Sweet pad...

Snooter

I love how they're even entertaining the idea of converting it to Afghan standards if they give it back. If we waste any more money on this we're less intelligent than we already think. Just walk away. Don't even waste the money to demolish it. Some might say it gives potential insurgents an operating base, but just point a couple of 105mm's at it without hiding that fact.

We need to get out of there already...

They had a big write up about it today in Stars and Stripes. I also read about a group that was calling for another agency to be formed to oversee the reconstruction of countries we "visit" to ensure that projects like this aren't repeated. Bureaucratic sprawl, it's like a disease that results in excel, powerpoint, and shattered dreams...

Reminds me of a certain C-130 ramp at OAKN. It was designed to have Herks parking nose to nose, and would force them to reverse taxi uphill at max gross weight every time they wanted taxi out. Even though everyone involved knew it was ridiculous, they still spent $100K painting the lines that because the contract was already signed. When the ramp opened, we ignored the taxi lines until funding for removing and reprinting the lines was received (several hundreds of thousands more.)

Reminds me of a certain C-130 ramp at OAKN. It was designed to have Herks parking nose to nose, and would force them to reverse taxi uphill at max gross weight every time they wanted taxi out. Even though everyone involved knew it was ridiculous, they still spent $100K painting the lines that because the contract was already signed. When the ramp opened, we ignored the taxi lines until funding for removing and reprinting the lines was received (several hundreds of thousands more.)

Or a few maintainers and cans of yellow spray paint...

Back to the original topic; FWA in Afghanistan, I don't believe it.

79 days left until freedom.

reminds me of that nice big DFAC that was built at Balad, before they realized it was too close to the fence and susceptible to IDF. I'm pretty sure it sat there empty till we left, too.