pilot names on the side of military aircraft

Guest xclozano

Guest xclozano

What kind of pilots usually get to have their name printed on the side of the aircraft they fly ?

I've noticed this on mostly fighter jets, and helicopter gunships, but do airlift pilots (c-17,etc) get to do that as well ?

I've also seen names on trainer aircraft,like the T-6 Texan II--is it the name of the pilot that is being trained with that particular aircraft, or

the name of the instructor ?

Edited by xclozano

What kind of pilots usually get to have their name printed on the side of the aircraft they fly ?

I've also seen names on trainer aircraft,like the T-6 Texan II--is it the name of the pilot that is being trained with that particular aircraft, or

the name of the instructor ?

In fighters (and T-38s) all the qualified flyers get their names on a jet (no student names for trainers, only IPs). There is no real rhyme or reason to how the names of normal aircrew are put on the jets (the jet with my name on it is not 'my' jet and if I fly it, it's only a scheduling coincidence). The only exceptions are the squadron, group, and wing jets (jets that carry that respective designation on the tail; 333FS, 4OG, 4FW) and these aircraft have the respective commander's name on the aircraft.

There is no real rhyme or reason to how the names of normal aircrew are put on the jets (the jet with my name on it is not 'my' jet and if I fly it, it's only a scheduling coincidence).

It's amazing how many I have run into who think that the pilot's name on the jet is the only one who flies that jet, and I'm not talking about civilians who just don't know any better. Back in my days as a maintainer, I was at a tech school and I was the only prior service guy in the class. One of the guys in the class (straight out of boot camp) asked the instructor why the Guard pilots always did so well in competitions. The instuctor's reply was "It's because the Guard pilots are assigned a jet and that is the only one they fly and no one else flies it so they get it set up the way they like it and they know how it drops and shoots." :rock:

• Like 1

Guest AceTomatoCompany

Are the Isreali's still the only service that actually assigns one jet per pilot or is that an old wives tale?

They actually put names on the doors to the trailers. I wish I was making that up...

Please tell me you're kidding.....

What's next? "Nose art" on the side of the trailers? How about black and white photos ala WWII bomber crews....we can have the UAV crew kneeling/standing in front of the nose art of their trailer with hellfire missile shot icons recorded next to the art and the crew in A-2 jackets with headset on head or around neck. Make it a black and white photo to give it a "heritage" look.

:banghead:

They actually put names on the doors to the trailers. I wish I was making that up...

Wow. Not even dignified enough to have their name on something that is even capable of self propelled motion...like the door of the truck that hauls the trailer...sad.