Military Homeowner Relief

Guest HoosierNAV

Guest Magicrat
Upside down in your house and looking to PCS?

Then this might interest you.

http://capwiz.com/military/issues/alert/?a...731&type=CO

I found a little bit more on this Bill S. 336

http://appropriations.senate.gov/News/2009...stment_Plan.pdf

`(3) TEMPORARY HOMEOWNER ASSISTANCE FOR MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES PERMANENTLY REASSIGNED DURING SPECIFIED MORTGAGE CRISIS- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary of Defense is authorized to acquire title to, hold, manage, and dispose of, or, in lieu thereof, to reimburse for certain losses upon private sale of, or foreclosure against, any property improved with a one- or two-family dwelling situated at or near a military base or installation, if the Secretary determines--

`(A) that the owner is a member of the Armed Forces serving on permanent assignment;

`(B) that the owner is permanently reassigned by order of the United States Government to a duty station or home port outside a 50-mile radius of the base or installation;

`© that the reassignment was ordered between February 1, 2006, and September 30, 2012, or an earlier end date designated by the Secretary;

`(D) that the property was purchased by the owner before July 1, 2006;

`(E) that the property was sold by the owner between July 1, 2006, and September 30, 2012, or an earlier end date designated by the Secretary;

`(F) that the property is the primary residence of the owner; and

`(G) that the owner has not previously received benefit payments authorized under this subsection.';

`(3) HOMEOWNER ASSISTANCE FOR PERMANENTLY REASSIGNED INDIVIDUALS-

`(A) IN GENERAL- Persons eligible under the criteria set forth in subsection (a)(3) may elect either--

`(i) to receive a cash payment as compensation for losses which may be or have been sustained in a private sale, in an amount not to exceed the difference between--

`(I) 95 per centum of prior fair market value of their property (as such value is determined by the Secretary of Defense); and

`(II) the fair market value of such property (as such value is so determined) at the time the person received change of permanent station orders; or

`(ii) to receive, as purchase price for their property an amount not to exceed 90 per centum of prior fair market value as such value is determined by the Secretary of Defense, or the amount of the outstanding mortgages.

`(B) DETERMINATION OF BENEFITS- The Secretary may also pay a person who elects to receive a cash payment under subparagraph (A) an amount that the Secretary determines appropriate to reimburse the person for the costs incurred by the person in the sale of the property if the Secretary determines that such payment will benefit the person and is in the best interest of the United States.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Magicrat

Here is an article that sums up the military housing portion of the Bill

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9021203503.html

I found a little bit more on this Bill S. 336

http://appropriations.senate.gov/News/2009...stment_Plan.pdf

`(3) TEMPORARY HOMEOWNER ASSISTANCE FOR MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES PERMANENTLY REASSIGNED DURING SPECIFIED MORTGAGE CRISIS- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary of Defense is authorized to acquire title to, hold, manage, and dispose of, or, in lieu thereof, to reimburse for certain losses upon private sale of, or foreclosure against, any property improved with a one- or two-family dwelling situated at or near a military base or installation, if the Secretary determines--

`(A) that the owner is a member of the Armed Forces serving on permanent assignment;

`(B) that the owner is permanently reassigned by order of the United States Government to a duty station or home port outside a 50-mile radius of the base or installation;

`© that the reassignment was ordered between February 1, 2006, and September 30, 2012, or an earlier end date designated by the Secretary;

`(D) that the property was purchased by the owner before July 1, 2006;

`(E) that the property was sold by the owner between July 1, 2006, and September 30, 2012, or an earlier end date designated by the Secretary;

`(F) that the property is the primary residence of the owner; and

`(G) that the owner has not previously received benefit payments authorized under this subsection.';

`(3) HOMEOWNER ASSISTANCE FOR PERMANENTLY REASSIGNED INDIVIDUALS-

`(A) IN GENERAL- Persons eligible under the criteria set forth in subsection (a)(3) may elect either--

`(i) to receive a cash payment as compensation for losses which may be or have been sustained in a private sale, in an amount not to exceed the difference between--

`(I) 95 per centum of prior fair market value of their property (as such value is determined by the Secretary of Defense); and

`(II) the fair market value of such property (as such value is so determined) at the time the person received change of permanent station orders; or

`(ii) to receive, as purchase price for their property an amount not to exceed 90 per centum of prior fair market value as such value is determined by the Secretary of Defense, or the amount of the outstanding mortgages.

`(B) DETERMINATION OF BENEFITS- The Secretary may also pay a person who elects to receive a cash payment under subparagraph (A) an amount that the Secretary determines appropriate to reimburse the person for the costs incurred by the person in the sale of the property if the Secretary determines that such payment will benefit the person and is in the best interest of the United States.

• 3 weeks later...

So what are the negative repercussions for the service member? Any affect on VA eligibility? I'm sure that there's no way that this is truly a "good deal" for those who are upside-down and getting the boot from their current duty station.

Guest USAFedex

Talked to Army housing people who run it. Said I had to be on active duty 1 Jul 06 and live in commutable distance to based assigned to. Not 150 miles. Said could be changes, should know in a month, but doesn't look like it will work for me as I can meet neither.

Commuting Resevist.

• 4 weeks later...
I can't, the date is absolute bullshit...the market did not decline until early 2007 and some of us bought a bit later in 2006.

My wife bought a house while active duty before we were married. She separated after we married and moved to live with me. 2 problems now: 1. She wasn't ordered out of the house, she separated. 2. The house isn't a primary residence so now it's considered an investment property.

But on the plus side, I could have the wife quit her job and we'll stop paying the motgage. Maybe then we'll qualify for some freebees. Thanks for nothing. I guess we'll keep payin for everyone else's handouts though.

• 10 months later...

New HAP rules are published, along with some guidance (http://hap.usace.army.mil/EP_PCS.html). The rules are still arbitrary and bullshit, but I lucked out and make the cut by 8 days now (for contract signature), as opposed to missing the cut by 12 days before (for closing date) for the original rules. THAT shows just how BS the date is. Keep writing your senators and representatives.

BONUS: it's tax-free now. But I digress...

It appears you need to have new orders in hand for US Army Corps of Engineers to process the application. I already know my PCS date and location. My question is: anybody know the magic words to get MPF/AFPC to expedite your orders?