Who Should I Sue?

i.o.w.a

Let's say the owner did have a "no roommate" clause in the contract with the property manager. Would that make the contract between the tenants and the property owner null and void?

No.

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said, and for now I do believe the tenants are in the right (assuming the lease between them and the property manager does not forbid roommates). But, I will play devil's advocate. Let's say the owner did have a "no roommate" clause in the contract with the property manager. Would that make the contract between the tenants and the property owner null and void? And because of it being null and void, does that mean they are not legal tenants and therefore not subject to eviction rules? (as in, they could be kicked out immediately vs. 30 days)

If the property manager had the owner's authorization to rent on the owner's behalf (like a power of attorney) the owner is stuck with the contract the property manager enters her in to.

Keep in mind you may someday be in her position (hopefully not), but at any rate, try to avoid trashing the place. I recently rented a house to a tenant who decided she doesn't need to pay rent, and it's a pain in the ass to go through the eviction process.

You should do more than try to avoid trashing the place. Do not trash the place. Simple.

Landlord's benefit from renting their property. They also face risk, some of which is residual.

Folks considering taking on the role of landlord need to factor their risks and secure security deposits and accrue accordingly for capital repair and operating expenses from the ongoing rental income stream.

Most amature landlords fail to do this. Typically they look to cover their mortgage "plus a little profit" and then act shocked when they face difficulties and risks every landlord in the world faces.

In any case, she sounds like an Academy grad.

WTFO?

Having been on both sides of this equation, I can tell you it ain't easy being a landlord! I had to conduminiums that were rental properties for almost a decade. Even with a good property manager, it wasn't easy but in the end it was a good investment. I had a deliquent tenant that couldn't be evicted after failing to pay rent for several months because on the morning the local sheriff's department went by the property there was a light snowfall and state law prohibitted evictions while it was snowing. Not only did we not get the rent from him, there was damage to the condo that we had to fix out of pocket (his security deposit did not cover it).

We also rented while stationed overseas, and did our absolute best to return the property to the condition it was in when we moved in. Our last landlords in Belgium were amazed at how much effort we put into to cleaning and repairing the house before leaving, they said they expected some wear and tear but we felt it was our responsibility to bring it back up to standards.

Treat the property like it was your own. Wait, scratch that, treat it better than if it was yours!

• Upvote 1

So I can understand why it sucks to have shitty tenats, but we're not shitty tenats. Frankly I think we'd be ideal tenats. Known source of income, regularly drug tested, no kids sticking forks into sockets and the ability to get our SQ/CC involved if we turn out to be shitty.

Declare yourselves to be Homos. Then declare that you are a "family" and not "roommates".

The New Age "Dear John" Letter is born.

Dear John, since you've been away I've been thinking, we need to get married.

Love, Mark

Edited by iowa