Maryland Losing A-10s and Flying Mission

Young guys are in a tough spot, not like there’s a bunch of TXs floating around the guard right now. But, even they can hop on the airline train if they desire, but understandably that’s usually the furthest from your mind as a young fighter pilot. Good luck boys, hope you get to wherever you want to end up. 

• Upvote 1

Agree with Brabus, always a tough spot to be in.  Circa 2013, my squadron had 10 or 11 refugees (nearly 1/3rd of the squadron) from 5 different squadrons being shut down.  Off the top of my head, I think they shut down about 13ish fighter squadrons back then (or converted them).  Lots of guys looking for new homes and a few of my buddies ended up just converting to non-fighter airframes due to a lack of will of moving or there just being no jobs/TX to be had.  These young bucks need to cast a wide net if they want to have a good shot of finding a home in a fighter squadron.  

Off the top of my head, Atlantic City, New Orleans and Homestead appear to always be hiring.   As Brabus said, TX spots might be the LIMFAC.  If I were a young guy and I didn't have time for the Legacies, I'd grab a regional gig.  Pay is damn nice right now, you'll stay flying and have non-rev bennies to jump around to all the bases easily.  Hopefully, you'll get picked up at a Legacy and then can drop MLOA to convert to your next airframe.  Or, just be thankful for the time you had in the jet, get to a legacy and enjoy making damn good money with lots of time off.  It will never compare to a good, tight-knit fighter squadron, but you'll certainly not sacrifice as much.   ...my 25 year old self would tell me to fuck off with that statement lol!  

• Like 2