iPhone apps

Techsan

Since iPhones are just about standard issue these days, I was wondering which are your favorite apps? I'll give you a few of mine:

Games:

Flight Control

Tiger Woods

Bug Squash (my kiddos like this one)

Harbor Master

Blackjack

Monopoly

Moron Test

Flying Stuff:

AeroWeather

www.aviation.mobi/ (not an app, but a great mobile website for NOTAMS, Approach plates, etc)

xWind

PerDiemCalc

Sports:

ESPN ScoreCenter

FOX Sports

Ski Report

Run Keeper (MUCH better than using Nike+)

Misc:

Directv

Pandora

USAA

Shazam

Phanfare

Whitenoise

iSwap Faces

Wikipedia

Southwest Airlines

Games:

Jelly Car (not the crappy second one)

AC-130 Spectre

33rd Division

X-plane Racing / X-helicopter

Cube Runner

Tap Tap Revenge 2 (use it to get random music mainly)

RC helicopter

Paper Toss

Parking Lot

Air Hockey

Amateur Surgeon

Flight Control

Coast Defense

Gun App

Flying Stuff:

AeroWeather

Sports:

FlyCast (still can't quite get it to work though)

Misc:

Convert - The Unit Converter

Currency Coverter

Flashlight

BumpIt

German Tutor

Wi-Fi Finder

Around Me

Shazam

Facebook

Mixologist

Guest merlock

Games

Wordsearch

Mahjongg Artifacts2

Railroad Madness

Flight Control

Harbor Master

Toobz

AC-130

Pocket God

Sports

Sportacular (beats ESPN app hands down, check out free version-only diff is paid has no ads)

Misc

Pandora

Last.fm

Google Earth

WolframAlpha

Now, if you haven't done it, jailbreak you iWhatever. Contrary to what Apple would have you believe, it is not illegal, and not everyone is looking for a hacked version of Call of Duty. Here is a screenshot of my lockscreen, and home screen:

Lock

lock1.jpg

Homescreen

home.jpg

The ability to have everything in folders on one page is great. 5 icons in the bottom dock. Personalized status bar. Ability to search different sources (Amazon, Last.fm, abMP3, Google) from iTunes store. Ability to download and save YouTube videos. Download files from Safari. Apps can run in the background. And a hell of a lot more! And yes, I like the Comic Sans MS font.

Edited by merlock

^ Nice theme. I agreee about the jailbreak.

My favorite apps are:

PocketInformant (replaces default calendar)

ForeFlight Mobile (AMAZING flying app...well worth the subscription...its no longer $80)

Facebook

RunKeeper

and Cylay (Jailbroken app...lets you track your phone via website if it's ever stolen)

Games

Wordsearch

Mahjongg Artifacts2

Railroad Madness

Flight Control

Harbor Master

Toobz

AC-130

Pocket God

Sports

Sportacular (beats ESPN app hands down, check out free version-only diff is paid has no ads)

Misc

Pandora

Last.fm

Google Earth

WolframAlpha

Now, if you haven't done it, jailbreak you iWhatever. Contrary to what Apple would have you believe, it is not illegal, and not everyone is looking for a hacked version of Call of Duty. Here is a screenshot of my lockscreen, and home screen:

Lock

lock1.jpg

Homescreen

home.jpg

The ability to have everything in folders on one page is great. 5 icons in the bottom dock. Personalized status bar. Ability to search different sources (Amazon, Last.fm, abMP3, Google) from iTunes store. Ability to download and save YouTube videos. Download files from Safari. Apps can run in the background. And a hell of a lot more! And yes, I like the Comic Sans MS font.

I've googled "jailbreaking" before, what is the best program to use?

Guest merlock

I've googled "jailbreaking" before, what is the best program to use?

It mostly depends on what firmware your iDevice running, and to a lesser extent-what hardware the device is.

By far, the easiest is Blackra1n.

^ Nice theme. I agreee about the jailbreak.

My favorite apps are:

PocketInformant (replaces default calendar)

ForeFlight Mobile (AMAZING flying app...well worth the subscription...its no longer $80)

Facebook

RunKeeper

and Cylay (Jailbroken app...lets you track your phone via website if it's ever stolen)

Agreed on ForeFlight Mobile. The subscription is still $74.99 a year though. I've been using the free 30 day trial the past few days during our cross country. Nothing like being able to drop a deuce while planning my flight. I wasn't able to get the flight plan filing part to work though (kept getting some error message).

Misc:

The Weather Channel

mSecure

iTrailmap

REI Snow Report

Cheap Gas!

FlightAware

PilotWiz

Dragon Dictation

DishNetwork

GoodReader

STRATFOR

Games:

UnblockMe

Traffic Rush

Labyrinth

Craps

Scrabble

Sudoku

Falling Balls

Lightsaber

Jungle Crash

Moron Test

Voices

Edited by TacAirCoug

• 1 month later...

Favorite:

Sleep Cycle and is right now .99. The accelerometer measures your movement throughout the night. You can see peaks and valleys of your sleep. The point of the app is to wake you up within a thirty minute window when you are not in a deep sleep so you can wake up refreshed. So far it is pretty right on.

*I am no way affiliated with this app.

I've got like 8 pages, but these are the ones I use most frequently. Also if you don't yet have google voice you need to get it. It's amazing, and if you work in a place you can't have a phone, it allows you to send and receive texts, calls, and voicemails. Military have priority on invites, just go here to get started.

Utility:

Bump (Bump is a must have, it's seriously the most useful app I have)

DirecTV

Golfshot GPS (cost like $20 but works better than a $200 sky caddy IMO)

Sportacular

Shazam

Translator

Urbanspoon

AeroWeather

USAA

Showtimes

First Aid

USA Manual (Really useful for political discussions)

USA Forces

Weather Channel

Pandora

Chipotle (Awesome for skipping lines during the lunch rush)

IMDb (I'm always looking up movies, actors, etc so this is very handy)

Games:

FlightControl

Fieldrunners (Seriously addicting)

Lux Touch (Risk)

Tap Tap 1 and 2

Labyrinth

Mr. Aahh!!

Rock Band

Edited by Gravedigger

It mostly depends on what firmware your iDevice running, and to a lesser extent-what hardware the device is.

By far, the easiest is Blackra1n.

How exactly does this work? I heard that once you download it and mess with your iPhone you cant sync it without it resetting the old format. Maybe I misunderstood, but regardless I'm not technilogically informed enough to understand any ill effects to the phone and/or problems encountered with retailers should I need to take the phone in for some sort of glitch or problem. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Because I've seen a few jailbroken phones that look cool and want to do myself.

Anyway, a list of what I like:

UTILITY:

USAA

Red Laser

Files

Kayak

Pilot Wiz

AeroWeather

Weather Channel

FUN/GAMES:

USA Today Crossword

Shazam

Flixster

TFLN (Texts From Last Night)

Epic Fail

Battleship

Kaeru Jump

Words with Friends FREE (my new favorite)

Look up Blackra1n and follow the instructions; it's incredibly easy. You can still sync with itunes like normal, just don't accept any software updates (until the new software version is jailbroken), i.e. if you jailbreak at 3.0.2, don't let itunes update you to 3.0.3 until that version is jailbroken. Usually you won't have to worry about it that much unless you really have a hard on (sts) for having the most up-to-date version.