Classic Thread - CSAF congratulates CAP cadet

From the wizards at HQ AF PA.

Link To Story

Civil Air Patrol teen earns Spaatz Award

by Staff Sgt. Julie Weckerlein

Air Force News Service

5/12/2006 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- A 16-year-old Civil Air Patrol cadet received the highest CAP cadet honor from the Air Force chief of staff during a Pentagon ceremony here May 11.

Recognizing Cadet Col. Katrina Litchford with the General Carl. A. Spaatz Award, Gen. T. Michael Moseley said, “I am pleased to be able to present this certificate with General Spaatz’s name on it to the top cadet of the Civil Air Patrol.”

Cadet Litchford earned the award for more than three and a half years of CAP service and for demonstrating excellence in leadership, character, fitness and aerospace education. Only about two in every 1,000 cadets ever receive the award, which is comparable to the Gold Star award in the Girl Scouts.

The award is named after the first chief of staff of the Air Force, who became the first CAP chairman after he retired from active duty.

“It’s a great honor to be (at the Pentagon),” she said. Her family traveled from Roanoke, Va., to support the home-schooled freshman. As General Moseley pointed out, it’s a family rich in Air Force heritage.

“We have Katrina’s sister -- a fellow CAP cadet -- here along with her grandfather, who flew B-17s with the 305th (Bomb Group) in the United Kingdom under the command of General Spaatz,” he said. “It doesn’t get better than that.”

The cadet's mother said she’s been amazed by the response the family has received since her daughter earned the award.

“General Moseley really made us so comfortable here,” said Leonetta Litchford. "I have to say, this whole time, doors (of opportunity) have been thrown open, doors you normally couldn’t open with a pry bar.”

For now, Cadet Litchford said she’s focusing on school and staying active in sports and karate to keep up with the Air Force’s fitness standards. Her aspirations include studying physics and physiology.

“The Air Force Academy is definitely a consideration for my future,” she said.

General Moseley agreed that’s a good plan. At the end of the ceremony, he presented the cadet with an Air Force book, in which he inscribed, “Come on in -- we’re waiting for you.”

That's pretty hot right there.

All kidding aside, I see a brilliant shoe clerk career ahead for this overacheiver. She's 16, home-schooled, the "top CAP cadet", wants to study physics and physiology, her Mom says this award is "opening doors of opportunity", and she's taking karate to keep up with the AF's fitness standards.

I'm quite sure if you asked her to name ONE of her friends or one band that has released an album in the last five years, she'd stutter and her head would explode.

HD

[ 15. May 2006, 02:19: Message edited by: HerkDerka ]

Originally posted by HerkDerka:

I'm quite sure if you asked her to name ONE... band that has released an album in the last five years, she'd stutter and her head would explode.

HD

shit- I'd probably fail at this one- I gotta get out more. ****in EE labs...

Originally posted by HerkDerka:

Civil Air Patrol teen earns Spaatz Award

5/12/2006 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- A 16-year-old Civil Air Patrol cadet blah blah blah...

Only about two in every 1,000 cadets ever receive the award, which is comparable to the Gold Star award in the Girl Scouts.

Wow, an Air Force/CAP award that is equivalent to the Girl Scout Gold Star! I wonder where that goes on T. Michael's new uniforms? Over the volunteer medal?

Cheers! M2

060511-F-9199P-001.jpg

Civil Air Patrol Cadet Col. Katrina Litchford (right) and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley listen as Cadet Litchford's grandfather James Litchford Sr. shares an anecdote about flying B-17 bombers in WWII under the command of Gen. Carl A. Spaatz. General Moseley had just presented the Gen. Carl A. Spaatz Award to Cadet Litchford during a ceremony in the Pentagon on Thursday, May 11, 2006. Observing are Cadet Litchford's sister, Dominique, also a CAP cadet, and other family members. (U.S. Air Force photo/Donna Parry)

Actually, don't be too quick to judge. She looks like she'll be a perfect squadron twinkie one day. Same with her sister in the back.

And someone tell T. Michael that is projects an unprofessional image to put your hands in your pockets...at least that is what the SNAPs kept whining when I was on AD...

