Falcon Foundation Scholarship

Guest Joshrk13

Guest Joshrk13

I didn't say I don't have confidence for getting into the Academy or getting through UPT. I was just getting flammed over it. I personally believe I will make it into the Academy and through UPT to that fighter jet seat. But until that day, I guess I will work hard and take in what I can from these guys that have thousands of hours and been through the experiences I want to endure.

Originally posted by Joshrk13:

but I love the military life, so the Academy is probably where I'm headed

Josh,

There is a huge difference between life at the Academy and life on Active Duty. All the bases I've been on don't have Terrazzo's to go wind sailing on. and I can't say that I've had to shovel a meal down in 6-9 minutes.

Hoser

Guest Joshrk13

Hoser I realize that. I wasn't referring to life on Active Duty. The view that I've perceived of the Academy I like. I attended CAP Encampment(Sorry for bring CAP again) this summer and loved every minute of it. There's somethings I would miss I will admit. Call me crazy, but I believe the Academy is the way to go. Who wouldn't love the chance to go train, learn, and compete at one of the most competitive schools in the U.S. Not to mention someone telling me what to do would kind of do me some good, so I can stay on track. If I went to a regular college I might find it hard to stay focused on my schooling.

Who wouldn't love the chance to go train, learn, and compete at one of the most competitive schools in the U.S.

Considering only about 1/10 of 1% of the nation's college-aged youth choose a military academy (federal or private) lifestyle, I would say, "A lot."

Not to mention someone telling me what to do would kind of do me some good, so I can stay on track. If I went to a regular college I might find it hard to stay focused on my schooling.

This will not bode well for your desire to be a fighter pilot. From UPT and thruout your AF career, IP's do not have unlimited time to spoon feed you everything you need to know before a particular flight, sim, etc. You will need to know what is expected of you before every flight. There are syllabi's, reg, study guides from the academic instructor's, and 6-9 other references. It's your responsibility that you have read the required material. The IP's are not mind readers either, so if you can't find something or don't understand something, ask. Don't expect that it will be covered by someone at a later time.

Hoser

Guest Joshrk13

I'm not saying I'm stupid and need people to tell me what to do. I have a 3.883 GPA, I think that's pretty damn good, considering I'm on an accelerated math course with two math classes. My study habits aren't the greatest. I don't really have to study since I learn something the first time it's said to me. Don't get me wrong I can study, but it has to be what I want to study about. Flying, hell yea, math, yea, stuff like English or Spanish, ehhh. I'm just curious how much study time do the pilots put in at UPT. This also doesn't mean my study habits can't and won't change.

T-44s down at Corpus Christi. I know you probably think we are inferior to the carnivorous T-38 track, but I'm loving it and have no regrets whatsoever about putting this as my first choice, and I can't wait to get into the tac airlift mission.

Guest Joshrk13

Hey, it's all personal preference. You are probably one of the few guys that I've met choose something other than the fighter track as their first choice, which is kind of cool. Goodluck with it!

I'm not saying I'm stupid and need people to tell me what to do.

Ahhh, yeah you are. You just posted it yourself not even 1/2 hour ago, and I quote:

Not to mention someone telling me what to do would kind of do me some good

I know you mean well and good on you for being educated on the process. Here's another lesson for you: Make sure you have a tough skin. You can't contradict yourself within .5 hours and not expect to get some sh!t for it.

If your dream is to go the zoo, then go for it and do your best to get there. That's all you can ask of yourself.

Feel free to keep the questions coming (STS). That's the only way you are going to learn.

Hoser

Worry about getting the best possible grades in high school, then worry about getting into college, then worry about getting a pilot slot, then worry about graduating pilot training, then worry about what you are going to fly...
I agree 100,000% My technique for getting through the zoo, 6.5 years on AD, and the 1st 5 months of UPT has been to do the next thing I have to do the best way I can do it...keep your head down and only glance up to see if you've broken out of the clouds yet...but this is technique only. Make sure you know why you want to go to USAFA...there are a lot of ROTC grads in fighters and a lot of usafa grads in missile silos. BTW, don't remember who said it, but I personally never took that IHTFP stuff very seriously.

You are probably one of the few guys that I've met choose something other than the fighter track as their first choice, which is kind of cool.

You're only showing your ignorance.

Stop typing and start reading.

Guest Joshrk13

Hey Hoser I gotta give ya that one. I did contradict myself, I'll admit. I must say I've learned a lot from this forum post. First, keep your mouth closed until you know what you're talking about. Second, have confidence and don't contradict yourself! Third, achieve the goals in an organized process if you will. Can't just say you are going to a be a future.... you actually gotta get out there and prove it. Lastly, take in everything you can and learn from the guys and gals that have been through it already. Thanks guys, I like to think of it as constructive critism I suppose. Vandal905 - Thanks for the PM, I will check ROTC out more than what I have been and talk to my counselor about it. I'm scheduled to take the PLAN test on the 15th so I will be speaking with him soon. And, if I have and questions I will be sure to drop ya a PM.

Don't rule out senior military colleges (privately-owned) either.... Norwich (my alma mater), Citadel, VMI, A&M Corps of Cadets, etc. Approximately the same suck if you are into that sort of thing (more or less), but you get to be in a class with a group of different commissioning sources, too. You can get ROTC to pay for your tuition at these places. Something to keep in mind....