Ever see a WX balloon at altitude?

DeHavilland

Put this into the “I can’t believe it column”. This week I was coming back from Souda Bay when at FL410 and just entering Swiss airspace, I noticed an aircraft approaching us from the opposite direction, slightly higher and offset to the left of our track. I took a quick glance at the TCAS which showed no traffic. I looked back up to see that the “traffic” was going to pass pretty darn close. The old adage if it does not appear to be moving it is very close and about to hit you came to play, when I realized I was looking at a weather balloon. It was about 4 feet in diameter and had a cord maybe 15 feet long with an instrument package attached to it. It passed approximately 50’ above us and 100’ off our wingtip. I did get the other pilot to quickly see it, so it was not just me seeing some reflection off of swamp gas back lit by the sun with Venus in alignment. Based on our FMS it was moving East at 56 knots with the upper wind. Big sky little balloon theory is great until you share that little piece of the sky. Anyone else ever seen one up close like this?

Guest DangerousLT

Wx balloons don't affect ESA's. It's not like they're tethered...

[ 26. January 2007, 11:14: Message edited by: Skids Down ]

Had just departed RND on our way to ADW, and flying in the weather when all of a sudden something bright red caught our eye...it was one of those standard party balloons. Came within a few feet. Woudn't cause any damage, but wasn't too cool to see a flash of red when you're in IMC.

Almost hit one of those mylar balloons too...in Socal.

Originally posted by Skids Down:

Wx balloons don't affect ESA's. It's not like they're tethered...

Sure they do (if they're thethered). I've seen tethered balloons between 7,000 and 13,000 before. They have one down in Corpus and the ESA for every LL route is 13,000M.

Originally posted by C21Cowboy:

it was one of those standard party balloons.

Funny you mentioned that. I had a red balloon pass five or ten feet over my wingtip while flying up initial on my first area solo in Tweets.

HD

Yeah one time I was taking off of 28L at KLAN early in the morning and I saw this weird balloon off to my left. I thought it was cool so I took a picture of it with my camera phone.

adamski_type_ufo.jpg

Guest DangerousLT
Originally posted by HerkDerka:

Sure they do (if they're thethered). I've seen tethered balloons between 7,000 and 13,000 before. They have one down in Corpus and the ESA for every LL route is 13,000M.

HD

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by slacker130:

I passed a mylar red heart balloon on Feb 14 a few years back at 14,000ft. I assumed it said Happy Valentine's Day.

You have one shit hot wife/girlfriend if she can pull that one off!

About a month ago I was on the ramp at Naples with a pretty good wind blowing. The other pilot and I were amazed to see a horse shaped ballon "galloping" through the air. Based on the distance it was about 10' across as it came across the active at app. 300' and went over the tower and ramp.

Guest SpyGadget

Came across this last month off the gulf coast of Texas just north of the old Matagorda Island AFB.

1000ft AGL going opposite direction of the 15 knot wind.

Anyone have a clue what that thing is?

25yp78

Try this if the you see the red x.

WTF Is this?

[ 31. January 2007, 18:50: Message edited by: SpyGadget ]

Helo Dude, you're right about that red balloon near one of the Laughlin MOA's at 140. I saw it once. I've heard several funny stories of how it scared the piss out of students on their initial area solos.

I came across a weather balloon at 280 the other day near Lake Tahoe. Big @ss balloon.