T-38 Instructors at Beale and Whiteman

Guest JDAM69

Guest JDAM69

Just wondering if the T38 IP's at these bases were U-2 and B-2 pilots or if they are strictly T-38 IP's , and if they are where do they usually come from ???UPT bases or from MWS's thanx for the help. and do they still fly A model or did they get the c model ?????//

At Whiteman all B-2 pilots also fly T-38As. A majority of our IPs are guys straight from UPT who instruct for a year or so then start B-2 training. Whiteman is currently taking about 2 from UPT per year and the rest are from ACC. No words on the C model yet.

Guest thefranchise

I was at Beale earlier this year; they told me most 38 IPs were dual qualified with the U2 but they also had a couple 38 only IPs. Beale has the A model 38s and had no plans to upgrade to C models.

Guest JDAM69

Thanx for the info, Does any one know if its mostly contact and x coutries or do the 38's at beale also do form

Thanx for the info, Does any one know if its mostly contact and x coutries or do the 38's at beale also do form

Here's an old post of Huggy's from Flight Info (circa 2005):

Everyone gets a basic checkout before they start U-2 training. It consists of instrument training and contact (VFR patterns, emergency patterns/landings, aerobatics, flight characteristics, traffic pattern stalls, etc...). Once checked out, you can go on cross-countries to improve skills, work on various nav events, etc... The cross-countries leave on Friday and return Monday. We can go to most any airfield that has a gov't contract, tower, and 8000 feet. Most pilots get a basic low-level checkout, which allows you to fly VFR point-to-point at 1000', or to fly on a Military Training Route at up to 420 KIAS at 500' (actually, we have restricted ourselves to 1000' AGL).

Finally, you can get a formation checkout. This is difficult, since the average line pilot is only home for 2-3 months, and there is a lot to do during that time. Finding the time to work hard on the formation training can be tough. If you have formation time from a previous aircraft, that helps a lot.

About half the pilots here didn't fly the T-38 in UPT, so when they come back from a 70 day TDY, they just like to focus on getting their single-ship skills honed back to the way they were before they left.

As a T-38 IP, it's a great deal. I get to fly the full spectrum, and a great deal of two- and four-ship formations. Our depot is at Holloman AFB, so we go back and forth to there to pick up jets that have been overhauled or painted.

Does that cover your ??? If not, drop me a follow up.

Ok, I guess no C model according to Huggyu2 but heard nothing here regarding it.

At Whiteman you can get qual'd in all events in the T-38 and fly X/C pretty much whenever you want. I guess formation is easier here since we don't deploy often so currencies are usually not an issue. We also do several formation X/C.

Guest Sparky

We (B-52 community) send a lot of dudes to the B-2, recently had a buddy return after washing out of B-2's (didn't know that was possible)...he was one of those few dudes in the B-52 that had never flown the T-38, he graduated from UPT during that short phase when Buff drivers came from the Tone. He told me that the dudes who had never flown the T-38 were prohibited from getting checked out in low-level and formation. I don't know if he was just being bitter or if this is actually true. We send some of our younger guys to T-38 PIT enroute to flying the B-2 and then after instructing for a year or so at whiteman they go through the B-2 school house (not sure if they are still doing this). I have seen one dude go up there as a T-38 IP from the CAF and make such a name for himself that they sent him back to his MWS.

Edited by Sparky

We (B-52 community) send a lot of dudes to the B-2, recently had a buddy return after washing out of B-2's (didn't know that was possible)...he was one of those few dudes in the B-52 that had never flown the T-38, he graduated from UPT during that short phase when Buff drivers came from the Tone. He told me that the dudes who had never flown the T-38 were prohibited from getting checked out in low-level and formation. I don't know if he was just being bitter or if this is actually true. We send some of our younger guys to T-38 PIT enroute to flying the B-2 and then after instructing for a year or so at whiteman they go through the B-2 school house (not sure if they are still doing this). I have seen one dude go up there as a T-38 IP from the CAF and make such a name for himself that they sent him back to his MWS.

Yes you can be checked out in whatever events you want to be and it doesn't matter if you came from the T-1 or not. We have several T-1 guys who flew heavies and are current in form and LL. However currently you had to fly the T-38 in UPT to come to Whiteman now. About the dude who washed out he was out of the cockpit for a few years and had some unfortunate events occur during his IQT so just bad timing on his part. I didn't know him well and don't know the situation fully but it's a small community.

Also yes we still make guys T-38IPs from other MWS but only a few, a majority are straight from UPT who need the experience and time to get their security clearance.

I had heard a rumor that the U-2 and B-2 wings will soon transition to the T-6 as a replacement for the T-38. Anyone able to confirm that?

Yes, I can: that rumor is false.

As for PIT, we send a few pilots to PIT each year. For others, we do a local IPUG using the ACC IPUG syllabus. Depends on their background.

Edited by Huggyu2

A bit of a threadjack... I saw a rumor on another thread on this site (imagine that, a rumor on baseops...) that the B-2 was going to be dropped to T-1 studs beginning in FY 09. Any of you B-2 guys got wind of this? Do you think its likely? I'm a C-21 guy who will be looking for an MWS in 09, and the B-2 would be awesome if it were an option. Probably a long shot, I know...

A bit of a threadjack... I saw a rumor on another thread on this site (imagine that, a rumor on baseops...) that the B-2 was going to be dropped to T-1 studs beginning in FY 09. Any of you B-2 guys got wind of this? Do you think its likely? I'm a C-21 guy who will be looking for an MWS in 09, and the B-2 would be awesome if it were an option. Probably a long shot, I know...

I very seriously doubt it because they want guys who have flown the T-38 in UPT. In the last few years we have only accepted these folks but that doesn't mean it won't open up to everyone again in the future. We have taken a few from the C-21 before so who knows, just keep checking.

• 7 years later...

I dropped B-2s from UPT a few weeks ago and understand I will be a 38 IP for 1-2 yrs. I was wondering if anyone can speak to manning in the 394th CTS, the amount of hours a new guy could get in the 38, and what variables determine when you get to start B-2 training. I've heard VSP's have taken a lot of the 38 IPs- wondering if that's true. Any other info or lifestyle suggestions would be great. My family is planning on getting a house in Warrensburg. Good idea?

Edited by StorminMormon

I was strictly a T-38 IP at Whiteman from 2008-2011 and as for quality of life, it was great. There were three flying periods with 0900, 1200 and 1500 take-offs and at that time and money for cross-countries. Also, I would recommend living in Warrensburg.

As for manning, I can't answer that question anymore but it seemed that all the pilots fresh out of UPT flew the -38 for about 2 years after PIT before starting B-2's. Best of luck...

Edited by Tank

Yes, I can: that rumor is false.

As for PIT, we send a few pilots to PIT each year. For others, we do a local IPUG using the ACC IPUG syllabus. Depends on their background.

Now that Huggy has retired we're short about 6-9 IPs worth of experience! But yes I just got to the U-2 program... We have four 38 only IPs, one of which just came from the B-2. These guys run the 38 shop and oversee all the upgrades. The rest are dual qual'd in the U-2, and quite a few have prior AETC time. From what I understand they tried to get T-6s here but it never panned out.

• 2 months later...