Logbook Questions

Guest kirkhac

Guest kirkhac

I have heard that the blue logbooks with the wings on the cover are not recognized by the airlines. I'd like to start logging my flights not only as a backup to my flight records but to have something to pass along to my kids. I'm not sure that I am interested in ever going to the airlines but if I did and I'd logged my hours in the AF logbook would I have to copy the entries to another format? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Guest C-21 Pilot

Got a guy from the 76th here in Germany who was just picked up by Southwest Airlines.

Guess what, his logbook spanning 16 years of flying was on the Blue Logbook that you mentioned.

I'd bet that the hiring agency doesn't care about the look of your book, as log as there are current and an accurate reflection that mirrors your flight records product.

Guest JArcher00

The green Jep book gives you more options for logging various times and creating new columns. They also have a computer version called FliteLog which is in the same format and allows you to sort by different categories. It makes life easier when you need specific info such as "night, cross country, instrument time in lets say a specifice tail number" It will sort it all with a touch of a button with out having to count through your paper one. It is also a great back up if you ever lost you paper version.

• 1 year later...

First off, used the 'search' function to no avail.

Does anyone here know where one could pick up a nice military logbook? (the manual kind) I've tried searching the internet and can't seem to find any. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest C-21 Pilot

I've got the Vance BX special as Scooter mentioned...

Use it all the time, but back it up on a simple electronic version of a 781 I made out of MS Access.

Works for me. I've seen better products though.

Depending on what you want to do in life after the Air Force, you might just consider getting the Jeppesen Pro logbook.

I haven't been impressed with the layout of the 'big blue' logbook, and you're going to want to track some different categories of time if you're planning on flying with the FAA later.

Guest SpectrePilot

As long as you have a method to break out your actual "multi-engine PIC" time, that's the tricky one when you start trying to fill out Civ resumes based on AF records. Remember all your "other" time don't mean jack, either. The year-long transitional period between being a CP-FP-MP was the difficult era for me to break out realistic numbers and categorize them. Never could figure out a way to magically just break-out my no-shit "A-Code" time from AFORMS...

• 1 year later...
Guest Bayonet29

Just trying to see what you vet's out there might be using for logging your flight time(which program?) so that the civilian conversion won't be so time consuming when you get out. I am looking for something that can run on a PDA/smartphone so I can log it while on the road. Any suggestions on the best phone for this type of application (international travel and program access) would be appreciated also. I've been looking seriously at the Cingular 8525, but the 400.00 price tag keeps me searching. Is it worth it?

Just trying to see what you vet's out there might be using for logging your flight time(which program?) so that the civilian conversion won't be so time consuming when you get out. I am looking for something that can run on a PDA/smartphone so I can log it while on the road. Any suggestions on the best phone for this type of application (international travel and program access) would be appreciated also. I've been looking seriously at the Cingular 8525, but the 400.00 price tag keeps me searching. Is it worth it?

Look for a program written in J2ME, it's the mobile format that works on most of the PDA-type phones. That, and Cingular has the E62 now that would run something like that, (it currently runs Office documents like Excel), and an easy to use keyboard.

Just my .02

Oh, and look for a quad-band phone. That way, you could get a prepaid SIM and use it worldwide (including Iraq, Afghanistan, and all the other popular AF vacation spots nowadays).

Edited by SPiF

Hacker,

Is this an Excel file that you created?

I found it on the internet, actually, on some UK private pilot's website. I liked the way it looked and the tables/macros that were embedded, and modified it to meet my own needs. I added in stuff like NVG time, and turbine time, etc, that the original creator didn't have. Unfortunately the really great macros that the original maker had which calculated times and currencies were lost when I made my modifications and added numerous new aircraft types to the tables.

You can download a version of my modified logbook here:

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/resources/j...0061229169.html

I'd really love to create an Excel version of the Jeppeson Pro Logbook, but unfortuantely I don't have that kind of spare time currently...anyone want to volunteer? Scans of the two sides of the pages are below...

post-1764-1172331537_thumb.jpgpost-1764-1172331604_thumb.jpg

Guest Bayonet29

Thanks for the file.

I'm not quite the Excel programmer needed to build a quality spreadsheet like we need. Hopefully someone will step up and help all of us out soon.

I too use the Jepp Pro Logbook. I created an Excel sheet that mirrors the format of Jepp pro, just ironing out the sorting and filtering to be able to look at hours by aircraft type, N number, etc.

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

Guest CrewDawg1

With Logbook Pro can you keep two different books, one with your civilain time and 1 with your mil time? Also has anyone had problems transfering the program when you switch computers?

With Logbook Pro can you keep two different books, one with your civilain time and 1 with your mil time? Also has anyone had problems transfering the program when you switch computers?

From the Logbook Pro demo that I used a couple years ago, you can break out your time any way you please. It's a database, really, not just a straight logbook.

I've used logbook pro for a couple of years now. It's a brilliant program, very versatile and can break your flight time down a million different ways. It will even put together an 8710 form for you.

Transferring from computer to computer is easy. When I had to do it, I backed up the logbook on the original computer, transferred the backup file to the new computer, restored the backup and was GTG.

Go ahead and use one of the electronic ones, if it will help with computing/correlating times and doing conversions. But definitely DO NOT give up the paper logbook. And when you fill it out, throw in some comments about the flight. You'll be glad you did a few years later when you're cracking it open to look back for some reason. Great memories are had in those books. Especially when you read the comments about what happend or what you did on a cross country to Randolph on a Friday night... or the Houston Airshow.

The paper logbook (Version 1.0) won't "crash", either.

And I don't know this for a fact, but I think it looks pretty top-shelf to an interviewer when you hand him a career's-worth of flying in on of those logbooks.

I'm very glad I kept my flight info and times the "manual way".

Go ahead and use one of the electronic ones, if it will help with computing/correlating times and doing conversions. But definitely DO NOT give up the paper logbook. And when you fill it out, throw in some comments about the flight. You'll be glad you did a few years later when you're cracking it open to look back for some reason. Great memories are had in those books. Especially when you read the comments about what happend or what you did on a cross country to Randolph on a Friday night... or the Houston Airshow.

The paper logbook (Version 1.0) won't "crash", either.

And I don't know this for a fact, but I think it looks pretty top-shelf to an interviewer when you hand him a career's-worth of flying in on of those logbooks.

I'm very glad I kept my flight info and times the "manual way".

Not necessarily true. First off, the electronic logbook (at least how I do it the Excel spreadsheet way) allows me to write as many comments as I want to. Hell, I can write an entire 'there I was' story in that section if I want to. In that way, I think it is MUCH MORE useable than a paper logbook.

No, the paper log won't crash, but you also can't copy it or make a backup of it. I have my Excel logbook backed up in no less than three places, and I keep one of them on a thumb drive in my fire safe with scans of my other important documents on it.

With respect to the interviewers, I've read many, many reports of guys who interviewed with the printouts from Logbook Pro and there were never any issues. In fact, for a military guy it helped as it was easier to add conversion times if needed to the electronic version that doing the math line-by-line in the paper log.

I have used paper logbooks for the last 15 years that I've been a pilot, and only within the last two years have I really bought into the electronic logbook. It was a pain in the rectum to go add all that data in to the spreadsheet, but in the end the result has been more than worth it.

You can only begin logging time in military aircraft (other than solo time) after you complete UPT, correct?

Why wouldn't you be able to log your UPT time if you're an appropriately rated pilot (FAA)?

EDIT: BTW, I've been using Logbook Pro for years and it rocks!

Edited by aviator77