T-38 Class A @ Sheppard

Ram

I heard there was a nonfatal T-38 Class A today at Sheppard.

Can anyone confirm this? Is everyone OK?

I can't find anything via Google...yet...

(I'm a former T-38 FAIP at KSPS. PM me if you know who's involved so I know they're OK. I have a lot of bros there...)

Guest soflguy

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2009/f...8-mishapstrong/

The student pilot of a T-38 C Talon was uninjured Tuesday afternoon when the aircraft left the runway after aborting a takeoff, according to the 82nd Training Wing Public Affairs office.

Emergency crews responded to the scene and the accident is under investigation. The student's identity has not been released by the public affairs office. Commercial air traffic into the Wichita Falls Municipal Airport was not affected and the airport remains open at this time.

maybe he's one of the 5 dudes that just got a uav dropped to him and is trying to wash out

I hope that's a ridiculously lame attempt at humor. I happen to be close friends with one of the referenced 5 and find that comment pretty damn insulting. :flipoff:

And for the record, none of them were involved in the mishap.

I happen to be close friends with one of the referenced 5 and find that comment pretty damn insulting. :flipoff:

Seriously? You find that insulting?

You need to get some thick skin or find a new line of work if that is insulting to you.

Seriously? You find that insulting?

You need to get some thick skin or find a new line of work if that is insulting to you.

Agreed, perhaps he should retain the title SNAP beyond 50 posts. Maybe change his screen name to Sally?

Can't get to the link above, quick version of what he aborted for?

Edited by Spoo

Can't get to the link above, quick version of what he aborted for?

Didn't say. Solo stud did a high speed abort and he caught the MA-1A. Stopped in the grass and had a main gear collapse. He egressed without injury

Wow! Sory guys, didn't mean to upset anyone. Just thinking back to the days when they were talking about dropping UAV's to UPT studs and many people had the attitude of "Fvck that, I'll just SIE if I get one," and now they're droppin 5 to a class.

But really, I hope the guys are ok. I still have some bros back at SPS.

Oh and stretch :flipoff: back at ya man

Edited by *

3?

Where'd 2 go?!? YEAH! - FACE! - indirect Top Gun reference bitches! :rock:

Wow! Sory guys, didn't mean to upset anyone. Just thinking back to the days when they were talking about dropping UAV's to UPT studs and many people had the attitude of "Fvck that, I'll just SIE if I get one," and now they're droppin 5 to a class.

Yeah dude, think we all got it. It was a lame joke - no offense. At least you called him No. 1 right back.

Edited by Spoo

Guest EN_GRAD
But really, I hope the guys are ok. I still have some bros back at SPS.

He's fine and was back at the safety shop within a few hours. I'm sure he has a sore neck today though!

Maybe this will get Sheppard (and hopefully the Randolph Aux Field) to get rid of the MA-1A. I'd be curious to see if the cost of a BAK-15 is less than the cost of this incident.

Since he was a solo stud, he had to takeoff on 15R compared to if it had been a dual crew, they more than likely would have taken off on 15C which has the BAK-15.

Since he was a solo stud, he had to takeoff on 15R compared to if it had been a dual crew, they more than likely would have taken off on 15C which has the BAK-15.

I think that was Huggy's point. Maybe they should put a BAK-15 on 15R. I'm sure the argument up to this point has been that the runway is 13,000' long. The likelihood of a barrier engagement on that runway is pretty slim. That's just a guess as to why it doesn't have one, but this obviously proves anything can happen.

I think that was Huggy's point. Maybe they should put a BAK-15 on 15R. I'm sure the argument up to this point has been that the runway is 13,000' long. The likelihood of a barrier engagement on that runway is pretty slim. That's just a guess as to why it doesn't have one, but this obviously proves anything can happen.

All I was getting at was that he didn't get to try out the existing BAK-15 because of the policy for solo takeoffs - which may be perfectly legitamate and in no need of change. Say the scheduler had put a dual crew in that same jet instead and now they would've taken the BAK-15 - because of normal ops. I wondered why they didn't have them on both runways when I was there so I'm all for it.

Or, I dunno, maybe some antiskid? Y'know, for the last remaining jet to ever get that cutting edge technology...

Just like every other jet out there, the T-38 has a long list of unfunded -- but approved -- upgrades. Antiskid is one of them.

Unless something significant has changed in the 3 years I've been away from the '38, the new seats are the only thing getting any money.