Tweet Retirement

Final T-37 Checkrides are today at Sheppard. After this class graduates, there will be about one more month and then July 30th they will fly the last of the jets to the "Boneyard" (AMARG at DM).

Large number of you all flew the Tweet, thought you'd want to know...

Dewey,

Are you going to the T-6 or are you going to return to the Bone a little early?

SM

Its about time. They were old, bent, and sucked big time when I flew them....and that was in 1968. However, they really were great aircraft for their intended purpose, and I think the tandem seating was a nice feature in a basic training aircraft (except when I would screw up bad and the IP would quietly reach over and pinch off my oxygen hose). There were more than a few times as a T-38 IP that I wished I could have gotten my hands on the stud in the other seat!!

Standby for pictures.

ASU- T-6 Transition next week (I'd be happy to get an early return but they don't wanna let me go.)

Old, bent, busted, rusted... Still one of the most reliable and durable aircraft we have. If the T-6 lasts 20 years we'll be lucky. And sitting next to the student is so nice, except when they are puking, since you can actually see what they are doing, even what they are about to do. If we could keep the Tweet with the T-6 sunshades I'd be ready for another summer!

edited for punctuation

Edited by Dewey...BoneDriver

Sitting in the jet the other day waiting for a fix and thinking about how you had to sometimes shake the tweet on engine start to get her to fire up.

Had fun in that jet, especially the day we had 12 solo studs in the pattern. Glad I lived through that one.

She'll be missed

"I'm sorry for the T-6A (Texan II) student pilots," he said, "because they didn't get to fly the T-37."

Well at least we had a/c...

Seriously though, I am kinda bummed that I never got a flight in a Tweet...always heard it was fun as hell to fly. I highly doubt the Texan will last anywhere as near as long as the Tweet did.

Guest Hueypilot812

Glad I got to fly the Tweet. It really was a fun airplane to fly.

It would be cool to buy one and form some kind of flying club.

Glad I got to fly the Tweet. It really was a fun airplane to fly.

It would be cool to buy one and form some kind of flying club.

There were a dozen or so [lot buy] for sale on barnstormers dot net about a month ago, going for something like $1.5 Mil for the whole deal. The listing is gone now, must have sold.

Too bad there gone, someone here could have bought em' up, fixed em' up then become a contractor to Big Blue so Pred/Reaper dudes could fly real jets to keep their skills up just like the old ACES program.

"BaseOps Aviation Services... Providing Real Jets to Guys Banished to the Land of UAS"

Sure it would never happen, but then again Big Blue spends all kinds of money on crazy stuff; like 48" plasma screens for restrooms. So never say never again... or so said Mr. Bond.

If the T-6 lasts 20 years we'll be lucky.

Not to sidebar too much, but we have 11 year old T-6s at Columbus, which fly the same as the ones fresh from the factory. Doubt we'll beflying them in 40 years, but they sure as shit will be in service well into the future.

They might have been delivered in 2000, but the oldest tail numbers I remember were 98; possibly flown at Moody?

Anyway, whatever age the older T-6's were.. they flew like dog shit.

They might have been delivered in 2000, but the oldest tail numbers I remember were 98; possibly flown at Moody?

Anyway, whatever age the older T-6's were.. they flew like dog shit.

The year that is on the tail number is not the year the jet was built.

The year that is on the tail number is not the year the jet was built.

Usually its the year that production lot was contracted for...might be a year before its actually built, a little longer before it shows up on the ops ramp (but varies with the aircraft and its complexity).

Guest whyme?

Lt. Col. Doug Antcliff, a standards and evaluation pilot from 19th Air Force, has flown the Tweet for the last 11 years. He said the aircraft is the same today as it was in 1991 when he was a student pilot. But, it doesn't make it any easier to see an "old friend" retire.

HOW???

the rest of us are getting nailed with UAV and a horde of Alpha billets while one guy stick in one airframe. Did he ever see combat? A flying shoe???

Lt. Col. Doug Antcliff, a standards and evaluation pilot from 19th Air Force, has flown the Tweet for the last 11 years. He said the aircraft is the same today as it was in 1991 when he was a student pilot. But, it doesn't make it any easier to see an "old friend" retire.

HOW???

the rest of us are getting nailed with UAV and a horde of Alpha billets while one guy stick in one airframe. Did he ever see combat? A flying shoe???

Maybe he's a reservist IP.

Minor point, but didn't the first T-6's get delivered in 2000?

Columbus has tail # 95-3003. It has to be at least 11 years old I would think. 3500-ish hours on it.

When I was at the factory a couple month ago an '08 tail was next off the line, so I'm kind of assuming a 1-2 year lead for the T-6 fleet.

And 11 years flying the Tweet is nothing. There are Reservists who have been here for 15 years. Pretty sure more than one retired with over 3,000 hrs in the T-37 . . . . 1.3 at a time.