ANG Promotions

I’m struggling to find some info. How can an ANG Officer find when they are eligible for promotion? My DOR to O-4 was 1 Oct 19, and my unit is having a mass exodus of O-5s this year freeing up a ton of O-5 billets. Would I be eligible to meet next years O-5 board and pin on 1 Oct 23?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

There are two ways to get promoted in the Air Guard: position vacancy and ROPMA.  Position vacancy requires you be assigned to a vacant higher-graded position.   Appropriate PME completed is also a defacto requirement.  Once assigned to the position, your commander will need to write a letter nominating you for promotion which gets staffing through your JFHQ.  You then appear before a FEDREC board (some states have you do it in person) and once approved by the board your package gets sent to NGB.  You need 4 years TIG to appear in front of the FEDREC board and then it can take 6-12 months to get approval from NGB.   So realistically you are looking at 5 years before pinning on O5, although your date of rank will be backdated to the date of your FEDREC board.

The other way to get promoted is ROPMA.  ROPMA for O5 is 7 years TIG, so you are hitting the board 6-12 months before that.  Doesn't require PME, although if your state is like mine, you will get an automatic DNP going to the board which will most likely result in you not getting promoted.  If you are ROPMA promoted to O5 while in an O4 position there is a provision that you can continue to occupy the position until you have 20 years in and can retire.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jcollins said:

The other way to get promoted is ROPMA.  ROPMA for O5 is 7 years TIG, so you are hitting the board 6-12 months before that.  Doesn't require PME, although if your state is like mine, you will get an automatic DNP going to the board which will most likely result in you not getting promoted.  If you are ROPMA promoted to O5 while in an O4 position there is a provision that you can continue to occupy the position until you have 20 years in and can retire.

Crazy enough, some states have a policy of making their O-3s ROPMA to O-4.  On the other hand, we have a dude who ROPMA'd to O-4 and will be heading to a ROPMA board for O-5 soon.  I'm expecting that he'll be promoted.  If early promotion is something you're wanting, research your squadrons/states closely.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jcollins said:

There are two ways to get promoted in the Air Guard: position vacancy and ROPMA.  Position vacancy requires you be assigned to a vacant higher-graded position.   Appropriate PME completed is also a defacto requirement.  Once assigned to the position, your commander will need to write a letter nominating you for promotion which gets staffing through your JFHQ.  You then appear before a FEDREC board (some states have you do it in person) and once approved by the board your package gets sent to NGB.  You need 4 years TIG to appear in front of the FEDREC board and then it can take 6-12 months to get approval from NGB.   So realistically you are looking at 5 years before pinning on O5, although your date of rank will be backdated to the date of your FEDREC board.

Reserve works mostly the same way with PV and ROPMA, right? I guess the FEDREC portion wouldn't apply, but any other significant differences for AFRC compared to ANG?

On 6/2/2022 at 4:53 AM, jcollins said:

If you are ROPMA promoted to O5 while in an O4 position there is a provision that you can continue to occupy the position until you have 20 years in and can retire.

For clarity are you referring to "sanctuary?" The two (sanctuary and ROPMA x2 to O-4 and O-5) will likely be coincidental but are not causal. In my neck of the ANG, one can only overgrade a position (O-5 in an O-4) for two years before you're either forced out (almost non existent chance), retirement, or finding another position in the O-5 grade. Generally speaking your SQ/CC can/should have some sort of force management plan addresses this before it becomes a problem for the member i.e. the CC will selectively non retain Lt Col "X" to allow Lt Col "Y" occupy the position for his/her third year (to retire as an O-5). On the enlisted side they can take off the stripe. 

Another factor for promotion is the availability of a control grade in your state. My state historically under executes O-5 control grades so this isn't much a factor but it certainly is a factor for E-8/E-9 promotions... which is an entirely different story. 

I got ROPMA promoted to O-5 without PME. It is fairly common if you've got OPR's on the stronger side. IP/EP-types who are assigned to some sort of SQ job (ADO, Flt/CC, etc) and/or filled a deployed leadership position once or twice shouldn't have an issue. My unit was notorious for years for taking everyone to ROPMA; even O-3's with SOS done, which is why I took my chances without PME. I was presented with a position vacancy when I was a full-timer, but I was so burnt out there was no way I was doing ACSC to entertain leadership. Now depending on your ROPMA date, the unit can accelerate your promotion to 1 Oct. You already appear to be aligned with fiscal year so it won't matter.