someone doesn't know what you mean or guesses wrong, I think it could be a very bad thing. So, agree to disagree a bit there, but the inputs are solid even if you do argue like a little girl sometimes.

Bendy

Edited by Bender

Of course it does; I think you have very good inputs and I'm glad you made them. I agree with your comment the "tiers" are an oversimplification, but you have to fight that off with complete information, not a vague answer. Because if someone doesn't know what you mean or guesses wrong, I think it could be a very bad thing. So, agree to disagree a bit there, but the inputs are solid even if you do argue like a little girl sometimes.

Bendy

You know dude, for someone who said this isn't an argument yet has quibbled non stop about every one of my posts, you sure seem to take a lot of personal shots. Notice I haven't taken any at you.

Stay classy Bendy.

Edited by Danny Noonin

You know dude, for someone who said this isn't an argument, you sure seem to take a lot of personal shots. Notice I haven't taken any at you.

Valid. ...and that had not crossed my mind. Is this because I said you argued like a little girl? That was phrased as well as I could to make it clearly a joke. I hope I didn't offend you. Oddly enough, I don't think I would joke like that if it was an argument.

Bendy

ETA: Quibbling does not a conversation make. Just get it right the first time next time and we won't have to go through this. You can add an imaginary little smiley face to the end of this if it makes you feel better.

Edited by Bender

All this argument proves is how really f-ed up our system is.

Senior leaders: I know you're reading. Why can't we just have an honest system? One that tells folks where their performance really is and offers the member a chance to change that positioning (for better or worse).

• Upvote 2

All this argument proves is how really f-ed up our system is.

Senior leaders: I know you're reading. Why can't we just have an honest system? One that tells folks where their performance really is and offers the member a chance to change that positioning (for better or worse).

We DO have such a system. Our system requires documented feedback, and multiple levels of EPR/OPR review for truth before signing.

If you don't know where you stand, it's not the system's fault. It's your rater's...and yours.