Generals perks exposed... Good read... Thought?

Stiffler

Who are pulled from their primary AFSCs, leaving whatever shop they just got pulled from short another airman.

The same could be said of the two MAF pilots I've seen in my Sq sent to USAFA to teach. We're undermanned pilots at my base (an MDS FTU), so sending people to special duties isn't exactly helping the manning problem. However the programs are out there for O/E's alike to volunteer for.

Why can't the four star hire his own lawn guys out of his own pocket if he wants his yard taken care of for him?

Say, that's crazy talk!

Setting aside the larger arguments of class warfare, The underlying issue that strikes me is simple: Younger, lower-ranking military folks don't make a lot of money. While nobody is going to begrudge and A1C or First Lieutenant their BAS or BAH, what occurs is as the individual is more self-sufficient, they still get the perks. Again, no worries at the Lt. Colonel or MSgt level, but when a GO is making a healthy six figure salary with their housing provided AND an entertainment budget, they should be paying for somebody to mow their damn lawns.

Say, that's crazy talk!

Setting aside the larger arguments of class warfare, The underlying issue that strikes me is simple: Younger, lower-ranking military folks don't make a lot of money. While nobody is going to begrudge and A1C or First Lieutenant their BAS or BAH, what occurs is as the individual is more self-sufficient, they still get the perks. Again, no worries at the Lt. Colonel or MSgt level, but when a GO is making a healthy six figure salary with their housing provided AND an entertainment budget, they should be paying for somebody to mow their damn lawns.

How about Colonels and Chiefs? Do they "make enough" to "afford" mowing their own damn lawns? You gonna draw the line on acceptability? What's the standard?

Envy...alive and well.

How about Colonels and Chiefs? Do they "make enough" to "afford" mowing their own damn lawns? You gonna draw the line on acceptability? What's the standard?

Envy...alive and well.

How about O-7 and above? Not the least bit envious - I get to do what I dreamed about as a kid. And I pay for my lawn care. I shouldn't have to pay for a General Officers also.

• Upvote 1

You all are missing the point. At the crust of the matter is the classic american dream argument. There's not a "proper" cut off rank where an individual should pay for his own lawn care, it comes down to this: You bust your ass in your early years (whether it be in the military or private sector) so that you can hopefully get to a high enough pay level where you can make the individual choice on whether to pay the yard boy to rake your lawn or keep doing it yourself on a Sunday morning. What pisses people off is that their hard work and tax money is going to pay for some other persons (who happens to have a more elite status) non-work neccessities. Take this into the broader concept and people are not all enviness (some are though) their just pissed off at the elite when they see billions of dollars going to bail outs, shaddy government contracts, and programs (f-35) who constantly fail to perform or look out for the little guy. All the while elites suffer no consequences and live like kings.

Why can't the four star hire his own lawn guys out of his own pocket if he wants his yard taken care of for him?

But then what would the SECDEF do about his leaves...

Gates may have been the civilian leader of the world’s largest military, but his position did not come with household staff. So, he often joked, he disposed of his leaves by blowing them onto the chairman’s lawn.
Edited by jcj