Cyber Command?

Smokin

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123028524

Air Force leaders to discuss new 'Cyber Command'

by Staff Sgt. C. Todd Lopez

Air Force Print News

10/5/2006 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- Air Force leaders are gathering in early November to discuss plans for creation of a new command, one chartered with flying and fighting in cyber space.

Cyberspace became an official Air Force domain, like air and space, on Dec. 7, 2005, when Secretary of the Air Force Michael W. Wynne and Chief of Staff of the Air Force Gen. T. Michael Moseley introduced a new mission statement.

In a letter to Airmen, they said the new mission was to "deliver sovereign options for the defense of the United States of America and its global interests -- to fly and fight in air, space and cyberspace."

Now, Air Force leaders are planning to stand up a new "cyber command," to be responsible for fighting in that domain, said General Moseley.

"To deliver the full spectrum of effects we will evolve a coherent enterprise, with warfighting ethos, ready to execute any mission in peace, crisis and war," the general said. "We will foster a force of 21st century warriors, capable of delivering the full spectrum of kinetic and non-kinetic, lethal and non-lethal effects across all three domains. This is why we are standing up an operational command for cyberspace, capable of functioning as a supported or supporting component of the joint force."

"The domain is defined by the electromagnetic spectrum," Dr. Kass said. "It's a domain just like air, space, land and sea. It is a domain in and through which we deliver effects -- fly and fight, attack and defend -- and conduct operations to obtain our national interests."

How do you fly in an electromagnetic spectrum? As if the computer nerds weren't bad enough before, how bad are they going to be when they have their own command?

[ 05. October 2006, 20:03: Message edited by: Stud@Luke ]

Can't wait until these sweet babies come out:

2llj71t.jpg

Sadly, this is as sharp as my Photoshop (and by that I mean Microsoft Paint) skills get. But you get the idea. A-2 jacket: standard issue.

Guest clouddawg

Perhaps they will even get to wear flight suits, you know in case their computers catch on fire or they spill hot coffee in their laps

Seriously, if it goes anywhere, I suspect it will be the Air Intelligence Agency, co-located here on Security Hill. The 67th Network Warfare Wing--which is an AIA unit--is a good hint that AIA could be that "Cyber Command." Also, prior to becoming AIA, it was a command (AFIC and ESC). Plus, look at their mission statement:

Provide information operations forces delivering battlespace awareness, all-source intelligence and information warfare capabilities to air component and joint force commanders, DoD, and national agencies...anytime, anywhere.
and their "vision"...

The AF leader in the employment of integrated intelligence and information warfare to attain information dominance for America's security.
But, as I work for STRATCOM in the same building as AIA, I haven't heard any rumblings on it. If I do, I'll let everyone know as I realize you are all anxious to know...

Cheers! M2

• 2 weeks later...

How did a trekkie get put in charge of this outfit? Check out her bio:

http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=8507

She has no scientific education or credentials. Anyone who took high school physics would understand that this description defies basic physics and is utter nonsense. Cell phones communicate via radiofrequency radiation, not traveling electrons.

According to Dr. Kass:

An electron may travel from a cell phone to a cell tower, for instance. The path the electron takes, the shape of its path, the speed it travels, and the direction it travels are all critical to ensuring the cell phone works and that a usable signal is received. As part of a signal, an electron can travel from a handheld computer to a reception tower, over a wire to a telephone, to a television through an antenna, from a radio transmitter to radio, and from computer to computer as part of a network.

She has discredited herself amongst the nerds that she will be in charge of. Of course, the PA machine published it verbatim. No wonder the base lan sucks, look who's running "cyberspace".

How did a trekkie get put in charge of this outfit? Check out her bio:

http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=8507

She has no scientific education or credentials. Anyone who took high school physics would understand that this description defies basic physics and is utter nonsense. Cell phones communicate via radiofrequency radiation, not traveling electrons.

According to Dr. Kass:

An electron may travel from a cell phone to a cell tower, for instance. The path the electron takes, the shape of its path, the speed it travels, and the direction it travels are all critical to ensuring the cell phone works and that a usable signal is received. As part of a signal, an electron can travel from a handheld computer to a reception tower, over a wire to a telephone, to a television through an antenna, from a radio transmitter to radio, and from computer to computer as part of a network.

She has discredited herself amongst the nerds that she will be in charge of. Of course, the PA machine published it verbatim. No wonder the base lan sucks, look who's running "cyberspace".

Nothing better than putting a qualified person in the job, was there on comm guy availiable? Dr. Kass' ed info

EDUCATION

1971 Bachelor of Arts degree in political science and Russian area studies, summa cum laude, Hebrew University of Jerusalem

1976 Doctor of Philosophy, with distinction, The Kaplan School of Economics and Political Science, Hebrew University of Jerusalem and Columbia University’s School of International Affairs

1986 National War College, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.

Not a damn thing involving World of Warcraft training schools, no Counterstrike experience, how can we expect her to fight terror in the web without experience in the main methods of online war making.

But seriously why not actually get the right person for the job, rather than a civilian, brilliant.

Best thing is, now, that units with a proud history will be converted or resurrected into squadrons, etc, under Cyber Command.

The proud Vanguards of the 76th TFS, a longtime A-10 unit from Alex, have for a while been the 76th Space Control Squadron following the closure of England AFB. While the former 527th TFTAS, a longtime Alconbury F-5E aggressor squadron, is now proudly the 527th Space Aggressor Squadron.

Guest KoolKat

I was thinking...I'm too good for a Master's degree too. I'm going right for the PHD as well.

If you insist on arguing with me, Sir...I'm going to zap you with a strem of electrons from my mobile phone contraption! Back off, Sir!

Oh, and the wonderbread bomb in Counterstrike still makes me laugh years later!

BENDY

Guest kottlows
Originally posted by MD:

is now proudly the 527th Space Aggressor Squadron.

So...... now they fly captured TIE Fighters against our space defenses?

movie_sm.jpg

Simulated only, I guess.