Overlooked for the MoH and other Medal Shenanigans

Fud

Please read the following article, and any links necessary if you are interested. I find it interesting that CMSAF would answer questions based on an Reddit.com AMA, but I'm glad this might actually be looked at through the appropriate light.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2015/06/02/air-force-reviewing-if-airmen-overlooked-for-medal-of-honor/28371279/

I ran into this type of mindset throughout my time in the military and I was always dumbfounded when leadership would squash a medal nomination for one of my guys. The leadership's misguided logic was that if someone received an achievement medal, then it would look bad if they received another one or something less when they PCS'd from their current duty station. One of the linked articles talks about Senior Airman Dustin Temple's lack of a nomination by saying:

The Air Force would not say whether the board considered recommending Temple for the Medal of Honor.

Defense Department spokesman Navy Lt. Cmdr. Nate Christensen said the Office of the Secretary of Defense did not receive a recommendation from James regarding a possible Medal of Honor for Temple.

Recently, a classmate of mine also received an award for valor for saving a bunch of marines in Afghanistan...albeit eight years after the fact, and only when the marines nominated him for the award. A similar story occurred when Army officials "lost" Army Captain Will Swenson's paperwork for the MoH, but the Marines again answered the call.

I know that we aren't supposed to do what we do just for medals and other devices, but I think Air Force leadership does not have a proper grasp on this process.

Edited by Fud

Based on his Air Force Cross citiation and several things I've read and heard over the years, SrA Jason Cunningham should have been, in my opinion, one of the first (if not the first) OEF Medal of Honor recipients.

Despite effective enemy fire, and at great risk to his own life, Airman Cunningham remained in the burning fuselage of the aircraft in order to treat the wounded. As he moved his patients to a more secure location, mortar rounds began to impact within fifty feet of his position. Disregarding this extreme danger, he continued the movement and exposed himself to enemy fire on seven separate occasions. When the second casualty collection point was also compromised, in a display of uncommon valor and gallantry, Airman Cunningham braved an intense small arms and rocket-propelled grenade attack while repositioning the critically wounded to a third collection point. Even after he was mortally wounded and quickly deteriorating, he continued to direct patient movement and transferred care to another medic. In the end, his distinct efforts led to the successful delivery of ten gravely wounded Americans to life-saving medical treatment.

• Upvote 3