Leadville

tac airlifter

Leadville, Colorado has the highest field elevation in the United States and the third highest in the world. It sits at 9927' MSL. I am thinking of taking an OST (off station trainer) there in mid march. I am curious if anyone here has been to the airfeild. I tried a search but turned up nothing. The webiste for the airport has some interesting info, but I'm looking for firsthand military experience. Thanks!

I have an album of photos from Leadville in the baseops gallery. I don't have "firsthand military experience" but I have flown to the airport in a normally aspirated C-172 Hawk XP. A lot of the helicopter manufacturers do high altitude testing out of Leadville. The runway is short, the mountains are high, and the weather is extremely unpredictable. There's not much more to it than that.

I flew in there once in the C-21. They obviously don't have contract gas, so plan on tankering some fuel. As long as the weather is nice, its not a real problem. The only thing we had to deal with in the -21 is with our pressurization system. Since our emergency pressurization kicks in around 9500' cabin alt, we have to turn off the auto pressurization and revert to manual. Not a big deal, just a little non standard.

Before I left, I remember us being restricted from flying in there but can't quite remember why. It was a squadron-imposed restriction though. If you have time, swing by Eagle, CO. They have contract gas, super nice FBO, and they will give you free T-shirts and hats. Highly recommend!

It's worth the trip. I landed at Leadville in a Turbocharged Seminole back in 2002. If nothing has changed, they ought to give you a t-shirt and/or some type of certificate regarding landing at North America's highest airfield. Good time, great view, have fun and go for it.

Wheelz

If nothing has changed, they ought to give you a t-shirt and/or some type of certificate regarding landing at North America's highest airfield.

They do. They give you a "certificate of pilotage." It's actually a nice certificate, so I would be sure to ask for it at the FBO.

Thanks, that was just the kind of information I was looking for. We're taking a slick herc, and it turns out one of the FE's from my squadron has been there before as well, so I think all my questions will be answered.

You should take Special K as the Nav.

Guest C-21 Pilot

Techsan,

I'm VERY surprised that you were able to get in there. I specifically remember the AMC FCB's restricting ops in that area except for Eagle Co - which you mentioned. Also, there was specific guidance in the Vol 3 dictating that ANY mission/trainer in that area except for Eagle Co needed AMC/A3 approval. As far as why the limitation was put in....I know. I recall when I went to the OGV conference that there was no TOLD data to be able to compute a required climb gradient based on rwy length...basically, there was no way to validate your high altitude departure TOLD. There was a dude from KCOS who planned some stuff up there and basically got his ail schwacked when he got "jumped" for a mission eval. It's been a few years since I was in them, and I know things can always change - but, that was the underlying issue, no TOLD data to verify takeoff.

For this very reason is why we built the South American OST's to get the High Altitiude ops in Peru (besides the "Grande 'Garitas" in Cancun which was always a required stop for the Ravens. Funny thing, I haven't yet to see a field over 7000' MSL.

I haven't personally been to Leadville, but some of the other guys in my C-21 squadron have been in there for high altitude training w/ the aforementioned pressurization system. I haven't heard of any restrictions for us to go in there, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I have been to Eagle Co. and that is cert field for the C-21 guys b/c of the SDP that is associated w/ the field. The highest field I've been to in the C-21 was very recently, at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, which was 7500'.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you loco? Leadville is the profile for every Herk refresher sim/MOST mission I've done, and those never have a very happy ending! It always ends up with #1 windmilling, #2 feathered, zero hydraulics, a 25-knot xwind, freezing rain, a stuck compass card, tumbled ADI, and an NDB to a no flap landing.

Guest Safe&Clear
Leadville, Colorado has the highest field elevation in the United States and the third highest in the world. It sits at 9927' MSL. I am thinking of taking an OST (off station trainer) there in mid march. I am curious if anyone here has been to the airfeild. I tried a search but turned up nothing. The webiste for the airport has some interesting info, but I'm looking for firsthand military experience. Thanks!

Just remember: if they give you a T-shirt and plaque, there's probably a good reason. No-sh!t look at your charts-- ALL of them-- and see if your particular model Herk can climb out of there on 3 motors at whatever weight you anticipate. I assume you plan to do this before summer? That would probably be best...

Anyway, don't give "The Man" an excuse to give us all another reg! :(

• 4 weeks later...
Just thought I would provide an update. I went into Leadville with a herc yesterday and it was pretty badass. I highly reccommend anyone who is off station and looking for a challenging approach to stop in.

The three times I've tried to could we could have landed, but there was no way we'd get off the ground. (C-310 and a C-172RG) So I've flown over it a few times, once we even saw a AH-64 there...that really surprised me. I figured a '47 would have no problems getting up there, I guess the '64 just flew the valleys and passes up either from Carson or Alamosa (Army high altitude training center).

I've always enjoyed flying into places like Aspen or Animas air park in Durango. Animas was a fun time...did it in a KA-200.