Army can't track spending on $4.3b system to track spending, IG finds (not duffel blog)

Vice

Not exactly. There are cyber positions that require expertise in coding/programming/geeky shit that are tracked and filled by people that have those requirements. These are mostly in the offensive and defensive network ops units. No offense to 17D guy, but base comm folks have no degree requirements because a history major can be chewed out for email not working just as well as a computer engineer. There is an office in AFSPC for both Cyber and Space that tracks the special skills, training and experience that is needed for key jobs. We have separate SURFs for all of this data. IMHO, these guys do a fantastic job tracking progress and ensuring you are getting to the training and development courses required as you progress.

As of a couple of years ago, you must have a STEM degree (or go to USAFA) to get a space ops assignment. I have a feeling cyber will follow soon, once they are done splitting the AFSC between ops and support.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I've looked at my Cyber SURF. No offense taken! However, the best Cyber person I've met was a geology major. I just met a kick ass cyber O5, his degree? Resort Management.

Cyber isn't some place just for the programmers or STEM folks. It's an attitude and disposition to learning that will show who a true nerd is. The kids who take things apart, spend hours researching small things about a system. The guys who argue about protocol implementations. Those are the qualities we need in the key mashers, and something the AF should be testing for, just like they do for pilot aptitude. It shouldn't be limited to a particular degree.

But then.. which AFSC? They're now doing 2 AFSC's - 17D and 17S. I guess I'm a support bro now, that's fine. I put metal in the air. But we have the exact same training program, and I can get assigned to the NOSC... same as the 17S bros. That CFETP thing I was talking about? Clearly slanted towards the 17S's, but I get lumped in as well.

Of course there's already douche 17DA's out there. That didn't take long.

No. I'm trying to convince folks that we should go train Scrummasters and take an Agile approach.

Additionally, we have a severe shortage of CISSPs...

Good news! The AF is now paying for E8/9's to get their certifications. Nothing for us operational leaders yet, m'fers.

I am currently a scrum master. :banghead:

So if I follow what your saying we took a field with probably as much of a niche technical requirement in expertise as say the medical group and then essentially stopped tracking who went there? So like if we just let any LtCOL run the base hospital instead of putting the people with the knowledge to actually run it there and keeping them there.

I'd have to look again, but I believe we've got a very large bathtub moving up after the RIFs.

Also, a ton of Cyber O6's just punched because they're tired of the nonsense. I'll get numbers so this isn't so vague tomorrow.

The enlisted project management career field was just.. dissolved. They now have any 3D AFSC move into it, because project management is just something you pick up as an additional duty according to big blue.

Boss is currently at a ACC Cyber CC's conference. Hope to get some good info, but we don't communicate in the career field about what's going on.

Edited by 17D_guy

Concerning Certs - I've gotten no official answer, but it's a security setting in the browser that the NOSC seems to require a certain way. Some say they're doing it to spoof the connection so you can't encrypt the communication. Possibly. Proxy might be negotiating the connection and then renegotiating with your broswer, classic man-in-the-middle which would throw that warning. I think that's stupid and way too much work for all the https that goes on. Simple explanation: they only load certs they trust (gov) and pulled trust for all commercial ones.

I'm not opposed to the idea of having certificates, or having the browser configured to look for them. I'm just saying, if your government sites (like PEX, for example) should probably have those certificates updated once in a while so that you aren't conditioning your users to constantly disregard the message that the certificates for a given website are not valid.

I've looked at my Cyber SURF. No offense taken! However, the best Cyber person I've met was a geology major. I just met a kick ass cyber O5, his degree? Resort Management.

Cyber isn't some place just for the programmers or STEM folks. It's an attitude and disposition to learning that will show who a true nerd is. The kids who take things apart, spend hours researching small things about a system. The guys who argue about protocol implementations. Those are the qualities we need in the key mashers, and something the AF should be testing for, just like they do for pilot aptitude. It shouldn't be limited to a particular degree.

I agree with this 100%. Most of the best space ops folks in the units I have been in did not have STEM degrees. In the ops world, whether it's terrestrial, space, or cyber, you control the quality of your operations force through the quality of your training and certification programs. If a history major can do the job well, awesome. If an aerospace engineer doesn't do well, send them somewhere else where they can succeed. It usually comes down to attitude and natural ability, not what you studied in school.

I'm relaying what I think will happen in the cyber ops world, not what I think should happen.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 1