Approach Plates

Guest mfont

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should subscribe to Jeppesen. Anybody have any comments on this? I've heard that military pilots only use NOS. Is this true?

As a fighter guy, I've never used a Jepp chart. A shame, since when I go for that ATP I'm gonna have to learn!

Anyway, I don't think it's of any utility to subscribe to Jepp as an individual military pilot. I'm guessing that the heavy dudes who use Jepps with approval have a squadron subscription and don't fork out the dough from their own Per Diem Cowboy fund.

[ 02. December 2004, 19:07: Message edited by: Hacker ]

Guest C-21 Pilot

C17Driver is correct...

MAJCOM Terps officials (DOV) have to review and approve all Jeppesen Departures and Approaches. STAR arrivals need not be TERPS'd, therefore, that is the one Jepps product you can and should have on you at any time (if it differs from the DOD FLIP) regardless of the planned arrival. There is a multitude of software out there to grab the stuff...our unit uses JEPPView.

In fact, missions flying into some of the larger airports (LAX, JFK, Brussels, Frankfort, etc) almost exclusively use Jepps for all arrivals, departures, taxi instructions and parking spots. It's a bloody shame when you have to bow your head and request a progressive w/ the big boys...not that I haven't done it.

Remember as well, Jeppeson is only a publishing company who prints what host civilian "Terps" officials declare legal - they can't be held liable for errors. Not always the most accurate stuff...hence the scrutiny that MAJCOM's go through to declare an approach legal.

The FliteTime video series found here has excellent training tools that we use in USAFE to familiarize ourselves about Jepps. I've either reviewed or used a Jepps document on approx 90% of the flying to non-US fields in Europe and Africa.

[ 03. December 2004, 01:27: Message edited by: C-21 Pilot ]

• 5 years later...

Thread Revival:

I was just at Oshkosh and saw that Jeppesen now offers their Jeppview service on the Ipad. Does the Air Force as a whole have the Jeppview account along the lines of the SDPs or do I need to convince my particular unit to buy a plan in order to use all the charts, plates, etc?

Thread Revival:

I was just at Oshkosh and saw that Jeppesen now offers their Jeppview service on the Ipad. Does the Air Force as a whole have the Jeppview account along the lines of the SDPs or do I need to convince my particular unit to buy a plan in order to use all the charts, plates, etc?

Straight out of our Vol 3:

6.16.2.4.1. Special Departure Procedures (SDPs). SDPs are MDS-specific OEI escape procedures intended only for emergency use. They are applicable after the loss of an engine and, where available, should be used for engine-out departure planning. In order for an aircrew to use an SDP, both pilots, navigator (when applicable) and flight engineer must have completed required training. Loadmasters do not require SDP training. Downloading the SDP ensures crews have the most current edition available. All C-130 SDPs posted on the Jeppesen AFOPSDATA website are approved.

Jeppesen website: HTTPS://WWW.JEPPESEN.COM

Username LOGIN: usafsdp

PASSWORD: aircrews

'Ad hoc‘ requests for fields not currently listed may be requested through OGV NLT 48 hrs prior to scheduled departure. MAJCOM/A3V authorizes the use of Ad Hoc SDPs for a maximum of 30 days after the analysis date. The SDP analysis date is located in the upper left-hand corner of the takeoff performance sheet.

Guest Touch & Go Rentals

Thread Revival:

Another hurdle you will run into is the use of unauthorized electronic devices below 10,000 ft... I doubt the iPad will be added to the approval list anytime soon. I have a Kindle and had my approach plates loaded on that. Even that raised enough eye brows in Stan/Eval that I didn't use it for flight, even though there is more electronic stuff going on in a wrist watch than in a Kindle after the page is set and wireless turned off.

BIG discussion going on right now at the AFFSA level about EFBs (Electronic Flight Bags). Nothing approved on a force-wide level yet, but different folks are looking at different options. The big issues about electronics and approval for flight under instrument conditions, etc. have all been raised in the above posts. Same thing we just got from the bubbas in OK City.

Bottom Line: NGA DVD in a fly-away laptop is money. Plan on probably sticking with paper for foreseeable future. NGA has some great tools that you can use to collect all your IAPs, SIDs, etc. for a trip and print them.

Cheers! :beer:

Linda

• 4 weeks later...

BIG discussion going on right now at the AFFSA level about EFBs (Electronic Flight Bags). Nothing approved on a force-wide level yet, but different folks are looking at different options. The big issues about electronics and approval for flight under instrument conditions, etc. have all been raised in the above posts. Same thing we just got from the bubbas in OK City.

Bottom Line: NGA DVD in a fly-away laptop is money. Plan on probably sticking with paper for foreseeable future. NGA has some great tools that you can use to collect all your IAPs, SIDs, etc. for a trip and print them.

