New Texan Paint Scheme?

bucky60k

From what I gather, the gist of this crap is to save a bit of money by painting everything gray. If that's really the case and this actually saves some cash then ok by me. If this is some attempt to make UPT into some tactical something or other that we all know it isn't then it is dumber than shit.

Originally posted by busdriver:

save a bit of money by painting everything gray. If that's really the case and this actually saves some cash then ok by me.

That may have worked had they not painted all three planes a different shade of grey.

4i5bdqr.jpg

2m484f6.jpg

2hoyck5.jpg

HD

[ 22. December 2006, 02:51: Message edited by: HerkDerka ]

From what I was told about the "grey" paint jobs on the t-1's and the t-6's was that they had money left over and needed to spend it, but they only painted a handful of them. Also some Gen. wanted to make the pilot's/students feel like in an operational jet and not in trainer. However it just makes them even harder to see. But what do I know that was what they told a lowly Lt.

[ 22. December 2006, 10:50: Message edited by: cragspider ]

Originally posted by cragspider:

Also some Gen. wanted to make the pilot's/students feel like in an operational jet and not in trainer.

If that's the case......then wow.

As a stud, why should you give two shits what color your trainer is? Unless you're putting warheads on foreheads, passing gas, or doing airdrops/airland in Derka Derka Stan (sorry for the missions I left out... I wasn't trying to be all-inclusive), you are not in an "operational jet".

Stud: (as he's getting off the crew bus at UPT base) "Sweet! We have a 'grey jet' today.... I feel the need... the need.....for speed! Let's go hack the mish!"

Come on....

Randolph has a ton of different colored jets. They have the dark gray/light gray 38's, the Moody-scheme 38's, the white/dark T-6's, the new gray T-6's, the white Tones and the gray Tones. The only things that haven't changed are the ones heading to the boneyard- the -37 and the -43.

One of the T-1 instructors at Randolph told me the gray scheme was for contrast. Apparently the gray is much easier to see during the day.

Also, the student wouldn't be saying "Sweet, we have a gray jet today!" ...more like "Fvck, I'm gonna puke before taxi today!" ...an unofficial study at Randy puts the gray T-1 cockpits nearly twenty degrees warmer than the white ones during the summer. All crews that I spoke with prefer the white planes.

-----------

Wxpunk

Guest MeowMix

What, AF doesnt like NAVY orange ??

I was at Edwards, the orange test scheme does cost more, AFAIK, about 60% more than the 1 color grey with no gloss coating. AFMC in 99 was wanting to cust costs by switching.

The NAVY does not seem to care about cost, they have no idea what seperation, ATC, or radar traffic patterns are, everything is VISUAL separation so orange and white are here to stay.

Mar2006txC-%20150c.jpg

Guest thefranchise

the gray T6s were a test bed. i was told by PIT IPs the idea is dead. was a test project from the last general i believe.

Originally posted by MeowMix:

The NAVY does not seem to care about cost, they have no idea what seperation, ATC, or radar traffic patterns are, everything is VISUAL separation so orange and white are here to stay.

I guess they have all that money to spare for their orange/white since they sure as hell don't use it on MX, plasma screens, and..... grass.