cool plane models for my boy

Guest Ogre

All right gents.

I've got a three year old boy and his momma wants to hang (hanging model style)a cool airplane in his room. She wants it to be a cool biplane or otherwise early days of aviation rendition. She's pretty savvy in shopping matters but has met with no luck. I told her a SPAD XIII or a P-51 would pretty much be the true ticket of coolness and she agrees. However, we have not been able to find what we're looking for.

Now, let me make myself clear. I don't want no half ass lookin' POS hangin from my boy's ceiling. I want a metal airplane model, true to specs (within reason) doing its thing in la la land. In other words, I want that s..t to look cool. I don't know what the f*** 1/48 means in size, but I can tell you I want a wing span of approximately 12 to 14 inches.

So, if any of you boys have any ideas where I could acquire such an item I would greatly appreciate it. We would like to keep the price range under $100 if we can, but let me know.

And, if you've got any ideas of follow on cool aircraft, I'm wide open and will keep you appraised.

Thanks Brothers!

The Ogre

Welcome. Here's an option. I've done the diecast thing with my kids room and I like the wood planes with the epoxy paint much better.

P-51

Use 5lb fishing line and tiny pushpins to mount it at a decent attitude.

Edited by HU&W

All right gents.

I've got a three year old boy and his momma wants to hang (hanging model style)a cool airplane in his room. She wants it to be a cool biplane or otherwise early days of aviation rendition. She's pretty savvy in shopping matters but has met with no luck. I told her a SPAD XIII or a P-51 would pretty much be the true ticket of coolness and she agrees. However, we have not been able to find what we're looking for.

Now, let me make myself clear. I don't want no half ass lookin' POS hangin from my boy's ceiling. I want a metal airplane model, true to specs (within reason) doing its thing in la la land. In other words, I want that s..t to look cool. I don't know what the f*** 1/48 means in size, but I can tell you I want a wing span of approximately 12 to 14 inches.

So, if any of you boys have any ideas where I could acquire such an item I would greatly appreciate it. We would like to keep the price range under $100 if we can, but let me know.

And, if you've got any ideas of follow on cool aircraft, I'm wide open and will keep you appraised.

Thanks Brothers!

The Ogre

The 1/48 (or 1/72, 1/144, etc) is the scale, where 1 unit on the model equals 48 units on the real airplane. The P-51 has a 37' wingspan. In a 1/48 scale model this translates to a 9.25" wingspan model. For your stated desire of 12" you would need to find 1/37 or larger scale model. The next most common scale in the size you are looking for would be 1/36, which will give you a wingspan of just over 12". I do not know any quality models off hand, and anything I could link you to would come from the same google search you can do yourself. Search for the model you want (i.e. P-51) and the scale. Scale is either expressed with a / or a :. 1/36 and 1:36 mean the same thing, and is just a nomenclature difference between model companies, and I would recommend googling both terms to give yourself the best chance at success.

Welcome. Here's an option. I've done the diecast thing with my kids room and I like the wood planes with the epoxy paint much better.

P-51

Use 5lb fishing line and tiny pushpins to mount it at a decent attitude.

HU&W,

Thanks Brother!

Why do you think wood is better?

The 1/48 (or 1/72, 1/144, etc) is the scale, where 1 unit on the model equals 48 units on the real airplane. The P-51 has a 37' wingspan. In a 1/48 scale model this translates to a 9.25" wingspan model. For your stated desire of 12" you would need to find 1/37 or larger scale model. The next most common scale in the size you are looking for would be 1/36, which will give you a wingspan of just over 12". I do not know any quality models off hand, and anything I could link you to would come from the same google search you can do yourself. Search for the model you want (i.e. P-51) and the scale. Scale is either expressed with a / or a :. 1/36 and 1:36 mean the same thing, and is just a nomenclature difference between model companies, and I would recommend googling both terms to give yourself the best chance at success.

Napoleon,

Thanks brother!

