AFI 1-1 (AF Culture/Standards)

BattleRattle

I don't understand why so many people have a problem with following these regs. Why does anyone give a shit what we look like in our PT gear? Why does anyone give a shit about having to wear a reflective belt? Its stupid.

I understand it also doesn't make sense enforcing these kinds of things at an extreme level but rules are rules and this is the military.The only way to mitigate getting bitched at about them is just to follow them and carry on with your life.

The amount of bitching and whining I hear about reflective belts or PT gear or this and that is ridiculous.

If you are really worried about what you look like in your PT gear or feeling dumb about wearing a refletive belt, you're a ######.

If you aren't worried about that but just don't want to follow the rules, you're an idiot. Then, when you get bitched at, suck it up and don't cry like a baby about it.

Are you f-ing for real? What's next, helmets because that curb is so high and you might trip? It cracks me up to see these reflective belts on a base with a 25 mph speed limit. Are service members so stupid these days that they can not stay out of the way of a moving vehicle?

Dear God, our uniformed services and our Country are circling the drain!

Edit: grammar

Edited by Groundbounder

Are you f-ing for real? What's next, helmets because that curb is so high and you might trip? It cracks me up to see these reflective belts on a base with a 25 mph speed limit. Are service members so stupid these days that they can not stay out of the way of a moving vehicle?

Dear God, our uniformed services and our Country is circling the drain!

Reflective belts make you stupid. I've had more people wearing reflective belts think they are invulnerable step out in front of traffic than anything else. It's almost as bad as people who text and walk.

The metric ton of bullshit that is written into AFI's is exactly that, bullshit. Unfortunately the great leaders of the AF decided that this is the bullshit that needed to be put into writing to be enforced . Agree with it or not , it is what it is. This stuff comes from the top , higher than any E9 and put into motion by the leadership that demands it. If you have a problem with it kindly part ways or make enough rank that you can do something to change it. Now I think we all know if you are going to get into any place that can change it you are going to have to take a big old swill of the big blue grog bowl.

When I was in Japan we had Wing CC, Brig Gen (frocked), that held an all call. One of his things he spoke about was how he had, for the past few years walked around with his uniform ######ed up waiting for someone to correct him. Every time he was corrected on the self induced infraction, he would coin them. 90% of the corrections came from SrA or below. This guy was a Viper pilot, he encouraged it. He made it very clear that everyone, down to the lowest ranking airman was expected to uphold standards.

For those who think they are "above" the stupid rules, then it might hammer home the point of where this shit comes from.

I don't see how.

A FW/CC liked to play a little leadership by walking around uniform game with the Airmen. Big deal.

Did he behave like a douche in the squadron? Did he nit pick clean fingernails and nose hairs in the debrief and hand out coins to the pilots in the squadron bar if they mentioned a zipper placement? Was he out to lunch in the jet? Did he talk about the importance of sunglasses and sleeves or tactics and airmanship? Was he open to talking about why it was so important to worry about shoe shines and haircuts over aim points and shot discipline?

I see where you are coming from but you don't really offer enough perspective to make your example of a "Viper pilot" meaningful. Everyone knows there is/was an insane preoccupation with this shit starting with the former CSAF. That doesn't mean anyone thinks the outrageous behavior is right. In fact, it makes it more of a morale destroyer and all eyes are on the new guy.

Got chiefed the other day (well it was SMSgt'd, but who cares), walking through a parking lot to my car. The SMSgt was parking his motorcycle, he shut it off and called out "excuse me sir". I walked over to him, knew it was about me having my sleeves pushed up since it was 105 degrees outside. He got off his motorcycle, snapped to the position of attention and saluted, he then very courteously asked me to pull down my sleeves. I pulled them down, he thanked me and told me to have a good day and we parted ways. That is the way NCOs should act not yelling across a chow hall.

• Upvote 3