Switching to AD from AFRC while in training

Has anyone heard of this happening while someone is still in UPT? Asking for a friend whose personal life fell apart while in training assigned to the 340th. No more interest in going back home and wants to ride the adventure of AD for better or worse.

I've been in the AETC-flavored side of the TFI unholy alliance for 13 of my 18 years in this so-called career, and I can't say I've ever heard of an unqualified AFRC accessions incurring a UFT ADSC via RegAF switcharoo. I'm not aware of any accessions vehicle that would cover that request. Technically, he'd be stealing an OTS pilot slot in the current fiscal year in doing so, but that's also a hypothetical. What I do know is he has a a 10 year UFT RSC upon completion of wings to AFRC, and AFRC paid for him to go to UPT, not regAF.

VLPADs do exist however, as does IMAs who can get activated for years (know of one who rode it for like 5). Both are, definitionally, temporary programs/statuses. They also generally deal with experienced folks in current and qualified status in whatever air force mission there is a shortage of full time manning. So that generally wouldn't help your buddy right now, as a 92T0 cannon fodder.

• Upvote 1

I think your buddy is stuck. There likely aren’t unfilled AD slots he could just slide into. If he quits, that’s probably the end of flying in the mil. If he wants to fly, then suck it up, go to the home unit for a couple years, and look for a transfer to another unit or a VLPAD option.

• Like 1

Seen it happen several times…no rule, but generally they’re around for 2-3 years post MQT before changing units/doing a VLPAD. The ARC is generally far better at caring about what’s best for you than AD is. Any good CC will support him doing what’s best for his life. But up to the day he leaves, be a good dude and put the effort in. That will make leadership care more about helping out.

• Upvote 1