Swine Flu at the Academy

nsplayr

Reason #132 not to go the the Air Force Academy: Swine Flu!

Source

The Air Force Academy has diagnosed 15 basic cadet trainees with swine flu and isolated another 74 who have exhibited symptoms of the world-wide pandemic.

None of the cadets have been hospitalized and remain isolated inside a campus dormitory, officials said.

The cadets are part of the 1,344 incoming freshmen who arrived at the academy June 25 for training. Academy officials started isolating cadets Monday after symptoms worsened, said John Van Winkle, an academy spokesman.

“We are taking the necessary precautions to educate and safeguard military and civilian personnel, as well as family members,” said Lt. Gen. Mike Gould, the Air Force Academy’s superintendent, in a statement. “The entire cadet wing and all USAFA personnel have been informed and given instructions of actions to take if flu-like symptoms are exhibited.”

Tests sent to the Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine Epidemiology Lab at Brooks City Base, Texas, confirmed the 15 swine flu cases Friday afternoon. The other 74 trainees’ tests sent to the laboratory have not yet been completed.

The entire cadet wing is scheduled to return to the academy Aug. 6. Re-scheduling that date has not been considered, said Capt. Corinna Jones, an academy spokeswoman.

A U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention official said it is aware of the academy’s swine flu cases and is monitoring the situation.

“Thus far the academy has properly followed the guidance of the CDC,” said Joe Quimby, a CDC spokesman. The guidance includes isolating patients who exhibit flu-like symptoms.

Training will be adapted to account for the illnesses, Van Winkle said. That will include restricting all basic cadet trainees to campus for what was called “Doolie Day Out” on Friday.

It is traditionally the first day trainees get the day off and can leave campus to rest before they enter Jacks Valley for basic training. The day will now be called “Doolie Day Off” as academy officials are preparing activities to allow trainees to relax on campus.

“This is a serious matter and we are treating it as such. We understand friends and family are concerned about their loved ones and we will release updates as information becomes available,” Gould said in a statement.

This is the third Air Force site airmen have contracted swine flu over the past two weeks. Cases have also been confirmed at Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas, and Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska.

PC Disclaimer: I hope they all get better and grow up to be outstanding AF officers etc. etc.

ha, well, good luck to my brother who is in that class.

Just out of curiosity, on this Doolie Day Off, do they get their cell phones or do they get their cell phones at all during summer camp? I was kinda curious when the first time I'd hear from him would be.

Didn't have cell phones when I was there so couldn't tell you, but you were able to use the phone at the house that you ended up at on Doolie Day out. Since they are being kept on campus, I can only assume that someone thought through this and figured out that letting them use the phone was a good idea (cell phone or not).

Edited by Herk Driver

Guest Lindseyaf

The basics who brought cell phones with hem got them back today, and for those who didn't, they set up a phone bank. But seeing that it is now night and Doolie Day Off is over, I'm sure you already know this.

Update

Denver Post

July 14, 2009

AFA Cadets Confirmed To Have Swine Flu Now Up To 67

COLORADO SPRINGS — The number of cadets with confirmed cases of swine flu at the Air Force Academy has increased to 67.

The Gazette in Colorado Springs reported Monday that 121 freshmen with flulike symptoms have been separated from the rest of the cadets.

They were placed in a separate dormitory on the base near Colorado Springs late last week when they started showing symptoms. The "doolies," members of the incoming freshman class, are among about 1,300 recent arrivals for their first weeks of military training.

A possible outbreak of swine flu ended a summer youth camp early at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, where 10 students and three staffers showed symptoms Sunday.

The Associated Press

For the poor guys stuck in isolation:

hot-chick.jpg

Edited by CA

What happened to the other AF Academy Swine Flu thread? It was way better.

Since it was a dupe, they lock it and usually delete the thread, which is why I posted the pic in before the lock. All good things must come to an end. No big deal, you can always look at the demotivational poster thread.

And back on topic, it sucks to be at the Academy right now, I guess. I wonder if they're taking it easier on them because of the circumstances.

Edited by Timbonez

Since it was a dupe, they lock it and usually delete the thread, which is why I posted the pic in before the lock. All good things must come to an end. No big deal, you can always look at the demotivational poster thread.

And back on topic, it sucks to be at the Academy right now, I guess. I wonder if they're taking it easier on them because of the circumstances.

No, it is a big deal because I can't look at the demotivational poster thread- this upgrade sucks.

Saw this on the ebird today, thought it was quite an appropriate number for the seamen affected:

Honolulu Advertiser

July 21, 2009

Swine Flu Hits Navy Group Visiting Hawaii

69 test positive for H1N1; crew members with flulike symptoms quarantined

By William Cole, Advertiser Military Writer

At least 69 sailors and Marines tested positive for H1N1 swine flu within a Navy ship group now visiting Hawai'i.