Air Force Intel Officers here?

ForgotPassword

I have a general question, though. Does anyone know what/where the AF version of the Navy JP 2-0 CLICK ME is? I would like to read it before my interview to brush up on some AF lingo etc. Thanks.

Not trying to be condescending (I may be misreading your post), but that pub is a joint (not Navy) pub - the terms within it are common to all services.

Not trying to be condescending (I may be misreading your post), but that pub is a joint (not Navy) pub - the terms within it are common to all services.

I did realize that after I looked more closely at it, didn't originally. A Navy guy linked me to it and said AF had their own version. Perhaps this will suffice. Thanks.

There Air Force intel pubs are all the 14- series...follow HU&W's link under 'Departmental' and you'll get the list of the 69 (yep, there are actually 69 of them) USAF intel pubs available).

Joint intel pubs are all under the 2- series.

See any trends there?

There Air Force intel pubs are all the 14- series...follow HU&W's link under 'Departmental' and you'll get the list of the 69 (yep, there are actually 69 of them) USAF intel pubs available).

Joint intel pubs are all under the 2- series.

See any trends there?

Thanks for the links, fellas. I have been reading over the stuff from the AF e-pub site as well as the jp 2-0. If you all were in my position, interviewing for entry level, what topics/ideas would you focus on? I am thinking IPB, intel cycle,, CoGs, key aspects of AF mission as they relate to intel. Not sure what else, if anything. What are your thoughts? Thanks again.

Thanks for the links, fellas. I have been reading over the stuff from the AF e-pub site as well as the jp 2-0. If you all were in my position, interviewing for entry level, what topics/ideas would you focus on? I am thinking IPB, intel cycle,, CoGs, key aspects of AF mission as they relate to intel. Not sure what else, if anything. What are your thoughts? Thanks again.

Know the basic intelligence cycle, analysis, targeting, and intel support to air operations. Get some general knowledge on the intel disciplines (IMINT, SIGINT, etc) and the national and service platforms that perform collection missions. Familiarize yourself with the intelligence community (look here). Browse through the information AU bibliography on intel, check out some of the links. That should give you a good background.

However, the AU AWC Gateway on Intel is probably your best single source for intel information and links.

Know the basic intelligence cycle, analysis, targeting, and intel support to air operations. Get some general knowledge on the intel disciplines (IMINT, SIGINT, etc) and the national and service platforms that perform collection missions. Familiarize yourself with the intelligence community (look here). Browse through the information AU bibliography on intel, check out some of the links. That should give you a good background.

However, the AU AWC Gateway on Intel is probably your best single source for intel information and links.

Wow, thank you. That is great stuff.

I'd put lots of focus on the news, especially current events and the historical context that frames them. I'm sure you're already well versed, but if not then now's the time...

I'd put lots of focus on the news, especially current events and the historical context that frames them. I'm sure you're already well versed, but if not then now's the time...

From an intel perspective, it's not so much what is going on as it is why. A little predictive analysis is good to have, know potential adversarial courses of action and which is more likely to occur and why. Don't regurgitate what CNN and/or FOX is reporting, that's not intelligence.

Subscribe to the free intelligence report from STRATFOR's web site (upper righthand corner), they usually have an excellent perspective on what's going on in the world.

What do you all think are the top strategic challenges the US faces these days? Iraq/Afghan/Libya, oil and economic stability, mitigating islamic revolutions, piracy, 5gen fighter air superiority, air tanker?, Iran/NK/Venezuela....what do you guys think?

For the current US strategic intel priorities, try reading the DNI's Worldwide Threat Assessment for the HPSCI from last month. Also dig around the DNI web site, there's other reporting that will give you plenty to peruse.

From here out you're on your own, this is the last of the spoonfeeding. If you want to be an intel officer, you are going to have to learn to be a little more resourceful in finding the information you seek! :bash:

Guest airsomers

Hi Guys,

Not looking for handouts, just opinions here. Background - TSgt with 10 years service (all guard) as A-10 loadtoad and just got selected to go to AMS (probably Sep 2011). As my unit (111th FW) is transitioning to an AFFOR mission, I've been given the opportunity to become an intel officer.

Very interesting career field for me, but here's my current dilemna:

Have very strong full-time job at SAP and am concerned that all the time/training into Intel may be a little much for a guy with two boys under 2 and not looking to do this full time. 5 month tech school isn't a prob because I can bring the fam with, but I know Intel guys (do to low supply) get deployed a lot. Sure I don't mind deployments here and there, but I don't want to be in the Air Force deploying as if I were in the Army. Also my other main concern would be the amount of time needed to invest in this role during the week - although it's Guard, it's hard to imagine not keeping up with the Intel more than one weekend a month.

