Post retirement part-time military job

Question for the crowd.

Does anyone know of opportunities that will allow you to collect your retirement, but also retain the ability to go on orders for short periods of time?

Examples could look like:

1. Part-time technician that could do things like sit alert from time to time.
  2. White jet instructor (DSG/ART) that can turn a few sorties a month at a UPT base.
  3. A "points" only gig like USAFA liaison officer - not sure if something like that would even qualify for USERRA.

Why? To be able to collect basically the full retirement, keep flying military jets, and also retain full USERRA control over one's airline schedule when necessary.

Just looking to the crowd to see if there's stuff out there I'm unaware of as I approach my date.

1 hour ago, ViperMan said:

Question for the crowd.

Does anyone know of opportunities that will allow you to collect your retirement, but also retain the ability to go on orders for short periods of time?

2. White jet instructor (DSG/ART) that can turn a few sorties a month at a UPT base.
  3. A "points" only gig like USAFA liaison officer - not sure if something like that would even qualify for USERRA.

Why? To be able to collect basically the full retirement, keep flying military jets, and also retain full USERRA control over one's airline schedule when necessary.

Just looking to the crowd to see if there's stuff out there I'm unaware of as I approach my date.

It’s called indispensability, and word on the strips is it’s only being approved for O6s rising to O7.

1 hour ago, Pancake said:

It’s called indispensability, and word on the strips is it’s only being approved for O6s rising to O7.

Even then, it's not always approved in the ANG.  Our Army TAG denied it for our old WG/CC, who would have been a great asset with a star at state.  Reason for denial?  Because he's Army and they make a lot of fucked up decisions lol.  In the end probably the best thing for my boss, having one job is one of the best things going. 

To the OP.  It's tough enough being a part timer when you're an airline pilot, which is the easiest road for DSGs.  Our guys who did other jobs, struggled even more.  Funny enough, the guy who got the most grief from his employer, worked for the USAF as a civilian. 

The only way I'd consider doing this path is if you live local to both jobs as any commuting makes you're life infinitely more miserable.  Even then I'd think long and hard why you're hanging around.  It's a lot of sacrifice for you and your family.  If you're going to an air airline you'll give up the ability to control your schedule, but you probably wouldn't really need that much anyway.  It's certainly not something I'd hang around after having 20 years TAFMS.  Many states wouldn't even hire you because of that alone.  Heck, we sometimes couldn't even keep our own people once that have their 20 unless they're on a command track.  

Just my humble opinion.  But either stay AD if you still have itch to serve or just retire.  Enjoy the check/tricare and the insane amount of free time you'll have with only having one job.  As someone who is recently retired after staying a few years after my 20 (as a DSG, not AGR), I understand not wanting to fully separate.  However,  it was a massive stress relief when I retired.  Trust me, you'll find things to fill you're time. 

Best of luck in your decision.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SocialD said:

going to an air airline 

Damn Bro!  You DL guys put a space in the word airline even when it makes absolutely no sense!!  Thanks for the chuckle!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, O Face said:

Damn Bro!  You DL guys put a space in the word airline even when it makes absolutely no sense!!  Thanks for the chuckle!  

Good catch, I saw it as well.  

NERD   (Never Ever Really Delta)

Edited by Springer

Question for the crowd.

Yes, it’s the indispensability program which is a 2 yr TR contract.

I know multiple people who have done it recently, and they are rewriting the regs to make it easier.

You have to find a unit in need of manning and be in a needed career field such as a current 11F.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

There are civilians flying military aircraft.  Some are civil servants.  Some are contractors.  They, obviously, keep their retirement pay  

They do not have USERRA protection.  

Edited by HuggyU2

On 3/19/2024 at 11:16 AM, ViperMan said:

Question for the crowd.

When you are on orders or in any military status (flying airplanes) you don't collect retirement, it's prorated.  In order to collect full retirement, you would need a title 5 position (civilian only) which does not have USERRA protection.  Letters of indispensability are very possible for under O-6.  We have several IPs doing it now as O-5s.