The India thread

So I watched a Zeihan video today on India in a post American led world…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41AEoEkgDm0

and I concur with Zeihan that India is not exactly a friend, not an enemy, my description would be a shrewd business associate occasionally.  

I listened to 2034 WW3 novel by Ackerman and Stavridis about a year ago and India plays a role there again not exactly friend or foe, just a techno war novel but seems like the policy makers and works see this also, India is not the next great ally we hoped for to balance against China. 

If this is so, is engagement (arms sales, exercises, security agreements, etc) long term a bad idea.  Should we keep them at arm’s length?

download(12).jpeg.9f72c3bba3884cc2741d4eec008d074d.jpeg

I couldn't resist....

11 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

concur with Zeihan that India is not exactly a friend, not an enemy, my description would be a shrewd business associate occasionally.  

This. 100%

They could have been a critical ally; but a lot of bad blood with the US, going back to the 70s where we sent the 7th fleet to India’s Eastern Shores threatening to invade them if they develop nuclear weapons while we didn’t care less that Pakistan, the most radical terrorist infested country in the world, was doing the same. Then after 9/11, we cozied up to the same radical infested country with Pakistan. Lo and behold, the 9/11 mastermind was being harbored by Pakistan. India is the largest democracy in the world with a populace that is generally pro western and well aligned with US views against radical Islamic terrorism.  Engagements, exercises = yes, arms sales = no. 

They could have been a critical ally; but a lot of bad blood with the US, going back to the 70s where we sent the 7th fleet to India’s Eastern Shores threatening to invade them if they develop nuclear weapons while we didn’t care less that Pakistan, the most radical terrorist infested country in the world, was doing the same. Then after 9/11, we cozied up to the same radical infested country with Pakistan. Lo and behold, the 9/11 mastermind was being harbored by Pakistan. India is the largest democracy in the world with a populace that is generally pro western and well aligned with US views against radical Islamic terrorism.  Engagements, exercises = yes, arms sales = no. 

Didn’t know about that in the 70s, is that a specific event, would want to know more about it.

I think that India can serve two purposes in our upcoming sequel to Cold War 1, a type of foil to China and a link to a wounded and pissed off insular Russia after the Ukraine War stops MCO, my belief is it will likely be a frozen conflict with a very tense situation for the next few decades. India can help the West with Russia and we can help them vis a vis China

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2