Unintentionally Funny Patches

Hacker

So, I thought it might be fun to see what kind of aviation patches you guys have that are unintentionally funny. Not a gag patch, but one that was supposed to be serious but ended up being not so much.

My favorite is this bit of Engrish from Korea: The McDonald Davis F-16 Eagle

f16mcdonalddouglaspatch.jpg

Guest Hueypilot812

I don't have any pictures of it, but I unknowingly contributed to a patch that was funny. It was summer of 2003 and I was flying C-21s. We started flying them into Iraq, and although we had a patch that said "Combat Learjet", we wanted something unofficial to commemorate the first time the C-21 flew into Iraq. So being a former Army helo pilot, I borrowed the old OH-58 patch that said "Aeroscouts, Unarmed, Unafraid" and developed a basic design of a C-21 imposed over the outline of Iraq. The top was supposed to be "Combat Learjet" and the bottom was supposed to say "Unarmed, Unafraid". Well, the end of my tour arrived and it wasn't finished, so I handed it off to my replacement, who promised to get them made.

A few months later, one of the guys from my unit deployed for 60 days, and came back saying he could hook me up with some t-shirts they made using the patch. He had a t-shirt, and I was horrified to find out they altered the original idea.

Whoever took the idea further decided they wanted to advertise the fact we had no defensive systems whatsoever in a better way. So instead, the top of the patch read "Combat Learjet" and the bottom read "Unarmed, Unaware". I declined to buy the t-shirt, citing that I wouldn't want to advertise I was "unaware".

I don't have any pictures of it, but I unknowingly contributed to a patch that was funny. It was summer of 2003 and I was flying C-21s. We started flying them into Iraq, and although we had a patch that said "Combat Learjet", we wanted something unofficial to commemorate the first time the C-21 flew into Iraq. So being a former Army helo pilot, I borrowed the old OH-58 patch that said "Aeroscouts, Unarmed, Unafraid" and developed a basic design of a C-21 imposed over the outline of Iraq. The top was supposed to be "Combat Learjet" and the bottom was supposed to say "Unarmed, Unafraid". Well, the end of my tour arrived and it wasn't finished, so I handed it off to my replacement, who promised to get them made.

A few months later, one of the guys from my unit deployed for 60 days, and came back saying he could hook me up with some t-shirts they made using the patch. He had a t-shirt, and I was horrified to find out they altered the original idea.

Whoever took the idea further decided they wanted to advertise the fact we had no defensive systems whatsoever in a better way. So instead, the top of the patch read "Combat Learjet" and the bottom read "Unarmed, Unaware". I declined to buy the t-shirt, citing that I wouldn't want to advertise I was "unaware".

I can't find a copy of it, but there was a class in Nav training that decided to go with a "Snakes on a plane" motif. They tweaked it to say "Navs on a plane". I thought the idea was pretty lame, but not particularly noteworthy...

...until I noticed one day their patch said their class was part of the "526nd FTS" (it should have been 562nd). The funny part was that the entire class, Sq/CC, OG/CC, Wing Commander, and patch maker didn't even notice the error until the patch was officially approved and all patches had been made.