Best base assignments?

spudsmac

The best base is Charleston. Next question.

If you think Charleston is so awesome see

It is all about what you want. I personally thought Mountain Home is the best gig in the Air Force, but I just loved the fact that I could hunt on 70% of the land in the state even though I lived in an apartment in town...but that is just me. Not to mention the possibilities for weekend ski trips was awesome..Sun Valley, Jackson Hole, Northern and Central Idaho, and Salt Lake all within roadtrip distance for a weekend.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Cannon may suck, but Santa Fe and ABQ are a good time and Lubbock isn't far away either. Not to mention, the AFSOC mission is legit and you'll be directly contributing to the fight. If you want to live on a beach, go work for IBM. Not saying you should be a martyr and volunteer for Cannon, but it's amazing how many people act like its their right to live in a good location, spouses especially. There are positive aspects of every location, but some people will find something to complain about anywhere they go.

Dude, I appreciate what you're trying to say, I really do. And there were people who said the same thing when we first moved out; they don't say it anymore. Jimmy pretty much hit all the "high" points.

Spend a year out here and I promise you'll change the "some people will fill something to complain about anywhere" tone.

Dude, I appreciate what you're trying to say, I really do. And there were people who said the same thing when we first moved out; they don't say it anymore. Jimmy pretty much hit all the "high" points.

Spend a year out here and I promise you'll change the "some people will fill something to complain about anywhere" tone.

Ya, I'm sure it sucks at Cannon and I feel for you guys and especially your families who are stuck there year-round. With that said, I'd love the chance to see for myself. The 318th and NSAv sounds like fun. Charleston rocks btw-but upstate SC is better. Nicer lakes, closer to the twisties, and superior schools!

• 2 months later...

OK, I'll bite on this thread. Maybe not the best, but Beale doesn't suck.

Nevermind the great airspace for the actual military flying...

Great weather for general aviation piloting. 6 GA airports within an hour.

You want warbirds? World class soaring? Look no further.

Tahoe ski basin 1+30 - 2+00 away, including Squaw Valley (free for military)

Lake Tahoe for the summer. Sierra Nevadas 1 hour.

World class mountain biking.

San Fran 2 hours away,... too much to list

Wanna get away? SFO has direct flights to nearly anywhere in the world.

Reno 2 hours away. Air races coming up in 2 months. Who's going?

Napa and Sonoma Valley under 2 hours.

Sacramento 1 hour... State capital, college town, good times.

Sac Airport to LAX in about an hour, and $150 one way,... cheaper if you plan ahead. I've done San Dawg for ~$50 on SWA.

Guest RAT 1

For CONUS bases, especially your first two tours, I wouldn't do large, spread out bases like Nellis or Eglin as a Force Support Officer. Find a smaller populated base with as close to a singularly defined mission/Air Base Wing as possible. Hurlburt's not bad, it has access to great beaches and weather but the girl situation isn't that great, at least with the locals. Spring Break and Summer visitors are another story, if you know where to look and you don't mind bachelorette parties. And the housing market is probably adjusted back to a reasonable level now.

Randolph is another good one for your AFSC despite the fact it has infinite HQs and missions. As an FSO, your AF-level HQs for Services and Personnel are both primarily located at Randolph. Networking with the folks in AFPC (Personnel) and/or AFSVA (Services) will go a long way the next 5-10 yrs of your career, even if you decide to cross-train. Also, the housing market is more stable in San Antonio compared to places like Cali, Vegas and Florida.

OK, I'll bite on this thread. Maybe not the best, but Beale doesn't suck.

Nevermind the great airspace for the actual military flying...

Great weather for general aviation piloting. 6 GA airports within an hour.

You want warbirds? World class soaring? Look no further.

Tahoe ski basin 1+30 - 2+00 away, including Squaw Valley (free for military)

Lake Tahoe for the summer. Sierra Nevadas 1 hour.

World class mountain biking.

San Fran 2 hours away,... too much to list

Wanna get away? SFO has direct flights to nearly anywhere in the world.

Reno 2 hours away. Air races coming up in 2 months. Who's going?

Napa and Sonoma Valley under 2 hours.

Sacramento 1 hour... State capital, college town, good times.

Sac Airport to LAX in about an hour, and $150 one way,... cheaper if you plan ahead. I've done San Dawg for ~$50 on SWA.

Sorry, but Huggy nailed it. I don't care what your job is. World class everything within 1-3 hours. If you haven't been here, don't talk shit. I live in the Sierras. 35 Min from Beale. 1 Hour from Tahoe. 2 Hours from Napa. 4 Hours from Yosemite. Great Flying everywhere. But, the cake-topper? The Sierra Nevada Brewery is 1.5 hours north of Beale. Best Beer west of MKE/WI.