PCS and Plasmas

LT4Life

I am in the market for a new TV now and was talking to a buddy about the LCD vs Plasma delicacy thing. I am curious if anybody has had any problems with their Plasma breaking during a PCS move. I understand they are more fragile but in my moves I never had a problem with mine breaking (to include an overseas move). It's possible I had the one decently made TV so I am seeing if anybody else has had problems with them not working post move. Thanks.

I'm in the middle of an overseas PCS right now and I shipped a 60" plasma. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it fared. I didn't keep the original packing, but the movers made a custom crate for it.

There's some bad gouge out there that you can't get full replacement value for a plasma, but that's not true. Not sure if it was ever true. You get FRV for everything, regardless if it was shipped in the original packaging. One key though is to make sure the packers verify it works when packing and annotate that on the forms. Otherwise they might try claiming that it never worked to begin with you try to claim damages.

I just did a DITY, and hadn't kept my original packaging. You can buy big screen (BS!!!) containers and custom-sizing styrophone inserts from your local shipping stores, mine total cost around $40, but the TV came thru flawless in the DITY.

I'm in the middle of an overseas PCS right now and I shipped a 60" plasma. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it fared. I didn't keep the original packing, but the movers made a custom crate for it.

There's some bad gouge out there that you can't get full replacement value for a plasma, but that's not true. Not sure if it was ever true. You get FRV for everything, regardless if it was shipped in the original packaging. One key though is to make sure the packers verify it works when packing and annotate that on the forms. Otherwise they might try claiming that it never worked to begin with you try to claim damages.

There are limits on the max reimbursable value of some items if you end up going through the USAF for reimbursement. So, yes, it was true that there were limits once upon a time when you had to file a claim with the gov't and is still true if you wind up filing a claim with the gov't for one reason or another.

FYI, the Air Force has to specially package any TV bigger than 52" in a crate, but I would recommend at least a 55".

Do you have the reference for that?

1) Yea, when I PCSd from Mildenhall a little over a year ago, my 42" plasma was just fine. Heard a lot of scary stuff about the AF not paying for it but I'm not sure how much of that is true. I think over a certain size and you need some special packaging for it...I dunno, I didn't really pay attention since I think they said 60" and above.

2) Get yourself a Samsung LED-LCD 46" 1080p 120Hz TV and never look back. If you can afford the same TV in 240Hz, do that....the picture quality is amazing.

Moved a 57 inch plasma a couple years ago. Nothing major wrong with it other than some odd behavior now and again, auto shut off every once and a while, main menu displays in an odd way. It clears up with removing power to it.

The movers broke my my friend's 46" plasma this past summer and I think he mentioned a limit on reimbursement for plasma TV's.

PS- You need this. I bought it as a promotion present to myself, and it is incredible.

Have that TV mounted on the wall in my Man Cave. Internet Ready and a superb picture.

Nope, but two separate movers have told me. Also had a friend have his 55" put in a crate when he moved, and looks like schokie had the same deal.

I haven't seen it in writing either, but I was told the same thing from TMO doing my outprocessing briefing at Randolph. The lady said it was actually a good thing, since it meant the movers couldn't just throw it on the truck without special handling.

Any idea what the cap on TV replacement value is? My TV wasn't cheap and the UK doesn't have a lot of Best Buys that take real American money. AAFES sucks. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

Guest Crew Report
Do you have the reference for that?

That's what the movers told me when I PCS'd this summer. It was for plasmas and over a certain size they needed to use special packing. I moved a 61" DLP this summer and they packed it normally with no issues.