Cheers! M2

Guest sleepy
Originally posted by M2:

And someone tell T. Michael that is projects an unprofessional image to put your hands in your pockets...at least that is what the SNAPs kept whining when I was on AD...

Maybe SNAPs don't have any balls that need scratching.

Also, I'm willing to be she's heard of this guy.

buch-glw-green.jpg

Guest AviatorFT07

Steve,

As a former CAP cadet (who never did get that award equivalent to the Girl Scouts)...A ribbon is awarded for each grade achieved (C/Amn through C/Col), and for other things like going to an encampment (do stuff at a military base for about 10 days), national activities, recruiting people...Just about anything.

I thought it (the ribbon wearing) was really cool when I first started out. Then I read a book stating the Israeli Air Force only has something like five or six possible awards for their guys, and I started seeing combat vets wearing less ribbons than I was.

I felt totally embarassed. What was I supposed to say if one of them asked me how I got this ribbon or that one? "Oh, well sir, I got this award for becoming a C/SSgt, through taking an Aerospace test and a Leadership test, both of which were multiple choice, and I scored above a 70 on them." Give me a break.

Some of these guys end up looking like Central American generals with all of the stuff they put on, and even worse, some of them do believe that they are the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread. (Anyone remember "CAP SoftSandy?") I've had a number of vehement disagreements over the awards system and other aspects of the program with several members and was disgusted when I saw a senior member demanding a salute from an enlisted SP at a gate.

I never wore more than four ribbons on my uniform ever again. CAP is a good program, but some people go way overboard and take themselves and it way too seriously.

(Edit: Extra "some" in last paragraph taken out.)

[ 15. May 2006, 12:42: Message edited by: AviatorFT07 ]

Guest sickels101

Kind of along the same path I saw what looked like a 12 year old CAP cadet yell at some civilians at the Barksdale Air Show over the weekend to "pick up their trash immediately." I kind of just sat back and enjoyed the whole scene. What was really funny was when they walked right by the poor kid and he had to chase down their trash.

Guest AviatorFT07

brabus,

Yeah, the guy was (at the time) a CAP "Captain." He later got promoted to "Major," which just served to further lessen my faith in the system. This was also after an incident where he yelled at cadets and called them "pricks." One of the only reasons I decided to continue my membership as a senior is to try and make sure there's someone to challenge these guys when stuff like that happens, until I get the opportunity to wear a USAF uniform.

I thought it was kind of funny when I heard an ANG "crash crew" refer to CAP as the "Hitler Youth," based on some sort of yelling act like SoNotToSpeak refers to. It only takes a few idiots to make the entire program look bad.

Guest uniballvisionmicro

That chick needs to lighten up... nice roll of quarters in each hand in that picture. Now that she has achieved the top award, perhaps she can relax the ol sphincter...

Guest thebronze
And someone tell T. Michael that is projects an unprofessional image to put your hands in your pockets...
I'm sure he was just reaching in to his pocket to retrieve a coin for the good cadet.

Guest scottaxelson

Shell prolly end up takin Mosley's job and remember each and every one of us. (Hopefully were out by then) but it looks like shes on the fast path to O-10.

I don't understand. How come everybody is trashing a sixteen year old for doing a volunteer job? This is not some 400lb CAP senior member pretending to a pilot which won a DFC. I think getting your Spaatz in HS is a lot more admirable then going to lame parties, getting wasted and/or pregnant which is what her female classmates are doing. Just b/c the CSAF decides to do some CAP-USAF PR shouldn't open the floodgates and allow her to be ridiculed. Just my .02...

Guest sleepy
Originally posted by AviatorFT07:

I never wore more than four ribbons on my uniform ever again.

Maybe it's just me and my twisted, Allegra plus Miller Lite sense of humor (where did these damn allegeries come from?), but that has to be the funniest line in this whole thread.

EDIT: that's not a shot, just a humorous observation at AviatorFT07's expense. I'd say it is now your turn to smack me, but I know better than that. :D

[ 15. May 2006, 21:49: Message edited by: sleepy ]

Guest sleepy

Skids Down,

Yes, it's dumb. I couldn't agree more. Everytime I see some fake Major walking around in a bag, I can't help but laugh. Aviator realizes that, and he has a sense of humor about it.

