T-34 gouge

Guest aaron.morris

Guest aaron.morris

I was thinking about making my gouge available in case anyone wants to use it. API, Systems, systems and NATOPS questions, and EPs so far. If there is a good response to this i'll go ahead and do it.

Guest Xtndr50boom

Sure thing! