DoD Dine Smart Traveler Rewards

Scooter14

Got it, signed up just to see what the benefits rates are. 

Have to use card, limited restaurant options (Pizza Hut, Outback, Applebees kind of restaraunts), but the benefit is only 1%.  It just cannot compare to any of the decent credit cards.  They may be able to make me use my card for lodging and such, but no way am I going to give up the miles/points for food.

Has anyone honestly gotten pushback for NOT using the card outside of DTS booked airfare?  I have yet to encounter any resistance in 15+ years.
Some heartburn if not used for rental cars, ticket transportation, and hotels. Just had to justify use of personal card (forgot gtcc a few times since it normally doesn't stay in my wallet), but no problem getting reimbursed.

4 hours ago, uhhello said:

Has anyone honestly gotten pushback for NOT using the card outside of DTS booked airfare?  I have yet to encounter any resistance in 15+ years.

Yes. Know one person that received an LOA for it. (However, there were surrounding circumstances as well. He didn't receive DTS authorizations prior to leaving and didn't have commander VOCO to go without one, 5 week TDY, didn't submit accruals, came back and bombed the squadrons finances at the end of the Fiscal Year.) 

Some heartburn if not used for rental cars, ticket transportation, and hotels. Just had to justify use of personal card (forgot gtcc a few times since it normally doesn't stay in my wallet), but no problem getting reimbursed.

This has been my experience as well. I’ve had billeting give me a hard time as well but I’ve always gotten reimbursed.

I use it for rentals for the insurance, airline tickets and lodging.

I’ll take a few bucks out before I go TDY or use it in a sketchy overseas ATM.

Why anyone would use it for meals is beyond me.

I try my GTC once for lodging and if it doesn't work then I use my personal card. I also found out that adding a loyalty program to DTS may automatically book a hotel or rental car using the personal card on file with the company.

It's not on my to tell SATO how to book a reservation so I never bring it up and get the points.

2 hours ago, Scooter14 said:

This has been my experience as well. I’ve had billeting give me a hard time as well but I’ve always gotten reimbursed.

I use it for rentals for the insurance, airline tickets and lodging.

I’ll take a few bucks out before I go TDY or use it in a sketchy overseas ATM.

Why anyone would use it for meals is beyond me.

How do you get it for airline?  are these outside of DTS?