Kids need stuff like that, even if it's something they won't brag about later on in life, or hopefully they won't. Hell, I was a state champion extemperaneous speaker once, even got a T-shirt, but you won't hear me brag about it over pitchers of beer. I learned a lot, though, and I encourage any smartass kid (like I was and am) to be a forensicator and/or master debater.

Highschoolers: Get good at one sport--real sport, not bowling or badmitton--and no one will pick on you like these girls are being picked on. Don't be afraid to do non-athletc extra-curriculars. Their "achievements" will take them farther than your 93% free throw percentage.

EDIT: WTF? Where did Skid's post go? Aw, fuggedabowdet.

[ 15. May 2006, 22:11: Message edited by: sleepy ]

I know it got deleted but I spent a lot of time on it so Toro or whoever can delete it if they want...

Saying that there are better things to do than be in CAP is ridiculous. Nerdy...yes. Do I make fun of CAP cadets even though I was one for a long time? Absolutely.

CAP can be a really good thing for kids: there are a lot of avenues they can be interested in Air Force (or other services) stuff. The Generalissimo ribbon stacks that cadets get may be retarded, but so is getting 690 merit badges as a boyscout. Generally speaking, CAP is little more than USAF sponsored boyscouts...with less camping and more saluting.

There are going to be socket wrenches in every organization, but starting a flame war about whether it's a good use of time is not the point. FWIW, only about 1300 kids have gotten the Spaatz award since it was created in the 60's or 70's, so even the CAP regs recommend that a GO or elected official present it.

I think it's cool that the CSAF is paying attention to CAP, he gives money from his budget (albeit not very much) to them each year, so why not check it out and give a photo op for their newspaper?

All I'm saying is don't assume that CAP is some SNAP factory that is producing the leaders of the AF. There are dorks in CAP and there are some pretty good dudes in there too. I don't know anything about how AD works, but I do know that that 16 year old girl has a kickass story about how the CSAF gave her an award she undoubtedly worked pretty hard for (it's more than taking a couple tests). If you want to know what it takes to get a Spaatz Award, PM me and I'll send you the regs on it.

Rant switch off.

Edited to add disclaimer at top.

[ 15. May 2006, 22:16: Message edited by: FSUBadger ]

They do...not as many as the AF does, but a pretty good amount. Oh, I meant to say that there are a lot of d-bag seniors who think that they're in the AF, they suck, but there are also a lot of good dudes.

CAP Regs

Edited to include address for CAP regs

[ 15. May 2006, 22:23: Message edited by: FSUBadger ]

Look man, here's my 2 cents...

CAP is a Air Force Boy or Girl Scouts. Some kids just cannot wait to get into the service, feeling that this is their calling; CAP gives them what they think the military's about - a pretty uniform to wear, learning marching and drill, honor/color guards, etc. Plus the SAR mish too, they can help out as aeriel observers or ground search teams.

the sad part is, minus the SAR stuff, that stuff is only a couple of weeks of basic/field training, a miniscule part of the actual Air Force experience. And just like ROTC people can turn into homos or academy guys douche-nozzles, some kids can get waaaaaaaay too into the experience and become that "Hitler Youth". I actually can't think of a better term to describe it than that.

From what I understand, this is a HUGE achievement for CAP - tantamount to becoming an Eagle Scout. I wouldn't know as I wasn't a CAP freak as a kid, I was into Boy Scouts instead. But I was briefly a Senior Member in college, and a person I knew in school had achieved the exact same thing. Not everybody ascends to that level.

Now, FWIW, that guy was a special guy in his own right...home-schooled his entire life, only social interactions with his peers were CAP I guess, and let's just say he was and still is pretty awkward socially. But the guy's got a good heart and is smart as hell.

Now this chick...yeah, I'd hit it, and her sis...

...if I were 14...

Guest T38driver

4fantrashcan...

Per your request, Here is a Bio on Carl A. Spaatz.

