Oxygen masks

Charles22

Does an oxygen mask (like an MBU-5/P) provide any kind of protection from noise to the microphone? I fly a noisy biplane and I already have a military helmet. I was thinking that using an oxygen mask I could improve the quality of my radio transmissions. Of course the free end of the mask hose would not be connected to an oxygen system, but it would be secured at the back of the cockpit where the noise level is somewhat lower.

Another question: does the oxygen mask seal perfectly on the face of the pilot or in airplane with an oxygen system, some of the oxygen seeps out of the mask?

Thanks

Does an oxygen mask (like an MBU-5/P) provide any kind of protection from noise to the microphone? I fly a noisy biplane and I already have a military helmet. I was thinking that using an oxygen mask I could improve the quality of my radio transmissions. Of course the free end of the mask hose would not be connected to an oxygen system, but it would be secured at the back of the cockpit where the noise level is somewhat lower.

Another question: does the oxygen mask seal perfectly on the face of the pilot or in airplane with an oxygen system, some of the oxygen seeps out of the mask?

Thanks

Yes, having the microphone inside a mask that is sealed to your face will drown out the planes outside noise.

Also yes, the O2 masks seal to our faces and are tested before each flight to make sure there is no leaking and to make sure you have a good seal.

• Upvote 1

Yes, having the microphone inside a mask that is sealed to your face will drown out the planes outside noise.

Also yes, the O2 masks seal to our faces and are tested before each flight to make sure there is no leaking and to make sure you have a good seal.

And by tested, you mean "tested".

• Upvote 5

I was thinking that using an oxygen mask I could improve the quality of my radio transmissions.

Thanks

Ugh.

Thanks

Does the leather mic cover not work well enough? Most guys I see in open-cockpit airplanes do just fine with that. Although I wear the helmet and mask at work, I can't think of any situation on the GA side that would be bad enough to make want to roll up to an FBO with a mask on. I once saw a guy get out of a Globe Swift with an old school 'Nam style mask and helmet on and I almost shat myself.

Personal technique only, but if you are flying an antique and are going somewhere where you are required to talk to somebody, you're doing it wrong.

Edited by brewskis

Thanks

It won't form a perfect seal to your face unless it is fitted properly. If you have a freakishly shaped face (like me) it can take 6-9 trips to life support before they can get it set properly to the point where the bridge of your nose doesn't bleed after a 1.3

In the OP's case, if the only real purpose is to muffle the mike in an open cockpit (where oxygen deprivation and hypoxia is not likely to be much of an issue), it really won't matter much if its an imperfect seal.

I've seen brits wearing setups like that in warbirds- no hose, just a mask, looked like a crew chief doing an engine run.

You will wind up letting it hang from one side, and hold it over your face with one hand when speaking as the breathing restriction will seem silly after 5 minutes. Defeats the purpose of a boom mike or mask.

You could go old school and get a throat mike ala Black Sheep Sq. They don't look comfortable.

In my Pitts S1S I never needed more than a double layer of foam covers over the mike. The Oregon Aero leather cover w/ small foam holes was the bees knees when it came out. Open or closed 'pit, worked swell, 4 and 6 cylinder versions.

You can dial down the gain on some mikes, if not on the headset/helmet side, then on the radio side. I assume you have a noise cancelling mike- don't block the side you don't talk into, it throws off the feature.

Do you have 2 seats and an intercom or just a one seater? If you have an intercom, it should have plenty of squelch adjustment range for the noisest seat. Outside noise, not that of your shrieking pax...

Unless you lop off the end of the hose, sts, you are going to have restrictions to your breathing w/ that mask, I really don't see it as a good option.

Don't helicopter door gunners/FEs have some sort of mask they wear for this very reason? Makes them look pretty hardcore too.

29955_448663792518_51035217518_6078446_306865_n.jpg

And as a controller in a tower...yeah...having to listen to old dudes yell to be heard above outside airplane noise, and understand what the fuck you're saying, sucks bigtime.

And as a controller in a tower...yeah...having to listen to old dudes yell to be heard above outside airplane noise, and understand what the fuck you're saying, sucks bigtime.

Don't worry, it is way worse for them to have to listen to you.

Bernoulli, not Marconi, is what makes airplanes fly.

Don't worry, it is way worse for them to have to listen to you.

Got it, but you don't get to be #1 all the time. Pretty funny to see how it gets worked out at the nearby, busy non-controlled airport...not that well at times. At least in ways that are legal for me to do.

Don't helicopter door gunners/FEs have some sort of mask they wear for this very reason? Makes them look pretty hardcore too.

29955_448663792518_51035217518_6078446_306865_n.jpg

actually, the maxofacial shield was designed originally for the frontenters, to mitigate smaking your face on the cyclic in the event of a crash. Only a bene for the backenders as mentioned above, and it's also great to keep the dust out of your face when doing brownouts with doors off (all crew positions).

you've been hanging out with Ralph Royce too much

• Upvote 1

non-controlled airport...

"non-towered" airport, please.

They are 'controlled'... often better than a towered airport.

you've been hanging out with Ralph Royce too much

I thought the EXACT same thing!

("And don't do NUTHIN' dumb!")

Edited by Huggyu2

Rainmain would be #2, but would have the benefit of zero crosswinds. Winds don't dare get cross w/ C.N.

Few just plain stink at using radios, G.A. or military.

Simply telling them to fly without them and do the non-towered thing isn't fixing the typical problem- which is simply they are not far enough ahead of their crate to handle the marconis and fly. Can't handle a radio- probably don't have a visual scan worth a $hit, either.

Now, there are times and places for hand propping and a good scan- and I love 'em- Blakesburg, IA comes to mind, plus the local glider club. That's choosing to not use a radio. Almost a right/freedom/responsibility- and I enjoy it, too!

Teach them the timing, show them the S/A, they'll become a bit better all around, radio or not. Same as aerobatics- teach them to manage energy and all that, they'll be better all around later. Not because they can fly a loop, just because their S/A and skills were built up rather than accepted.

Huggy, Shack. That's the kit I mentioned.

Edit to add,

My first 800' show had Bill Dodds as the airboss on the east coast. He asked if I had anything special to unleash with my dime a dozen Pitts- I said no. He said he'd be watching for the landing as it was blowing crosswinds gusting 20 right along the trees. Pretty sure he was a Ralph Royce cohort.

Edited by moosepileit

Simply telling them to fly without them and do the non-towered thing isn't fixing the typical problem- which is simply they are not far enough ahead of their crate to handle the marconis and fly. Can't handle a radio- probably don't have a visual scan worth a $hit, either.

What? I don't think the issue of this thread is whether or not the OP can talk and fly at the same time.

Also, is this Ralph Royce y'all are talking the same one that used to manage the Lone Star Flight Museum?

Ralph is a great airboss....I love it when he makes someone sit in his penaly chair during the brief.

George Kline is a great boss as well.

Rob Reider is the best narrator in the biz, IMHO.

Cheers,

Cap-10