2022 Active Duty Flying Training Board

I would think of it less as us RPA dudes jumping ship and more of us just trying to jump on other opportunities. Flying Reapers has been the best job I’ve ever had hands down. But I love flying and it was my goal to fly manned since I began seeking a career in the Air Force. So anyone who is applying for RPAs and gets picked up it’s still a fantastic job. And arguably still probably the most likely to have first hand effects on the battle field. 

• Like 3

I would think of it less as us RPA dudes jumping ship and more of us just trying to jump on other opportunities. Flying Reapers has been the best job I’ve ever had hands down. But I love flying and it was my goal to fly manned since I began seeking a career in the Air Force. So anyone who is applying for RPAs and gets picked up it’s still a fantastic job. And arguably still probably the most likely to have first hand effects on the battle field. 

Love the response, thanks! I am hoping for it, but to be honest I’ll take anything they select me for if they select me!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1

Been lurking here for awhile. Currently an RPA dood, but platform is being divested. Had some AFPC bros come to our squadron a couple months back to talk about possible moves. They advised that the UPT req numbers would be more than last year and that there were less applicants than last year. Our wing usually has a few applicants apply and we average about two of them being picked up. Only one was picked up last year (sadly it wasn’t me) and now I’m the only person applying from my wing this year so the AFPC folks might be right about it. Good luck to everyone! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NAVI said:

Been lurking here for awhile. Currently an RPA dood, but platform is being divested. Had some AFPC bros come to our squadron a couple months back to talk about possible moves. They advised that the UPT req numbers would be more than last year and that there were less applicants than last year. Our wing usually has a few applicants apply and we average about two of them being picked up. Only one was picked up last year (sadly it wasn’t me) and now I’m the only person applying from my wing this year so the AFPC folks might be right about it. Good luck to everyone! 

Best of luck brother. Gotta feel good knowing your the only push from the wing ! Last year no one from my entire OG made it out of the wing but this year I made the cut…right before I left said wing…go figure lol. So I’m stoked to even have my name in the hat. So I’m assuming you are either global hawk or AFSOC push?  since I know 432 has many who apply/get pushed. 

Edited by BANDIT_K

1 hour ago, BANDIT_K said:

Best of luck brother. Gotta feel good knowing your the only push from the wing ! Last year no one from my entire OG made it out of the wing but this year I made the cut…right before I left said wing…go figure lol. So I’m stoked to even have my name in the hat. So I’m assuming you are either global hawk or AFSOC push?  since I know 432 has many who apply/get pushed. 

Good luck to you too! I’m a Block 30 Global Hawk guy. It was a real good gig until it got cut haha. Always wanted manned and last year was the first time to apply, but got unlucky. Pretty decent scores and only push from the wing this year has me a little more confident, but you still never know. 

On 1/1/2022 at 5:22 PM, OldmanUFT21 said:

It’s my number 1. Looking at future and retirement it would set me up the best after the Air Force.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

People have been painting an unrealistically rosey picture of the state of RPAs. Wish I had some of that blue koolaid  

Read the RAND reports the GAO reports and the Mitchell is tires publications. Nothing much has changed for this community, manning has gotten better. Congress was/is tracking it and when it was as bad as it was, the only way to go is up. 

If you want to be a pilot, I would stay away from RPAs. You’ll only be a pilot in your tiny section of the Air Force. No one outside of it will see you as a a pilot, and likely you’ll be seen as an either a joke or a threat. If you want to fly, use your gi bill, go work for an airline, save yourself some trouble. 

If you want to fly at 1g, get no FAA certifications,  fight to remain relevant even despite 20 years of combat ops, fight for funding while the Air Force is buying literal t-6s with weapons on them and locally piloted aircraft, have several additional duties at the squadron level, and occasionally get a chance blow some baddies up then go for it. 

51 minutes ago, That_Guy said:

Is the ENJJPT numbers included within the pilot selects when they post the results of the board, or do they not include those numbers into the results?

Yes, they should be included when they post the results. This has been the SOP for previous boards so I do not see why it would be any different this coming year.

Getting close to release and I have a question to try and calm my nerves. I am a current and qualified CSO applying for UPT. I got my FC1 in Dec 2020 which finalized af2808 and af2992 for pilot with no issues. I sent my application in with that 2020, af2992, which was obviously expired since I don't refresh a pilot level physical yearly for my cso job. The PSDM mentioned an initial FC1 was current for 4years, and that often current rated applicants send in the wrong 2992 with no proof of pilot qual, so I sent in the older 2020 af2992. Do you think the fact it was "expired" would have caused any issues? Or, is the currency of an initial FC1 of 4 years good to cover it? Thanks....just trying to keep my mind off it while we wait, good luck everyone!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Gumby8967 said:

Getting close to release and I have a question to try and calm my nerves. I am a current and qualified CSO applying for UPT. I got my FC1 in Dec 2020 which finalized af2808 and af2992 for pilot with no issues. I sent my application in with that 2020, af2992, which was obviously expired since I don't refresh a pilot level physical yearly for my cso job. The PSDM mentioned an initial FC1 was current for 4years, and that often current rated applicants send in the wrong 2992 with no proof of pilot qual, so I sent in the older 2020 af2992. Do you think the fact it was "expired" would have caused any issues? Or, is the currency of an initial FC1 of 4 years good to cover it? Thanks....just trying to keep my mind off it while we wait, good luck everyone!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say a 2992 "expires" it just updates to the most recent thing, annuals, DNIF status, etc. The board in my experience just wants to see if you have a qualifying medical and if I remember correctly only the AFPC reps see it, the board members don't. So if you sent the 2992 med gave you with the IFC-1 approval stamp you should be good. I don't think they go digging through IMR to confirm the most recent 2992.

I think they were looking for the  2808 showing the IFC for FC1 not just a current 2992, at least that's how I interpreted it. I sent both. 

The stink of it is I think the annual physicals for FC1/2/3 are the exactly the same. The 4 year counter is for entry into training pipeline requiring that class of physical regardless. 

Edited by Bric
Wrong date

7 minutes ago, Bric said:

I think they were looking for the  2808 showing the IFC for FC1 not just a current 2992, at least that's how I interpreted it. I sent both. 

The stink of it is I think the annual physicals for FC1/2/3 are the exactly the same. The 5 year counter is for entry into training pipeline requiring that class of physical regardless. 

Aren't they only good for 3 years? 

6 minutes ago, UCThopeful said:

Based on credible intel I received (AFPC), results are anticipated to be pushed out next week. I figured I would bother folks on behalf of everyone on here so y'all don't have to.

Cc notification or public release?

2 minutes ago, Bric said:

My mistake, it's actually 4 years from the certification date per 48-123.

Sweet. I did mine this past summer so I can apply until 2025 when I'll probably just bounce if I don't get picked up for AD or guard.