Air Force Global Strike Command

Guest Gonads

With the presidents speech today stating the reduction in nuclear forces by 1/3 I wonder where that puts Global Strike Command ????

I'd pretty much say there will be plenty of nukes to go around. GSC is supposed to put the focus back on nukes so we stop accidentally hauling them across the country and shipping sensitive materials to Tawian, but that doesn't necessarily mean we have to stop reducing the overall number we have.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the presidents speech today stating the reduction in nuclear forces by 1/3 I wonder where that puts Global Strike Command ????

(unclassified notes; I don't know any of these figures to be true and they are for illustrative purposes only)

As far as I know, we have far more warheads than delivery vehicles. Cutting down the number of nuke warheads doesn't cut down the number of delivery vehicles. In actuality, it simply cuts down on the number of vehicles we have to maintain and the maintenance associated with it. If we only have 5 warheads per missile instead of packing it to the brim with 9, that is less maintenance. If we keep more in storage and less in the silos, that is also less maintenance.

In short, the number of warheads matters less than the reliability of the systems and their delivery vehicles. If we make them more reliable, there will be less of a need for redundancy and costs should go down in the long run.

Well to clarify, POTUS and POUSSR...err Russia only agreed to commit to negotiating an updated START treaty. Given that Russia won't seem to budge until we cancel the European missile shield, I wouldn't say said cuts are a guarantee at this point.

Guest Justshootme
Gotta agree with ya...even though I am not in anymore (almost a year already, damn), I would want the guy in charge of my command to be a flyer. i can understand that missiles are a part of GSC, but I would think you would want an actual rated guy in there. A missileer guy is kind of a slap in the face, IMO.

Speaking of SAC, would be interesting to see how many true SAC guys are left. I know the current (Shan) 23d's SQ/CC was the first guy to lead a BUFF sqdn and not actually be a SAC baby. Is RAOC still up in Minot? That guy reaks of SAC (sts) :thumbsup:

There are a select few remaining here at MIB. Rescue has moved on to school/staff. RAOC is most definitely still here, and leads EAP/CCP occasionally "so young man, you are 700 miles from country x and you recieve the following..." Nightmares.

If you knew VonO, he's retired, but is still working for the wing until his prized game warden job opens up.

WRT the 93rd, the FTU is already flying with them. They utilize 11th instructors and 93rd tails, with the reservists augmenting. Expect the 11th manning to draw down, but the unit will remain.

There are a select few remaining here at MIB. Rescue has moved on to school/staff. RAOC is most definitely still here, and leads EAP/CCP occasionally "so young man, you are 700 miles from country x and you recieve the following..." Nightmares.

If you knew VonO, he's retired, but is still working for the wing until his prized game warden job opens up.

WRT the 93rd, the FTU is already flying with them. They utilize 11th instructors and 93rd tails, with the reservists augmenting. Expect the 11th manning to draw down, but the unit will remain.

Rescue?

I was there for 5 yrs, everybody I "grew up" with there is now at Minot South (KBAD). I knew VonO quite well, he finally hung it up huh? Is he still in the bowels of X/P?

Guest Justshootme
Rescue?

I was there for 5 yrs, everybody I "grew up" with there is now at Minot South (KBAD). I knew VonO quite well, he finally hung it up huh? Is he still in the bowels of X/P?

Rescue=Kruse.

the Yoda of EW is working as a civilian for the WG/CC in XP-related functions.

And shame on you for giving that much credit to Barkatraz by associating it with the Magic City.

Damn, I miss good restaurants.

• 4 months later...

Reading in today's Early Bird about the transfer of the three missile wings from AFSC to GSC with the bomb wings from ACC to transfer as well.

Uhh, didn't we do this once and call it SAC? (rhetorical - I had to fight to escape SAC back in the dinosaur days...)

Second that Frankenklotz is the CC.

Jeezuz Keerist, that guy won't die. A vampire-like stake through the heart probably wouldn't do it either. Watch your backs, boys and girls.

Whatever happened to the public law about having to be rated to command aviation units?

Either way, that ghoul is an example of hanging on and climbing no matter how long it takes. He was an Lt Col in the late 1980s as a frame of reference. Not respected at all. Perfect example for the leadership issues of our Air Force. Great "all about me" skills, however.

Jeezuz H. Freakin' Keerist...