Regards,

General Carl A. Spaatz

Carl Andrew "Tooey" Spaatz was the first chief of staff of the independent Air Force and a main developer of tactical air doctrine. During World War II, Spaatz commanded the largest armada of aircraft and airmen ever assembled under the control of a single commander. In an historic first, he also commanded the Army plane "Question Mark" in its refueling endurance flight in California over the Los Angeles vicinity from Jan. 1 to 7, 1929, keeping the aircraft aloft a total of nearly 151 hours.

Spaatz was born in June 1891, in Boyertown, Penn. In his early years, he acquired the nickname "Tooey" which stuck with him his entire life. In 1910, he was appointed to the U.S. Military Academy, and commissioned a second lieutenant of Infantry in 1914. He served with the 25th U.S. Infantry at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, from 1914 to 1915, when he was detailed as a student in the Aviation School at San Diego, Calif.

In June 1916, Spaatz was assigned at Columbus, N. M., and served with the 1st Aero Squadron under Gen. John J. Pershing in the Punitive Expedition into Mexico. Spaatz went to France with the American Expeditionary Forces as commander of the 31st Aero Squadron. Later that year he became a member of the American Aviation School at Issoudun. In 1918 he joined the 2d Pursuit Group and was promoted to flight leader. On that assignment he was credited officially with downing three German Fokker aircraft and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross.

Spaatz commanded Kelly Field in Texas, the 1st Pursuit Group, the 7th Bombardment Group, and the 1st Bombardment Wing. During the Battle of Britain in the spring and summer of 1940 he spent several weeks in England as a special military observer. In August 1940 he was assigned again to the Office of the Chief of the Air Corps and two months later was appointed assistant to the Chief of the Air Corps with the temporary rank of brigadier general. He became chief of the Plans Division of the Air Corps in November 1940, and the following July he was named chief of the Air Staff at Army Air Forces Headquarters.

Several weeks after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Spaatz was assigned as chief of the AAF Combat Command at Washington. In May 1942 he became commander of the Eighth Air Force, transferring to the European theater of operations in July 1942 to prepare for the U.S. bombing campaign against Germany. On July 7 he was given additional duty as commanding general of the U.S. Army Air Forces in the European theater. On Dec. 1, 1942, Spaatz became commanding general of the Twelfth Air Force in North Africa, and the following February he assumed command of the Northwest African Air Force, which he organized. The following March he attained the temporary rank of lieutenant general.

After Rommel's Afrika Korps had been driven from North Africa and Italy had been invaded, Spaatz became deputy commander of the Mediterranean Allied Air Forces, including the Twelfth Air Force in Africa and the Fifteenth Air Force and the Royal Air Force in Italy. He returned to England in January 1944 to command the U.S. Strategic Air Forces in Europe, which he headed throughout the preinvasion period and ensuing campaign against Germany. He won the Distinguished Service Medal for his Africa service and in 1944 was awarded the Collier Trophy, given annually to the American making the most outstanding contribution to aviation. He was one of the chief strategists who resolved the intricate maze of logistics into an effective strategic bombing campaign for the defeat of Germany, Italy and Japan.

In March 1945 Spaatz received a temporary promotion to four-star rank and in June was assigned to Air Force headquarters in Washington, D.C. The following month he assumed command of the U.S. Strategic Air Forces in the Pacific. There he supervised the final strategic bombing of Japan by the B-29, including the two atomic bomb missions. He was present at all three signings of unconditional surrender by the enemy: at Rheims, at Berlin and aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay.

In October 1945 Spaatz returned to AAF headquarters, and the following February he was nominated to become commander of the Army Air Forces. In September 1947 President Truman appointed him as the first chief of staff of the new U. S. Air Force, a position he held until April 29, 1948.

Assessing the implications of atomic weaponry was only one of the major problems thrust upon the AAF in late 1945 and early 1946. Demobilization was also an issue. Spaatz had to oversee the dismantling of the world's most powerful air force and reduce it from 2,300,000 men to 400,000 and from 90,000 aircraft to less than 10,000. Besides the quest for autonomy, other goals that Spaatz pursued in concert with the first secretary of the Air Force, Stuart Symington, were the 70-group Air Force and the reorganization of the service along functional lines. Like Gen. Henry Arnold, Spaatz sought to press forward on scientific research and development and to build a viable aircraft industry.

