good aviation colleges?

Guest Piperpilot2004

Guest Oface

Hey Piper you should check out Montana State University Bozeman. It is absolutely beautiful, world famous: mountains/skiing/boarding/hunting/fishing/kayakingetc...they have a new aviation program. It is a minor or two year program so you have to major in another course of study, which is a good idea considering the current airline troubles. The guy who started the school is a young guy and is the coolest dude ever, (great pilot too) all the instructors are great. They offer glider ratings and aerobatics as well. Since it is not a major you don't have to take all the other bs classes they try to sell you at other schools...just some really fun, beautiful flying. They have a ROTC det as well.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest waxgoblin

wow i just looked into Illinois - urbana champaign's Pro Pilot Program. It looks like a pretty cool program. you spend the first 2 years taking flying classes and core classes, then after those 2 years you transfer to any major you want at the school, so you end up with a bunch of flying experience and a bachelors in whatever, and its a pretty good school too.

Guest toughnuts

I am going to transfer to UND next yr., I am currently doing the program at a satellite school. I would say it all depends on the instuctor with the flight experience you get. Not the school. The program outline can help though, or it can be a pain. I don't care if having a degree in avaition will help me with military or not. I love flying and would not have it any other way.

• 2 months later...
Guest toughnuts

Alright so I decided to change my route ^^^^^^. Instead of getting my CFI and CFII, I am just going to stop at my Commercial certificate with intrument and multi-engine ratings. Then once I am at UND (next year), I will take up aerobatics. Always wanted to do that. I didn't really choose UND because of their advertising, the community college in the city that I have grown up in has an aviation program, it just happens to go through UND.

Edit: I will also start the ROTC program once I transfer. But my major I will be switching to 'Aviation Management', instead of commercial aviation. I already have alot of the classes done so the switch will be easy.

[ 10. October 2005, 00:43: Message edited by: toughnuts ]

• 10 months later...
Guest SnakeT38

With the airlines what they are now you should go to college to get a degree, not to fly airplanes.

Pay for the flying in some other way outside of a college program.

If you want to be a military pilot you don't need to waste that much money. If you want to be an airline pilot without being the mil pilot first, chances are very high that you will be grossly UNDERTRAINED and HAVE POOR JUDGEMENT, IF ANY at all. I see those types ALL THE TIME.......

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by SnakeT38:

If you want to be an airline pilot without being the mil pilot first, chances are very high that you will be grossly UNDERTRAINED and HAVE POOR JUDGEMENT, IF ANY at all. I see those types ALL THE TIME.......

Damn, I love it when someone gets right to the point even if it may seem "terribly insenstive".

The only thing better would've been to sprikle a few F-bombs in there, just to emphasize the point.

Snake, you are the man. Beers on me.

Guest Jpilot

The Aviation Institute at University of Nebraska-Omaha is a decent school. Omaha is a decent sized city with all the amenities but without the traffic and Offutt AFB is close by if you need to get mil stuff done.

Also, I second on ISU and N. Arizona. The individuals I've met from there seem to be pretty good sh!t.

Jp-

Guest bussman

I didnt read through this thread but...

SIU-Carbondale is a good school. If you want to fly for the AF I wouldnt reccomend going past your Private license....especially if you are strapped for cash.

But SIU's tuition is cheap, so are the girls... thats not a joke either. The major is pretty easy and they have a good ROTC program. If you're looking for a cheap and easy degree, look at there Aviation Management and Flight degree...If you dont have a 3.0+ in that you need to get your head checked.

I enjoyed my time there if that counts for anything.

Guest GardGuy

Was too lazy to read entire post, but as an Embry-Ridduclous grad I often wish I would have went to a major school. Don't waste your money on aviation degrees if you plan on flying for the AF. I was a comp sci guy on a four year scholarship - could have gone just about anywhere. The gpa and degree come well ahead of a degree in aviation - the AF will teach you how to fly - don't pay for it.

My husband went to ERAU in Prescott. He graduated in 2005.

He didnt do ROTC, because it would have been pointless for him to do it, and something about setting him back? Not sure about that one. But, he was AD for teh AF for 7yrs when he went to ERAU, and then became a AFR for the past 2yrs. So when he wasnt at school he was at Travis doing his AFR thing.

he just got a pilot slot for the AF.

• 4 years later...

That program was in decline long before now. I'm sure many of the saltier staff know more of the history, but some of the milemarkers on its way downhill:

-end of the Staff Air Transport Service (hastened along by Flightstar and for a while, two carriers into Willard)

-getting rid of the Helos, and while I was there, the Stearman

-end of the Mx program

-inability of the current program to sell itself to the mainstream academic programs on campus (can't count how many HF experiments I was required to participate in over 4yrs)

UofI is white-trash Ivy League (like to think they're IL, but obviously not). It's tough to hang out with that crowd when you have that 'vocational education' eyesore on campus.