I knew it wouldn't be long before sombody would educate me on the lingo. A gift that keeps on givin'

The Ogre

1/48th Scale is where detail really starts to come out in these toys and plastic models. Anything smaller like 1/72nd or 1/144th and your getting into something you'd use to make one of those wall length model diplays in a museum.

1/32nd and larger scales are considered to be the extremely detailed stuff that goes so far as making the piping and wires under panels closer to accurate. Only issue you run into here is there arent nearly as wide a variety of them as 48th and 72nd and they weigh a lot more. Might be an issue if your looking at hanging a diecast model from a ceiling.

Personally Id recommend you try something closer to 1/32nd or 1/48th as its more than big enough to not look like a crappy childs toy. Things like individual types of weapons so you can see details between AIM-9, Harpoon, AIM-120 and not just a bunch of the same generic looking bomb/missiles hanging on various stations. At the same time its something small enough to not weigh a ton and even sit on a window ledge or bookshelf as the collection expands without needing its own TV stand sized display area.

Try these guys out http://www.militarytoyshop.com/about.asp

If your at Wright Patt you can actually visit the store and its packed full of all sorts of great options to turn the ceiling into the Battle of Britain or anything else.

Edited by Lawman

Guest Flyinrock

All right gents.

So, if any of you boys have any ideas where I could acquire such an item I would greatly appreciate it. We would like to keep the price range under $100 if we can, but let me know.)

Thanks Brothers!

The Ogre

I have a 4+yr old and he has already put his dibs on my Tri-plane with a family name on the wings... KEMPF, in both a medium scale and mini scale. Also coveted are the museum quality crop duster planes in low wing (turbine AirTractor) and biplane (AGCat). I got them all with a google search and was looking at both the price and quality. The most pricey was $75 delivered and I am delighted with it. Also have die cast that are quite good and they also come from a google or eBay search. I just wanted aircraft that I had flown. You generally get what you pay for but there are exceptions for sure.

Semper Fi

Rocky

p.s. I didn't fly the Tri-plane. Fritz Kempf did but its in the family....

Edited by Flyinrock

Word of caution from a father who has been there and done that, I hanged some planes in my sons room and they did not make it through one deployment while was gone. Kids being curious will want to touch and play with said planes. I suggest if you can find them maybe an indestructable star wars toys hanging up there, they are built to be handled by 3 year old boys. My suggestion is to get some fishing line and picture hooks and tie the fishing line to the landing gear and hang them nose high at 12 oclock with landing gear resting on the wall along the top of the wall like a border. It comes out good and should last until they are 6 when they figure out they can throw stuff and shoot down acft and make them go boom. Oops it is easier with tail draggers to put the tail at 12 oclock along the wall.

Edited by Prosuper

1/48th Scale is where detail really starts to come out in these toys and plastic models. Anything smaller like 1/72nd or 1/144th and your getting into something you'd use to make one of those wall length model diplays in a museum.

1/32nd and larger scales are considered to be the extremely detailed stuff that goes so far as making the piping and wires under panels closer to accurate. Only issue you run into here is there arent nearly as wide a variety of them as 48th and 72nd and they weigh a lot more. Might be an issue if your looking at hanging a diecast model from a ceiling.

Personally Id recommend you try something closer to 1/32nd or 1/48th as its more than big enough to not look like a crappy childs toy. Things like individual types of weapons so you can see details between AIM-9, Harpoon, AIM-120 and not just a bunch of the same generic looking bomb/missiles hanging on various stations. At the same time its something small enough to not weigh a ton and even sit on a window ledge or bookshelf as the collection expands without needing its own TV stand sized display area.

Try these guys out http://www.militarytoyshop.com/about.asp

If your at Wright Patt you can actually visit the store and its packed full of all sorts of great options to turn the ceiling into the Battle of Britain or anything else.

Got it! Thanks buddy.

P-51 diecast model about 8x9 inches. Looks cool as hell. Your site led me to the flyingmule.com. Now I've got to decide what's next.