Altus AFB info

Guest C-21 Pilot

Guest Crew Report

If you like Pick Up Taco, rumor is La Hacienda is owned by the same folks. A few more seats and sit-down service. May have been mentioned earlier, but decent BBQ at Tommy Joe's.

La Hacidenda was closed when I went to CFIC in '08. I've heard they opened back up with new management. There's a pretty good BBQ place down in Vernon, TX as well.

Guest Touch & Go Rentals

I enjoyed a BBQ place just North of town in Blair. I think it was called Memphis BBQ served out of a service station on 283 just before you get Warren Rd. It seems like we had just enough time to get there and back and eat in an hour lunch break.

• 1 month later...

Im going to be at Altus in a couple of months and would like to stay off base. Im guessing that you have to check-in with base housing first and get a non-a before you are allowed to go elsewhere. If this is the case, do the apartment complexes in town usually accommodate on such short notice? From reading this thread, the Madison Trail apartments seem to be a good place to live. Anyone have any recent experience to help out? Thanks

Im going to be at Altus in a couple of months and would like to stay off base. Im guessing that you have to check-in with base housing first and get a non-a before you are allowed to go elsewhere. If this is the case, do the apartment complexes in town usually accommodate on such short notice? From reading this thread, the Madison Trail apartments seem to be a good place to live. Anyone have any recent experience to help out? Thanks

The short answer is you can stay wherever you please. The government is only on the hook for the on-base lodging rate or the rate "downtown" for any days on a non-availability slip. That said, $30x30 nights=$900/month in rent. I don't live in an apartment, but you in the past.

Crew Dawg...how do you actually pay for the apartment if you decide to get one?

The short answer is you can stay wherever you please. The government is only on the hook for the on-base lodging rate or the rate "downtown" for any days on a non-availability slip. That said, $30x30 nights=$900/month in rent. I don't live in an apartment, but you in the past.

Crew Dawg...how do you actually pay for the apartment if you decide to get one?

Gold, a few goats, your first born or even sexual favors if you're in to that. Me...I used Visa.

But seriously...if you choose to live off base with no Non-A, you will only be reimbursed the on base rate. You can use your travel card but I used my personal card that way I avoided the dreaded accrual voucher. At the time USAA was offering 4% interest on your card if you are PCSing. My furnished apartment including utilities and cable was less than the on base rate. Plus you bank your BAH from your previous assignment if you go TDY enroute.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who has been through Altus for C-17 PIQ lately know how they are with leave? I'm a groomsman in my buddies wedding and really would like to make it. I would like to leave on a Thursday night and return Sunday and would also like to buy tickets while they are cheap. I'm still stuck in the "suck it up" UPT mindset, so....

Thanks for the help.

Guest Crew Report

Anyone who has been through Altus for C-17 PIQ lately know how they are with leave? I'm a groomsman in my buddies wedding and really would like to make it. I would like to leave on a Thursday night and return Sunday and would also like to buy tickets while they are cheap. I'm still stuck in the "suck it up" UPT mindset, so....

Thanks for the help.

You'll have to coordinate that through the 97 TRS Airlift Flt/CC. Best time is during inprocessing day.

Thanks for the help.

If it falls during the Boeing portion it is pretty easy to get the time off and easy for the FLT/CC approval. On day one you should meet Mr. Barnes (I think that's his name) and he'll ask you which weekends you would like to have as long weekends. IIRC I had 3 3day weekends and 2 4day weekends. It's a pretty chill course and the Boeing guys will almost always work with you.

If it falls during the Boeing portion it is pretty easy to get the time off and easy for the FLT/CC approval. On day one you should meet Mr. Barnes (I think that's his name) and he'll ask you which weekends you would like to have as long weekends. IIRC I had 3 3day weekends and 2 4day weekends. It's a pretty chill course and the Boeing guys will almost always work with you.

His name is Mr. Bayers, otherwise mostly correct. The other side of the coin is that if you are on the flightline, you'll need to coordinate with the long-range schedulers at the 58th. If it adversely affects the timeline, don't hold your breath. Also keep in mind sim maintenance, weather, jet maintenance and follow-on training, i.e. survival of varying flavors. In the end, you're here for training, but we do what we can.

Which apartment did you stay at? I hear Madison Trail is the choice apartments but I hear Applecreek isn't that bad either

I stayed at Enterprise Square. Not the nicest but it was cheap and they'll work with you on about anything.

• 1 month later...
Guest Crew Report

Just a suggestion....

With all this talk about apartments, etc. - if you can get a non-A, then I would suggest staying at the Hampton Inn and start building up your Hilton Honors points.

Hampton isn't bad, neither is the Holiday Inn Express they built a few years ago. Stay away from the Best Western and the Friendship Inn.

• 3 months later...
Guest tneiheis

Has anyone stayed at either evergreen or madison trail? Neither of them have websites and i am tryingto get an idea of what to expect.

Madison Trail is arguably the best apartments in Altus. I did hear from a friend that the walls are thin, but don't worry there aren't any hott girls to bone in the area, so unless you bring your own... you are SOL.

• 1 month later...
Guest tneiheis

Hey quick question, can you use your GTC to pay for the deposit on a apartment while TDY? Also, does Madison Trail accept the GTC?

Hey quick question, can you use your GTC to pay for the deposit on a apartment while TDY? Also, does Madison Trail accept the GTC?

I did, no problems, but at the end (at least at Enterprise) they cut the check in your name so technically you need to deposit that into the GTC. I'm pretty sure all the apartment complex's took credit (aka GTC) but if you have the new CSA I have no clue how that works.

• 1 month later...

Did you all take care of the lodging issues when you got to Altus or beforehand? Should I call the base lodging and see if the new lodging is available or just try and get somewhere off base, like a hotel. Also, for those of you staying in a hotel, what are the rates running and did you make the reservation for your entire stay? I'll be heading there for 135 PIQ in mid-June. Thanks!

Did you all take care of the lodging issues when you got to Altus or beforehand? Should I call the base lodging and see if the new lodging is available or just try and get somewhere off base, like a hotel. Also, for those of you staying in a hotel, what are the rates running and did you make the reservation for your entire stay? I'll be heading there for 135 PIQ in mid-June. Thanks!

Are you married or single?

You basically go to the Inn and find out if you are awesome and got a Non-A or you suck and you stay on base.

If you are staying on or off base you aren't paying for it...so the rates don't really mater (77 a day though).

If you have a Non-A you get 46 or something a day. If you don't have a Non-A then it's like 26.

You don't need to make reservations, the AF handle's all that for you.

Edited by stoleit2x

• 4 weeks later...

Whats the problem with staying on base? Is it just because its a dump or what?

I think living on base is a better option. You can get hammered at Charlies and walk back to your room, and if you get hammered off base there is a free drunk bus that goes to Trader Tom's and Scoots to get everyone back on. Plus, early morning sims are less painful when you live right across the street. Another bonus is the newer dorms have a kitchen and you don't have to worry about a heroin addict breaking into your truck for $0.69 to get their next fix.

I agree with RSD for the most part...but the last time I was there was 2007. It was nice having Charlies, Sq, Sim, Gym, etc all within walking distance.

I stayed off base the first time I went through. It was nice being close to Walmart and ... well, that's about all there is in Altus.