Firearms at the BX

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

I don't know what kind of prices they have on Glocks at the BX, but Glock offers some very good discounts to military if you buy direct from them.

I have the order form if anyone is interested.

[ 18. December 2006, 12:27: Message edited by: Beaver ]

Oh shit, really? What are they carrying? Might be time to take a trip up to Barksdale...

Seriously, this will be interesting as it is--for the most part--illegal to bring a personally-owned firearm on base. I wonder how you are expected to get it outta the BX and back home?

And before anyone answers, I am kidding...I am sure these are hunting firearms and there is some provision for getting them off base.

As for the Glock discount for military, you have to go through a Glock Law Enforcement dealer to get it. It is about $100 off the normal price, and applies to AD, Guard, Reserve, and even us old retired slugs! The discount is also extended to EMS/EMT personnel.

Personally, I prefer the XD over the Glock, especially considering the kB! issue! Some end up looking like this...

glock21kb9af.jpg

Cheers! M2

Seriously, this will be interesting as it is--for the most part--illegal to bring a personally-owned firearm on base. I wonder how you are expected to get it outta the BX and back home?
We've got a skeet range on base, and the cops have never given me any trouble for bringing a shotgun or two on base. Sometimes I'll bring a shotgun and some clays out to the drop zone, and the cops have never had a problem even when I'm hauling guns in a GOV.

Originally posted by Helo Hopeful:

I like the springfields too so if anyone has some info on those I would be very interested.

I just picked up a XD .45 ACP. Love it.

Originally posted by Goin2UPT:

The BX at Barksdale sells a wide array of handguns, shotguns, hunting rifles, and even a couple AR-15s. They carry Glock, SIG, S&W, Berreta, plus a few more in the handgun case. The Glocks seem pretty reasonable, around the $500 to $600 range.

Sweet! I have never heard of AAFES selling any firearms. I wonder how it works out, as here in Texas I have any easy time buying a guy with my concealed handgun license. How does it work from a federal perspective? It makes me wonder why the BX's in the Lone Star State don't sell them...there is certainly a market here!

Cheers! M2

I'm want to hear more about how this handgun on base thing is going to work if AAFES is selling them. I'm sure I won't be the first to say that that rule is dumb.

M2, Boom, Helo Hopeful, et al--the XD rocks. Me loves my XD.

[ 18. December 2006, 21:33: Message edited by: sleepy ]

Originally posted by M2:

Service or Tactical? I have the Service, and it is my primary carry gun. 13+1 of .45ACP, can't go wrong with that!

Cheers! M2

Service, it's going to be my carry gun also.

Guest vectorpecker

I used to work for a glock distributor and as long as you're active duty military, retired military, police, firefighter, homeland security here is what you look at for prices...

the only catch is that you need to google and find a glock distributor in your area...they're the only ones allowed to sell at these low prices

G 17 (Full 9mm)

G 19 (Compact 9mm)

G 26 (Sub Compact 9mm)

G 22 (Full 40)

G 23 (Compact 40)

G 27 (Subcompact 40)

the above all run $431.07 out the door, price might differ according to sales tax % in your area

G 21 (Full .45 ACP)

G 30 (Compact .45 ACP)

G 36 (Sub Compact .45 ACP)

all the 45's run $464.07 out the door with tax again with tax you might pay a little more or less

as far as the XD's are concerned, I personally love them. they are great for home defense, they offer better safety features than glock (in my humble opinion), the price is a little steeper than glock but for what you get in an XD it more than worth it, and finally the weapon has been tested and beat to crap and it still outperforms a glock

take a look:

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.../SPstory11.html

bravo to the base exchange for such an endeavor!

VP

Thanks, the only question I have is I thought you had to buy from a Glock law enforcement distributor to get the discount.

I too applaud AAFES decision to sell guns, I only wish the ones around here were doing so!

