Buying a house

Guest baileyf16

USAA required the same thing. MPF had no idea what I was talking about (who knows if they should have), but USAA eventually signed it off for me because they knew I was military. Come to think of it, it was probably the easiest thing about dealing with USAA for my mortgage.

I have a quick question for anyone who has recently taken a VA loan. VA loans require a "Statement of Service" letter that needs to be signed by "the adjutant, personnel office, or commander of the unit or higher headquarters they are attached to". I'm just curious where people typically go for this letter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I was at the base finance office for PCS pay and just asked them for a MFR. They printed one and signed it in 6.9 seconds.

I have a quick question for anyone who has recently taken a VA loan. VA loans require a "Statement of Service" letter that needs to be signed by "the adjutant, personnel office, or commander of the unit or higher headquarters they are attached to". I'm just curious where people typically go for this letter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not sure if this would completely cover what you're looking for, as it's intended for SCRA requests, but this DoD database at least shows active duty start (and if applicable) end dates.

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/scra/scraHome.do

i currently have a VA loan and am looking to rent my house when I PCS (in about 5 months). i have been told (unofficially) that i have to actually live in whatever house i am using the va loan for, and thus i will need to refi to a conventional loan in order to rent it out/use another va loan for purchasing a new house at my new duty station.

just trying to confirm from anyone in a similar situation. not worried about it, but i want to get the ball rolling on the refi while i'm deployed if that's the case.

also, tried using search function but it spit out an error since "va" is less than three letters...

i have been told (unofficially) that i have to actually live in whatever house i am using the va loan for, and thus i will need to refi to a conventional loan in order to rent it out/use another va loan for purchasing a new house at my new duty station.

You're mixing two different issues here. You need to live in (intend to live in) the house you *get* the VA loan for. Once you have the loan, there's nothing to stop you from moving out (say, for a PCS) and renting the house out. However, in order to get a VA loan for another house, the existence of the previous one (and the fact that it's still active [not paid off]) comes into play. There are typically ways to work around it that involve paying a higher VA funding fee, etc. I'm *not* an expert, but I know one--PM me if you'd like contact info.