Power Loss/engine Failure On Takeoff

stingray

because they start the 180 degree turn, while pulling back on the yoke to maintain level flight

Exactly what I was thinking...whatever you do, don't stall the airplane...the rest is pretty situational... Good-on-ya for thinking about it before hand.

Had an AB blowout at 100 feet with 2 MK-82's onboard on a Block 50, initial takeoff. Ate HUD for a few seconds, reached for the OG doorbell then realized I was gaining airspeed very slowly. Didn't want to FOD out the onbase house my wife was in. Worked out......go/nogo in the Viper, gear up or down

Guest Cap-10
Had an AB blowout at 100 feet with 2 MK-82's onboard on a Block 50, initial takeoff. Ate HUD for a few seconds, reached for the OG doorbell then realized I was gaining airspeed very slowly. Didn't want to FOD out the onbase house my wife was in. Worked out......go/nogo in the Viper, gear up or down

Two Mk-82's....watch out! :thumbsup: (Couldn't pass that up)

I thought the Viper go/no go was "Is the engine still running......No, then ABORT"

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

Guest tmickel
No assumptions. You have a good engine until proven otherwise. If I lose the last one, then yes, eject.

My jet will fly on one engine, though not a recommended technique.

Yeah, definitely not an eject situation, but I'm assuming you have an Ejection checklist that goes beyond the boldface... Things that involve getting the cockpit ready and whatnot... Wouldn't you start running that as time permits if you lost 3 of your engines?

Yeah, definitely not an eject situation, but I'm assuming you have an Ejection checklist that goes beyond the boldface... Things that involve getting the cockpit ready and whatnot... Wouldn't you start running that as time permits if you lost 3 of your engines?

We have an ejection checklist that goes beyond the boldface. It's called a controlled ejection checklist. Regardless of how many engines we lose, if there's compunding problems which will prevent us from making it to a runway, then we run that checklist. Otherwise, our main focus is on getting the jet back on a runway safely.

Yeah but at least I don't have some knucklehead wasting oxygen in the back seat and sucking the SA out of the cockpit (no STS required) ....

If there's only one seat in your pit, that only leaves one option as to who is wasting oxygen and draining SA.

Guest Hueypilot812
Ahhhh.....

G-Heart....FTFA!!!!

What a character!!

Yes, that's the G-Hart FTFA profile out of KPDX in the sim. Flew that plenty of times. It works...at least in the sim. Is G-Hart still working for CAE? I miss the Learjet community sometimes...refresher sims were always fun...Embassy Suites, DFW, great per diem, civilian clothes, good sim instructors...can't beat it.

If I could somehow, I wouldn't mind doing one more tour in the C-21.

As for the question asked, it's a good question...every pilot should think through various emergencies. Losing one on takeoff is obviously much more a problem in single-engine aircraft, but can be an issue in mutil-engine aircraft...for example, in the Learjet, loaded with pax and gas, taking off hot and high...losing one can be a major problem if there's obstacles. In the Herk, climb out can also be a problem on 3 engines, and Vmca is always a concern. Always good to have an out. The T.O. doesn't always address every situation.

For GA, I have an out with every single runway at home plate. When I get to an outfield, I pick them out.

Every flight, I climb out at Vx to get the most altitude in the least horizontal distance from the runway end.

Vy conversely gives you the best rate (FPM), but at a higher speed and that drives me farther away horizontally from the runway...you have more smash but if you have no wind SA this farther opition can make a normal landing impossible.

IE. a Vy of 75Kts drives 1.25 NM in a min vs say a Vx of 65Kts drives you 1.08 NM in a min - delta of about 800'/min horizontal distance). @ Vx 800-ish VVI I get to my target safe altitude of 1000' in 1 min 15 secs using Vx, but if I drove out at Vy I would be at max power for less time (about 1000 VVI & better for that crit engine bolt that's about to break-off) but farther away with more smash, again, and on a bad day, more wind to deal with.

choices...

Guest bunk22

Covered pretty good so far. I flew multi-engine turbo props for the Navy (C-2A Greyhound) for many years and now instruct in T-34C's. Also flew T-2C Buckeye with the ejection seat. All certainly had different procedures for dealing with a lost engine. The T-34C only has one so depending on altitude and position, it will determine where ya go. The C-2A was a bit more unforgiving but you did have two engines. I also lost my port engine off a touch-n-go during FCLP's back in 02. I was the IP in the right seat when it flamed out. Hot humid weather at the time (Choctaw in Pensacola) so the climb performance was degraded in the thunder pig, even being empty (meaning cargo and crew). Not to comfortable in the right seat either with the large rudder requirements while flying. Probably didn't have enough runway to set it down so I opted to climb out single engine and turn downwind. This single runway is 8000' and runs north south (18/36). Unfortunetly, couldn't hit the appropriate single engine climb speed. I was able to climb to 300' (very slowly...as I climbed out at 100KIAS or so), dip the wing 5 degrees into the good engine but 105KIAS straight and level is all she would do (needed 115KIAS minimum to climbout single engine). Of course I had already feathered the prop. We also got a chip light on flameout so that ruled out an airstart but I was to busy anyway. I pulled power a bit, no worky. I then dumped the nose to gain some airspeed but didn't gain enough. Now I was at 200', hobbling along. So, I dumped 2000#'s of JP-5 all over the panhandle of Florida. Fuel dump is an option on our single engine. The aircraft accelerated, I climbed out, turned downwind and made a full stop. I've had 3 other single engines (2 shut down for loss of oil pressure and the other did not relight on an FCF B) but all were at altitude. This low level one sucked a bit more. Thats why our endspeeds off the carrier were usually a good 15KIAS above single engine speed in case we lost an engine, especially when heavy. Dumping fuel would have been mandatory in that scenario. If had been in the left seat, I think the whole thing would have been much easier. Again, I certainly was not comfortable flying from that right seat.

Covered pretty good so far. I flew multi-engine turbo props for the Navy (C-2A Greyhound) for many years and now instruct in T-34C's.

SpeedCleanCheckFeatherLookLock

TurnClimbCleanCheckDetermineDeliverReduceLower

CrewCanopyCordsMaskHarnessCrouchDivePull (when all else goes to hell)