Good Intel Sites

B52gator

Ever since I have gotten out, I miss getting my daily dose of what is going on in the world (from a military intel standpoint). Does anybody out there know of or use any good intel sites (obviously unclass)? I still have access to Earlybird...which is just basically news clippings and I use sinodefence.com to keep up on Red China. FAS isn't bad, just a little biased.

Per M2's suggestion, I still get the free Stratfor.com breifings via email. Very well written.

Yep, one of the best! I also look at several others, to include the State Department's INFOCENTRAL (I think you need a .GOV or .MIL for it) and a myriad of other crisis watchgroups that offer subscription services.

But STRATFOR is pretty much the best open source analysis I have found for current events. It is better than some of the classified stuff I get!

Cheers! M2

Ever since I have gotten out, I miss getting my daily dose of what is going on in the world (from a military intel standpoint). Does anybody out there know of or use any good intel sites (obviously unclass)? I still have access to Earlybird...which is just basically news clippings and I use sinodefence.com to keep up on Red China. FAS isn't bad, just a little biased.

Does anyone know who runs sinodefence? Their site says it is an independent organization out of the UK, but how do we know it is not really run by "those Chinese sons of bitches?"

I say this because - and this is slightly off topic - a lot of news agencies and web sites are owned by a small handful of powerful companies or organizations. I look at every source of information (especially on the Internet) with a very skeptical eye until it is proven trustworthy.

If anyone gets a chance to read any of Lou Dobbs' books, he brings up some interesting thoughts (although I disagree with him on many issues). In his War on the Middle Class he talks about how virtually every newspaper, movie studio, and cable TV station is owned by one of eight major media companies - which I did now know.

For example, Viacom/CBS (which allegedly separated into two companies again but still have the same chairman who owns 70% of each) owns MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, Country Music TV, Spike, TV Land, BET, Paramount Pictures, Dreamworks, CBS TV Network, CBS Radio, Kind World, Simon & Schuster, Showtime, Paramount Parks, and many others.

General Electric owns NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, Telemunto, USA, Bravo, Sci Fi, A&E, History Channel, Sundance channel, Paxson Communications (63 TV stations), 29 Viventi Universal TV stations.

NY Times Corp owns the Times (of course), the Boston Globe, International Herald Tribune, sixteen other newspapers, eight TV stations, two radio stations, 40 websites, Discovery Channel, and the Boston Red Sox.

Anyway, I digress.

I'm not sure if Alert5.com is still around, but I think that'll satisfy your needs.

I'm not sure if Alert5.com is still around, but I think that'll satisfy your needs.

Errr...maybe not!

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.alert5.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

www.strategypage.com is an awesome website as is www.china-defense.com (forums have tons of chinese military photos). For photos for briefings, militaryphotos.net is great as you can find pictures of any hardware there.

As for what's going on in North Korea, I read a couple of English language Korean newspaper websites (http://joongangdaily.joins.com/, http://english.chosun.com/, http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/index.asp). I get a better grasp of pol-mil issues in nK than I do by reading our official stuff. Seriously. Half the stuff in those newspapers is leaked from the ROK National Intel Service...