Officer Separations

No this is not a VSP question. I have a couple questions after digging through AFI36-3207 on Officer Separations. My ADSC ends on 1 Sep and I'm looking to start a full-time MBA program when I separate. I found this section in the AFI about going to school.

2.4.8. Attending school. Officers applying for separations in order to enter a recognized institution of

higher education in a full-time resident course of instruction must show:

2.4.8.1. Acceptance without qualification starting with a specific school term. NOTE: The latest

starting date for the school must fall within the last 30 days of remaining active service.

2.4.8.2. Ability and willingness to pay entrance fees or proof of payment.

2.4.8.3. That the enrollment date is academically best suited for beginning or resuming education.

2.4.8.4. That an enrollment delayed until the established DOS would cause undue hardship.

2.4.8.5. The DOS must be set 30 calendar days or less before the established DOS or the ADSCD.

If I'm reading that correctly, if the school I get accepted to starts the fall semester on 25 Aug I could separate under this clause and start the semester even though my ADSC isn't complete until 1 Sep. Is that correct? Assuming I'd been enrolled and pay the tuition.

If not, my other question is how far out can you request a separation date into the future? Throughout the reg I keep seeing that you must apply with a DOS no earlier than 6 months in the future but nothing about a NLT date. My next PCS would line up with my ADSC completion so I plan to separate no matter what so I don't incur another ADSC. However if I can't start the fall semester I would like to keep working as long as possible obviously before going back to school. If I apply to separate in April the earliest DOS I could have would be Oct (6 months later) but could I put to separate 12 months later and stay in until the following April? We have a person here who's ADSC ended in Dec and is separating next week so he stayed on an additional 3 months without having to PCS. I'm sure there is some length of time where the AF would say I'm cheating the system to avoid a PCS(ie apply to separate in April 11 but ask for a DOS Jul 12).

I'm right on that cusp with my ADSC where I might just miss or just make the start of the fall semester so I'm trying to explore my options.

Mappleby, I did exactly the same thing you're planning on doing. I start B-school this fall.

My reading of the reg, and what I was told (absolutely neither of which should be taken as gospel) was that your date of separation could be NET 6 months, but NLT 12 months from when you hit the submit button under separations in vMPF. It's like a rolling 6 mo window.

My ADSC was up last fall, and I was debating staying in or getting out. I called up AFPC re: crosstraining to a different career field (13B -> 13L) but was told it wouldn't happen. I came back that my ADSC was coming up and that I had no intention of staying active duty if I was going to be a 13B for the rest of my career. They told me they couldn't manage the career field by what I (their words) "threatened I was going to do." So that was that. I talked to my commander and had the virtual paperwork submitted within a week.

What you're trying to do with your date of separation is a difficult one to manage. When I dropped those papers it was before the application season for b-school had even opened, so I didn't 100% know if I'd be getting in. I more or less picked a date out of a hat within that six month window, taking into account my back up plan of just getting a job. As it is my DOS is this spring, but I don't start school until the fall. Also, due to some stuff at work I'm not taking much terminal leave--I'm getting paid out for a pretty big chunk of untaken leave, which is not ideal. If I had to do it again I would have had my DOS be later and take more terminal leave.

Also, if you're using the post 9/11 GI Bill, there are some differences in the benefit if you end up starting school when you're on terminal leave vs already being separated. It didn't apply to me, so I didn't look into it too closely, but if it does for you it's worth checking into.

If you have any other questions about the process please let me know, I'm happy to help.

Square, thanks for the help. I'm getting a head start on this because I'm not entirely sure what path I'm going to take. My ADSC is actually through 1 Sep 2012 and I'm also on the Summer 2012 assignment cycle. The nice thing is I'll be applying to B-school in the fall and should here if I've been accepted before I come up for an assignment. According to AFPC they would match me with a job in Jan-Mar time window. So if I get accepted to a school that starts after 1 Sep I could apply for separation normally and go. However if I get accepted to a school that I couldn't make the start date I would have a debate.

I could defer enrollment a year, wait until the last possible moment and use the 7-day option when AFPC gives me a new assignment. If I set my DOS 12 months in the future then I would be getting out between Jan-Mar and have to kill time until August with no job. Or I could set my DOS for 1 Sep and try to attend the earlier semester start date while on terminal leave. I'm not sure how feasible that would be if I'm stationed in Colorado and going to B-school in PA or MA or really anywhere not close to Colorado.

• 1 month later...

Took my separation survey today, they asked a lot of pretty good questions compared to some other AF surveys (climate assessment), but me and some of my bro's who are separating ended with this: "www.baseops.net check the forums." Maybe big blue will be watching and learning.

• 5 months later...

Well that depends on your "Separation" code. Mine was FCN because I volunteered to get out under the force shaping board, they would move me either to my home of record or place of entry to active duty. They will move you that far, or anyplace in-between, as long as it's not further that one of those two. Now, that being said, because I "force shaped" I was told they would move me anywhere in the world, didn't press the test on that one, I moved a short 14 hour drive away, only halfway to my home of record. If you were RIF'd (I think I remember reading that) I would think your benefits will be the same or better than mine, oh by the way, you get your special "check" a day or two after your official separation date, without taxes taken out.

Normally, you pay for anything further than your home of record, but I believe that involuntary separation entitles you to a move to your home of choice. The move is good for up to a year after your separation is complete. As Matmac stated, it all depends on the code on your orders.

See JFTR Chapter 5, Part D, Sections 6 or 7, depending on what circumstances you're separating under. There's a link from DTS to the travel reg's so you can download the JFTR Chapters 1-10.

If you're being RIF'ed, and you had 8 years of continuous service, you qualify for HOS (Home of Selection). HOS can be any place in the US (note, not just CONUS), OR if you entered the military from outside the US, your HOR or PLEAD (PLace Entered AD). OR you can have it shipped anywhere, not to exceed a move to a CONUS location of your choice. Source JFTR Chapter 5, Part B, Section 8, aka U5130-A.

Anyone know if your HOR move can be done as a DITY move and you could maybe still make a little cheddar off it? Sorry; Personally procured move

Anyone know if your HOR move can be done as a DITY move and you could maybe still make a little cheddar off it? Sorry; Personally procured move

It was run just like another PCS move. I did a partial DITY. The only difference was that rather than turning in the paperwork to the local TMO/finance you have to mail it off to McGuire.

• 1 month later...

Reviving my own topic here. How hard is it to move a DOS? Reading the reg talks about using an Air Force form to push your DOS out by up to 90 days. What if you want to pull it in instead? Can you set a DOS for 12 months from now and then decide later to get out earlier, say 7 month point? Assuming you are still beyond any ADSC.