Serving for only seven months as the Air Force's first chief of staff, he retired on June 30, 1948. In retirement, Spaatz wrote widely on air power subjects and was a contributing editor to Newsweek magazine. He also served on the Committee of Senior Advisors to the Air Force Chief of Staff, from 1952 until his death in 1974.

He was chairman of the National Executive Board of the Civil Air Patrol starting in 1948 and a member of the American Battle Monuments Commission beginning in 1953. He was a member of the board of directors and third vice president of the Retired Officers Association, and a past president and member of the board of directors and the executive committee of the Air Force Association. In addition, he was a past president and member of the board of trustees of the Air Force Historical Foundation. Other boards and committees on which Spaatz served included the Harmon International Trophy Committee, Committee for the Collier Trophy Award, the Hoover Committee on the Reorganization of the Executive Branch of the U.S. Government, and as chairman on the USAF Academy Site Selection Board.

Spaatz died of congestive heart failure on July 14, 1974, at the age of 83 and was interred at the U. S. Air Force Academy.

Sources compiled from Air Force History Support Office.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Chuck Farleston:

some kids can get waaaaaaaay too into the experience and become that "Hitler Youth". I actually can't think of a better term to describe it than that.

The CAP kids used to scream at one another out in the parking lot near the O'Club patio. We used those exact same words to describe them. It did not look fun and I decided there was no way I was ever going to let my kids get within 50 feet of CAP unless it was to kick one of their silly screaming red-faced asses.

They were frightening...but not as frightening as their parents.

The parents were always walking up to the O'Club asking if they could join us for a beer while they waited for their kids to finish their Hitler youth activities. We let that happen once...huge mistake. Those parents were EXTREMLY wierd.

Originally posted by bucky60k:

I don't understand. How come everybody is trashing a sixteen year old for doing a volunteer job?

Because she's a dork-ass overacheiver and I believe putting ambition in the place of friends and relationships makes you a piss-poor human being. Especially at the age of 16. Waaaay too much of that shit in the shoe-clerk corps. Also the "all of the pretty doors of opportunity" that are "opening" comment was one of the stupidest lines I've ever read.

I think getting your Spaatz in HS is a lot more admirable then going to lame parties, getting wasted and/or pregnant which is what her female classmates are doing.
I don't.

Like Hydro said it's all in good fun. In military aviation we live by the code of the playground...always make fun of those weaker than you. :D

HD

OK, firing squad. Step up to the line and take aim.

While I am waiting for my ticket to the "big show" (awaiting ANG NAV seclection), I have been serving in CAP. And I am here to tell you, you're right about almost damn near everything said about CAP.

Much of the leadership in this program has major "little emperor" issues and are proud to strut around tossing out orders. Many of the leaders are training the cadet members like the boy scouts and do concern themselves with saluting and the appearance of leadership rather than the actual practice. And yes, many (probably the majority) of our memebers think that this is a flying club so that fat civilians can "burn holes in the sky" in a T-41 on Uncle Sam.

But there are some redeming parts of the program too. Believe it or not, there are CAP units out there that do what needs to be done. They train and prepare for the emergency services missions seriously. They teach cadets how to be true leaders, by example and by taking care of their people. They do it as unpaid professionals who are ready to kick ass at a moment's notice to rescue those in need--even military pilots.

Think about that the next time you see some CAP members on base. You can make the assumption that they are no-nothing wanna-bes or you can actually oberve what the individual is doing and see if it has merit. Otherwise it would be like saying that all officers in the USAF are shoe clerks or SNAPs, which we all know isn't true.

Allright let the s storm rain down on me. I was a CAP Cadet, I have the Spaatz award, I don't consider myself to be the largest douchebag around although I agree with about 90% of what everyone is complaining about and will probably never waste my time on CAP again, unless its in some capacity to help the little kiddies

However I must say in my time spent in the program especially at one squadron the cadet program was a worthwhile endeavour. The same year I joined we had a couple other people who joined,

1 is completing his masters at MIT before going to ENJJPT

2 have just commissioned and are awaiting pilot training

2 have enlisted in the ANG.

Not bad for a group of about 20 people, but the program has definitely taken a turn for the worse