Going to the 69th

BQZip01

Just got a RIP today. Looking for some ideas for a morale patch.

<poster now sits back and watches the creative wheels of BaseOps start spinning...in a sophomoric sort of way...>

EDIT - Sorry, that would be the 69th Bomb Squadron.

Edited by BQZip01

This is the old patch, I am sure the new one will be similar...

69thbombsquadron.jpg

More info on it here and here (this one has the new patch on it); and a little history on the squadron here.

And if you want patch ideas, look here.

Welcome to Minot!

Cheers! M2

Just got a RIP today. Looking for some ideas for a morale patch.

<poster now sits back and watches the creative wheels of BaseOps start spinning...in a sophomoric sort of way...>

When I was up there and when we heard the new sqdn was going to be the 69th, another dude and I came up with a patch with two BUFFs on it. I'll let your imagination run wild from there.

So if I get a BUFF at the drop Friday, should I expect to be seeing Minot soon, or has the manning evened out enough so that I could potentially stay in Shreveport?

It entirely depends on the "wisdom" of the people at AFPC. For our class it was about 75% to Minot and 25% to Barksdale. The class behind us was 50-50.

When I was up there and when we heard the new sqdn was going to be the 69th, another dude and I came up with a patch with two BUFFs on it. I'll let your imagination run wild from there.

THAT'S the kind of stuff I've come to expect from my compatriots on BaseOps! Keep 'em coming! (sts)

THAT'S the kind of stuff I've come to expect from my compatriots on BaseOps! Keep 'em coming! (sts)

It was actually a pretty cool idea, it was a simple circle style patch with two BUFFs on it. No writing or anything on it, just that. The standard side profile shot of a BUFF in black going one way, the same style BUFF upside down going the other way. Kinda when the two Thunderbird solos "69" during their show.

It was actually a pretty cool idea, it was a simple circle style patch with two BUFFs on it. No writing or anything on it, just that. The standard side profile shot of a BUFF in black going one way, the same style BUFF upside down going the other way. Kinda when the two Thunderbird solos "69" during their show.

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I have a new Avatar...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are all of the crews needed for the new squadron coming from within the BUFF community and UPT? I thought I remember a brief from AFPC about a year ago asking for volunteers from other airframes to help fill seats.

Guest alfakilo

The 69th <i>what</i>?

Is it the Werewolves, the old Viper squadron from Moody?

I stopped off at Moody sometime back in the 80s, saw the 69th sq, and went in to look around. The CC was a school classmate and explained that the reason the patch looked like it did was because it was a combination of the original 69th patch and something else that I can't recall now.

He seemed to be proud of it. I thought it sucked...why change something that had been around since WW2?

I stopped off at Moody sometime back in the 80s, saw the 69th sq, and went in to look around. The CC was a school classmate and explained that the reason the patch looked like it did was because it was a combination of the original 69th patch and something else that I can't recall now.

He seemed to be proud of it. I thought it sucked...why change something that had been around since WW2?

It all depends. If it prominently featured something that is either verbotten in the Air Force or a retired/obsolete airframe, it might make sense to alter the patch a little.

Guest alfakilo

It all depends. If it prominently featured something that is either verbotten in the Air Force or a retired/obsolete airframe, it might make sense to alter the patch a little.

Here is the 69th patch as it looked from at least the Korean War (F-84s) to 1983 (F-104s). The sq name was just "The Fighting 69th".

69 TFTS.jpg

When the unit left Luke and went to Moody, it combined with another squadron (70TFS?) and the patch was changed to this and the name changed to the "Dragons".

69 TFS.jpg

After this, the patch changed to the "Werewolves".

It's all in one's appreciation of AF heritage, I suppose.

Edited by alfakilo

Here is the 69th patch as it looked from at least the Korean War (F-84s) to 1983 (F-104s). The sq name was just "The Fighting 69th".

69 TFTS.jpg

When the unit left Luke and went to Moody, it combined with another squadron (70TFS?) and the patch was changed to this and the name changed to the "Dragons".

69 TFS.jpg

It's all in one's appreciation of AF heritage, I suppose.

Not saying it isn't in their heritage, but could they just have been Friday patches?

Guest alfakilo

Not saying it isn't in their heritage, but could they just have been Friday patches?

The Dragons patch wasn't...don't know about the Werewolves patch.

The 69th didn't combine with the 70th. When I was there, the 68th & 69th were F-16's and the 70th was flying A-10's when they closed. (although they did fly F-16's at Moody at some point).

The Dragons patch wasn't...don't know about the Werewolves patch.

The patch I posted was a Friday patch. (that we weren't supposed to wear) I'll post some regular patch pics when I get back home.

The 69th didn't combine with the 70th. When I was there, the 68th & 69th were F-16's and the 70th was flying A-10's when they closed. (although they did fly F-16's at Moody at some point).

The patch I posted was a Friday patch. (that we weren't supposed to wear) I'll post some regular patch pics when I get back home.

I'd love to see 'em

• 2 weeks later...

I was re-reading this thread and I think there may have been both a 69th Bomb Squadron and a 69th Fighter Squadron. There might be nothing to relate the two...

Yep, def two different squadrons.