Number Designation

Guest cobaltmetallic

Guest cobaltmetallic

Does anyone know the method behind the number designations of air forces, wings, groups, etc? There have been wing, such as the 3800th Air Base Wing, that have very large number designations. Where the heck do they come from?

Guest cobaltmetallic

I couldn't find the answer to my question. Thanks for the link, and I'll keep looking.

"Geek check..."

"2"

"3"

" The numerical designation often derived from the flying unit associated with it. For example, at periods during the USAF's history, support units were designated with a four digit identifier - e.g. 3800 when supporting the 380th TFW/BW, etc. That same designator would be applied to the support group, support squadrons, etc to differentiate from the flying units. The number of digits was an attempt at uniformity, kinda like painting a base a certain shade of brown or changing the uniform to mimic Delta Airlines or the RAF. Depends on who was in charge at the time......"

That is, I believe, what you will eventually find out. I don't have the reference, but I remember it from a gig in a historian's office.

(Yeah, I'm boring, I get it............)

Does anyone know the method behind the number designations of air forces, wings, groups, etc? There have been wing, such as the 3800th Air Base Wing, that have very large number designations. Where the heck do they come from?

Four digit wings were command established wings as opposed to USAF established wings. SAC had a dozen or more in the 60's.

http://www.strategic-air-command.com/wings/4digit-home.htm

For general information about wings and squadrons go here

http://afhra.maxwell.af.mil/rso/rso_index.html and select "Types of USAF Organizations" for an explanation.

If you want to know about a specific USAF established wing/group or a squadron, select "Wings/Groups" or "Squadrons/Flights"

Support groups and squadrons usually have the number designation of the parent Wing:

355 Fighter Wing has 355th Operations Group, 355th Maintenance Group, and so on. The Maintenance Group has the 355th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, 355th Component Maintenance Squadron, you get the idea I hope.

More than you ever wanted to know.

M2,

That has to be the most typical pass the buck answer that is given daily around the military. It gave me a flash back to base inprocessing! hehe :salut:

I live to serve! :salut: right back at ya!

Cheers! M2