Separating...

Guest SPO

I searched but couldn't find any good info.

Question for the masses...

I've been in for 4 years, met my service obligation, and am planning to get out. I was going to separate under the "Completed ADSC" option but just recieved an assignment RIP and now have the option of separating under the 7-Day Option (AKA "Decline PCS or Assignment"). MPF says there is no difference when choosing which provision to separate under. However, I'm not so eaily convinced. Does anyone have any gouge on which option to chose? Does it matter for your DD214?

I'm suffering at the 'Deid so any help would be much appreciated!

I can't comment on whether there's any real difference between the two once you're out--but there are likely differences on when/what timeline you actually separate. IIRC, the 7-day opt requires you to separate w/in 6 months or upon completion of your ADSC, whichever is later; and, most voluntary separation actions require 6 months notice. Depending on when your ADSC was up and when you planned to get out, these overlapping rules could affect your choices (so make sure you understand how each will work in regards to what you want to do).

Good luck!

Take a gander at air force e-pubs...

I believe there is an AFI on this issue search "officer seperations". Keep a an eye on the required timelines, they can be pretty picky from what I hear.

I'd send a link but the internet isn't working with me

Thanks for the responses.

I've done my due diligence and read AFI 36-2110 "Office Assignments and Separations" but it does little to clarify the underlying question I'm trying to answer: which provision is better to separate under? Para 2.30 discusses separations and the different timelines associated with each provision. However, the two I'm eligible for both meet the timeline I'm shooting for (~6 months) so I could go either way (sts). I'm more interested in what goes down in the AFPC computer system in case I want to get back in. I think it's easier to recall to active duty under "separating b/c ADSC was met" than "separating b/c decline PCS or assignment". The Total Force Support Center was zero help as usual (told me to read the AFI...thanks) and my base MPF and deployed PERSCO are clueless as well. Oh Air Force ineptness, how I'm going to miss you...

Oh Air Force ineptness, how I'm going to miss you...

I understand your suspicion of the personnel system, but in this case I really think that it just doesn't matter which option you choose. Neither will affect you getting another job, change your benefits, impact guard/reserve hiring, or affect any chances at recall to active duty.

Guest Cubdriver

Here's a related question for the masses.

I'm an O-4 with 12 years in. I took the bonus and that runs out early in 2013. I am also an IDE select. I have pushed off IDE as long as possible but my board just met for my 3rd look and I know I will come out on the list with an IDE slot to PCS in 2011.

But I'm burned out and not sure I'm interested in what comes next. So I'm thinking about turning down the IDE slot when it comes... but I'd still have to stay in until the ADSC for the bonus runs out in 2.5 years. I am glad to do that if I can fly and do normal O-4 type duties.

Anybody got any idea what would happen if I did turn down the IDE slot, or anybody got any experience with this or tips on how to handle it?

Here's a related question for the masses.

I'm an O-4 with 12 years in. I took the bonus and that runs out early in 2013. I am also an IDE select. I have pushed off IDE as long as possible but my board just met for my 3rd look and I know I will come out on the list with an IDE slot to PCS in 2011.

But I'm burned out and not sure I'm interested in what comes next. So I'm thinking about turning down the IDE slot when it comes... but I'd still have to stay in until the ADSC for the bonus runs out in 2.5 years. I am glad to do that if I can fly and do normal O-4 type duties.

Anybody got any idea what would happen if I did turn down the IDE slot, or anybody got any experience with this or tips on how to handle it?

Given the current environment several folks will want to "talk to you", but I don't think they will ground you like they did in years past. As a select you've made the top 25% cut and people have likely been looking out for you. Once you decline, expect the support to evaporate. The danger as I do the rough math from the situation you described, they may PCS you to a crap job to finish your time. Obviously you will be on the list in to PCS in the fall of 2011, but you will have to decline in the spring, leaving you with almost two years of ADSC.

How is your relationship with your CC?

"2" to the above.

You made the cut for IDE in residence. You, apparently, want to stay in up to 20. By showing your cards, you lose the support of those who did so and will become the fodder for whatever POS assignment/TDY/deployment/bad deal that Randolph and/or your unit(s) will come up with.

If you are going for the full ride to retirement, think long and hard about this decision. My advice is that you will make your remaining time harder on yourself for no real reason. Besides, do the numbers for an O-4 vs. O-5 retirement.

Yes, and you will probably not make O-5 if you turn the slot down... They remember that kind of thing... mostly because they put the fact that you did it on your record. Make sure you want to separate after doing this, because that bridge is almost impossible to rebuild after you burn it.

Edited by Butters

It depends. If you turn down IDE, then you've essentially shown your hand since very few people turn down IDE in res. Basically you'll just be in the assignment pool with everyone else. I wouldn't expect them to reward you with a good deal or choice assignment after that instead of taking care of the dudes who plan on staying in. I'm not saying anyone will be out to punish you, but you have to look at it from the bigger picture perspective of the dudes making those decisions. There are so many bad deals out there, they might not want to burn one of the few good deals on you. They are going to save them for the guys whose careers they still need to worry about, since there already more good dudes than there are good deals. Showing your hand that far out from your ability to separate puts you in a bad spot.

As for being burned out, a year working half days with no deployments at Maxwell may be just the thing you need to recharge. Most dudes are burned out when they show up there. Few dudes I've talked to are still burned out after that year. Maybe a change of pace/scenery/lifestyle would help. Just a thought.

By my math, you can't even separate until about your 15 year point. Are you sure you don't want to suck up 5 more years to get paid to breathe for the rest of your life? I think if you got out 75% of the way to retirement and didn't pick up an AGR guard/reserve job (which is tough to find, especially for a 15 yr guy), you will look back on that as the single worst financial decision of your life, though I agree money isn't the only (or even the primary) consideration to stay/go. But in this case, you'd be turning down benefits worth a TON. Pension and healthcare benefits for life in exchange for only 5 more years of work. Think about it.

I turned it down and kept flying. Didn't effect me in the least. I also had fantastic bosses all the way up the chain and I talked to every single one of them about my decision and my personal goals. I still got 110% support from everyone in my chain and it ultimately ended up being the best timing move I ever made.

I was lucky. I knew it then and know it now.

You can ask a question around here but the best advice I can give you is to talk candidly to your bosses.