Cheers! :beer:

Linda

AFFSA needs to wake up and get on board with technology. The advent of inexpensive electronics, capable of providing pilots enhanced SA is here! From chart readers (bye bye to the pubs officer, say hello to Lt iPad) to moving map displays that are small enough, light enough, and durable enough to fit on a kneeboard is here. The lame excuses of "tactical" environments, instrument conditions and NVG capability are ridiculous. Put the iPad and other inexpensive technologies to the test. There are plenty of missions and aircraft that could safely employ these technologies as a "Proof of Concept" for the rest of the Air Force.

Wouldn't you think Apple would be receptive to a DOD's request to "rugged-izing" the iPad? How about if this request was for, say, 10s of 1,000s "Military Grade" iPads? Not just for flying either. How about our brothers on the ground, driving in Humvees?

Never understood the whole "Below 10,000ft" concept either. Can anyone point out in the FARs where 10,000ft is the magical altitude?

C17Driver is correct...

MAJCOM Terps officials (DOV) have to review and approve all Jeppesen Departures and Approaches. STAR arrivals need not be TERPS'd, therefore, that is the one Jepps product you can and should have on you at any time (if it differs from the DOD FLIP) regardless of the planned arrival. There is a multitude of software out there to grab the stuff...our unit uses JEPPView.

In fact, missions flying into some of the larger airports (LAX, JFK, Brussels, Frankfort, etc) almost exclusively use Jepps for all arrivals, departures, taxi instructions and parking spots. It's a bloody shame when you have to bow your head and request a progressive w/ the big boys...not that I haven't done it.

Remember as well, Jeppeson is only a publishing company who prints what host civilian "Terps" officials declare legal - they can't be held liable for errors. Not always the most accurate stuff...hence the scrutiny that MAJCOM's go through to declare an approach legal.

The FliteTime video series found here has excellent training tools that we use in USAFE to familiarize ourselves about Jepps. I've either reviewed or used a Jepps document on approx 90% of the flying to non-US fields in Europe and Africa.

[ 03. December 2004, 01:27: Message edited by: C-21 Pilot ]

I love the "Jeppesen is only a publishing company". Seems that is all NGA is too. NGA doesn't have TERPs experts employed; maybe ex-TERPs personnel, not active ones. On the other hand, the services employ active TERPs personnel, with the preponderance in the AF, predominantly AMC--Air Force = AFFSA, Army = USAASA, and Navy = NAVFIG.

After these standards agencies review and apply TERPs criteria, they send the "publishing instructions" to NGA for publishing and distribution.

I have seen many times FLIP missing and misapplying information on their charts.

Can't sue Jeppesen for liability. Well, guess as a servicemember, you can't sue NGA either.

I also heard, Jeppesen has extensive relationships with the various civil aviation authorities (CAA), coordinating plenty of "corrections" with them. CAAs make mistakes too, and Jeppesen makes every effort to ensure what comes in the door is quality information. Anything questionable is challenged and not published.

Just FYI : AFFSA is quite "on board" with technology and the times...we flew the first JPALS approaches in 2007 and fly with EFBs regularly. And if you want EFBs or to go paperless in the cockpit, we've already told your MAJCOM how to do that. We brokered the Jepp echart deal, keep SDPs available and are trying mightily to get Jepps products improved so they can be more widely used in the Service. Of course, we also killed the fix-to-fix and are on board with the SGs rule about sunglasses...so your point is taken...

Just FYI : AFFSA is quite "on board" with technology and the times...we flew the first JPALS approaches in 2007 and fly with EFBs regularly. And if you want EFBs or to go paperless in the cockpit, we've already told your MAJCOM how to do that. We brokered the Jepp echart deal, keep SDPs available and are trying mightily to get Jepps products improved so they can be more widely used in the Service. Of course, we also killed the fix-to-fix and are on board with the SGs rule about sunglasses...so your point is taken...

How about getting "declared distances" ("Double/Trouble D", or whatever people are calling it) in the approach plates (a corner on the airfield diagram maybe?) or IFR supp instead of having to reference the FAA Airfield Directories, which we don't carry in our FLIP bags? Sure we have them in our flight planning areas/base ops, but that does no good on the road.

Never understood the whole "Below 10,000ft" concept either. Can anyone point out in the FARs where 10,000ft is the magical altitude?

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/72f58116704fc3d986256a71006ed5b0/$FILE/AC91-21-1A.pdf

Note that the 10,000' part is tied into the Sterile Cockpit Rule, not as a stand-alone electronics issue. Implementing the 10,000' rule is just the Air Force's (as the "operator," in FAA parlance) interpretation of that; FWIW, that interpretation matches that of many airlines....