U-28 info request!

Guest Sparrow910

This may sound dumb, but what is NSS? And what office would i be telling?

NSS is a scoring system used by the Navy. It's used for for both track selection and airframe selection. The formula is kept secret though many have tried to decipher it with limited success. It's akin to the Pilot Candidate Selection Method (PCSM) score used by the AF for pilot selection. NSS takes into account a host of factors, mostly flight grades, to spit out a score relative to x-number of your peers. The higher NSS the better. If you go through Whiting or Corpus you'll become familiar with the system.

For NSS information ad nauseum check out this post on AirWarriors.

Edited by ColoradoAviator

NSS is a scoring system used by the Navy. It's used for for both track selection and airframe selection. The formula is kept secret though many have tried to decipher it with limited success.

Formula isn't secret...they put it up on a TD-1 here at VAFB for the maritime types.

The inputs are "secret" because they are always changing since they are only based on the last 60 to select...and just because one dude pulled a 62 doesn't mean he pushed the curve right (necessarily) because he could have bumped a guy off that would have an adjusted score of 65 pushing the curve left overall.

In theory you could get a good wag if you had every Navy dude submit their gradesheets and compared them all. My guess is that the actual scoring method is based on deviation from MIF rather than absolute grades. Just a guess though...

This may sound dumb, but what is NSS? And what office would i be telling?

The only AF office here at Corpus. There is a Maj who is in charge and works all the drops with AFPC.

Almost forgot...the Navy is changing the NSS system this week so you'll be able to see your "projected" NSS whenever you want. Should be available to VT-31 studs next week or so.

Edited by flyaf05

Almost forgot...the Navy is changing the NSS system this week so you'll be able to see your "projected" NSS whenever you want. Should be available to VT-31 studs next week or so.

Current NSS transition date is 1 Sep.

Supposedly it (your interim NSS) will show up in TIMS, also

• 1 month later...

Honestly, the more I hear about U-28s the cooler it sounds. I am not sure how much of it is true, but I am sure it is a very worthwhile and rewarding mission.

For you pilot trainees out there. I know some of you wanted 38's because you want some good flying, Type A community. If you got the T-1 instead and have the option. Put U-28 #1. You have a chance to make a community with tradition and pride. The flying is going to be 6-9 times more exciting than anything in the heavy world. As a fighter dude, if I had to crosstrain to anything out there, a U-28 would be on the list after finding out the cool stuff they are doing.

• 5 months later...
Guest RAGATO
For you pilot trainees out there. I know some of you wanted 38's because you want some good flying, Type A community. If you got the T-1 instead and have the option. Put U-28 #1. You have a chance to make a community with tradition and pride. The flying is going to be 6-9 times more exciting than anything in the heavy world. As a fighter dude, if I had to crosstrain to anything out there, a U-28 would be on the list after finding out the cool stuff they are doing.

Does anyone have any good contact information regarding looking into some of the unclass details of the U-28 & it's mission? I'm a retired guy looking into the RRORP and the U-28 is one of my options and I'd like to be better informed before I make the call on my preferences. And since I am retired I don't have the .mil access but can go through my buddies on base if necessary. Good luck to all & Thanks!

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Does anybody know if U-28s are currently available to T-1 guys? They seem to drop only to the T-38 side, whereas NSAs go to the T-1 side (which I haven't seen in awhile at Laughlin). On the selection sheet NSA and U-28 are lumped into one option.

Thanks for the help.

Does anybody know if U-28s are currently available to T-1 guys? They seem to drop only to the T-38 side, whereas NSAs go to the T-1 side (which I haven't seen in awhile at Laughlin). On the selection sheet NSA and U-28 are lumped into one option.

Thanks for the help.

Not the UPT expert here but they should be available from any track (T-38, T-1, T-44). Whether that's current policy or not IDK. And they are not the same as NSA so make your preference known if you want one or the other. Technique only, one has a much more desirable location than the other...