Apologies for the long post, part of me is venting, and part of me is asking for advice from "guys in the know". Obviously none of my civilian buds can assist me with this one and thus I welcome your feedback.

Guest YJ619

Hi Guys,

Not looking for handouts, just opinions here. Background - TSgt with 10 years service (all guard) as A-10 loadtoad and just got selected to go to AMS (probably Sep 2011). As my unit (111th FW) is transitioning to an AFFOR mission, I've been given the opportunity to become an intel officer.

Very interesting career field for me, but here's my current dilemna:

Have very strong full-time job at SAP and am concerned that all the time/training into Intel may be a little much for a guy with two boys under 2 and not looking to do this full time. 5 month tech school isn't a prob because I can bring the fam with, but I know Intel guys (do to low supply) get deployed a lot. Sure I don't mind deployments here and there, but I don't want to be in the Air Force deploying as if I were in the Army. Also my other main concern would be the amount of time needed to invest in this role during the week - although it's Guard, it's hard to imagine not keeping up with the Intel more than one weekend a month.

Apologies for the long post, part of me is venting, and part of me is asking for advice from "guys in the know". Obviously none of my civilian buds can assist me with this one and thus I welcome your feedback.

Tech school is 6.5 months, pretty intense right now, and about to get tougher after June. It will be extremely difficult for you if you are raising the 2 boys by yourself while in school. You'll be studying A LOT in a windowless building while you are in school.

Air Force intel officer deployments are not uncommon, but I don't think they are anywhere near the tempo of Army bubbas. But it is a career field that requires a lot of study, not only to get trained up but the constant need to keep well-informed on whatever areas you are focusing on. It's also got a lot to do with knowing where to find the information you need, how to analyze it, and how to extract what's important out of it; so it requires a good mixture of knowledge and common sense.

It's a good career field and one that surprisingly has many civilian applications. The security clearances you get can also garner higher salaries, be sure to keep your shit together and don't lose 'em for stupid stuff like financial irresponsibility. If you do decide to go that route, and have time for it down the road, I would recommend some of the advanced degrees offered by AMU. I just finished one in Strategic Intelligence a little over a year ago, sponsored by my company; and it has already paid dividends.

Good luck with the decision, I’ve spent a lot of time around the intel/ISR community so if you have any questions feel free to drop me a line. I can tell ya that San Angelo is going to be a bit boring, but given that you’ll be there for school that might be a good thing as it decreases the distractions!

Cheers! M2

Guest zookrider

For the interview prep bit- showing you know a thing or two about the job is great. Know some key names. Have a realistic dream job as a 14N in mind. Be able to demonstrate that you've got a strong academic record and that you're comfortable speaking under pressure. But to be 100% honest, 90% of the folks going through Goodbuddy have no idea about half the things you're looking to go into the interview knowing. I doubt they expect you to know them, and I doubt you'll be asked about them (current events are an exception). You might have to work to demonstrate that knowledge in the interview.

Deployments (active duty)- standard expectation is a 1:1 dwell. Standard deployment is 6 months. I'm currently on my 4th (a 365) with slightly less than 8 years in. YMMV. Guard/Reserve- I don't know any guard/reserve intel officers on deployments that they didn't ask for. A lot of units seem to be able to work around work/family issues and get trips that are only as long as the member is available. A lot depends on the unit. Ask! For what it's worth, I think that being a Guard 14N is a great deal because of the flexibility and training on offer.

San Angelo is indeed pretty boring, but there are some terrific restaurants, the people are great, and the cost of living is pretty low. It's really not a bad place at all.

• 6 months later...
Guest Machine

I decided to take the Intel spot. We're an augmentee unit for USAFE AFFOR so I'll fall in to the A-2 piece while also being responsible for the active duty pull. It was a tough decision that really weighed me down for months, but it's tough to pass on all of that great training. Will me the wife and kids down there, sell the house; pinch pennies in San Angelo and then upgrade upon our return. I've got 4 classes left for my basic MBA and so I'll try to delay my school until I complete that - then I'll definitely take your advice with degrees from AMU (hopefully a lot of what I have will transfer).

Major change for me, but I think I'll really enjoy it so HERE WE GO! Off to AMS 02-12. Thanks again for the advice!