My XD-45ACP Service was the first semi-auto I owned, having a couple of wheel-guns before that (one of which is a 1954 Colt .357 Magnum, which was my father's before he passed away. It is a very sweet gun!). I loved the XD so much I ran out and bought a M1911 GI a few months later. Of course, I also love firing rifled slugs through my Mossberg Persuader 12ga tactical shotgun! Big boom, big hole!

Cheers! M2

I wish the BX here sold guns. They have everything else. But then I'd probably buy another gun, and that's not what I need to do right now.

M2, glad to see you bought a 1911. They are excellent weapons! Here's mine that I built from the frame up:

2d7bk82.jpg

It's a Thompson Auto Ordnance (one of the good ones), with Wilson Combat everything w/ a full trigger job, Colt Mark IV barrel, polished barrel throat and ramp, machining to tighten slide/frame tolerances, and Pachmayr American Legend grips. I did all the work myself (except the frame tightening) and it was one of the most rewarding things when I shot 1" groups at 25 yds with it on the first test fire after the work. And the trigger action is sweeeeet.

OK, here's the story on purchasing guns at KBAD:

1. Be 21 years of age

2. Fill out the standard applications, etc

3. Have a Louisiana address

4. Have a Louisiana driver's licence OR you need to provide a copy of your PCS orders to Louisiana.

As for taking the gun off base once you buy it, there is another form that authorizes you to take the gun from the BX to an off base location. You need to immediately leave the base once the gun is in your custody.

Sorry, M2. It doesn't look like you'll be able to make the driver over here and buy a gun unless you somehow meet all those requirements.

I took a closer look at their inventory. They have several models of 1911, a couple of XDs in 9mm, an H&K USP .45, and even a silver Walther PPK. It's a pretty nice selection really. It rivals the selection at the Bass Pro Shop here in Bossier City.

Guest vectorpecker

M2

yep, you're right it needs to be a law enforcement glock distributor, forgot to include that. thx for the catch.

yeah, my buddy has that milspec 1911 it kicks arss!

Guest vectorpecker

M2

yep, you're right it needs to be a law enforcement glock distributor, forgot to include that. if you go into a regular gun shop or the local gunshow they'll just scoff at you if you tell them you're entitled to a military discount. as it is now, glock is 10,000 guns behind demand so if anyone out there has the opportunity to take advantage of the deal, do it. they are very reliable and accurate weapons. thx for the catch.

yeah, my buddy has that milspec 1911 it kicks arss!

Guest josephperez826

You can have a handgun in base, as long as is unloaded, out of reach and with proper authorization and you are going in the most direct route for your destination. This is for those who think that they can go around a base with a loaded weapon (exception SF while on duty). You can take your private weapon to an authorized range and shoot there. But since there rules are different from place to place you will have to find out with range control for proper instructions or guidance. And GOD FORBIDS you enter a Base or a Fort without reporting the weapon to the guard at the gate. Even as a LEO I was expected to report that I had my weapon when I crossed the gate while offduty, and they could understand why I had it loaded and on my inmidiate person. But is not the same if you are an enlisted, an officer or a civilian who has a ccw permit. It wont hurt to ask the guy at the gate about procedures concerning a weapon on base, but it could hurt you career and even your freedom if you don't.

JP

Thanks for the clarification, I knew you could take a weapon on base under certain circumstances (heck, there used to be rod & gun clobs on almost every base); but nowadays it is a heck of a lot tougher.

If anyone is ever in the San Antonio area and looking for a great range, Camp Bullis (in the north part of town at the intersection of IH-10 and Loop 1604) has some great facilities as well as a nice hunter's lodge. You can actually hunt on the camp but the paperwork to do so is a *****. It is much easier to find someone with some property that will allow you to hunt there.

By the way, the "Bullis Buck," which carried antlers with 35 scorable points and an outside spread of more than 27 inches--a monster rack that ranks as the third-largest taken from a native whitetail in Texas--was stabbed to death with a pocket knife by Camp Bullis personnel responding to a call about an injured deer on the grounds of the 28,000-acre military reservation...

attachment.php?attachmentid=746&stc=1&d=1102631416

(and no, that is not me in the pic!)

Cheers! M2