CSAR in OEF

stract

If it wasn't already mentioned, Kadena helos, Alaska ANG PJs. Our AK guys have had a hell of a year. This is their second mission of this magnitude just from this rotation, and incidentally, two of the guys in the linked article were also on this one last summer up here:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/seasoned-alaska-pilot-recounts-knik-glacier-crash-landing

...along with many more non-headline making missions both deployed and at home.

They and the Kadena guys are all ######ing studs, and they're leaving some big new footprints to follow.

• 3 months later...

I helped host their event at Moody in 05 I think it was, and I'm on the e-mail list. Too bad I'll be in the midst of formal training when this year's event occurs with the Navy.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wish I could go to this event. Getting to hear the story of Streetcar 304 from those that were there is epic. The last time I got to sit in on this was BGen(ret) Dale Stovall talk about his pickup of Roger Locher just outside of a North Vietnamese Mig base, just outside of Hanoi. Fuck every stupid award ceremony, getting to hang with the old guys and swap war stories over a couple beers is everything shop talk in the bar should be.

At least you guys come with your own guns. I head to the stan at the end of the year. With my experience being in guns and ODIN/Liberty, MEDEVAC is a very different type of creature. We have the AMEDD community still trying to hang on to MEDEVAC but Aviation is continuing to take over the mission. Not being a med guy, it is hard for me to understand why we would ever tell everyone not only are we unarmed, that we have medicine onboard but we also give them a nice little cross hairs to shoot at. I feel somewhat confident in the statement that the people we are fighting in Afghanistan, didn't sign the Geneva Convention. That being said, AF CSAR is filling vital hole even if they are doing very few of the type of missions they train for.

Edited by OverTQ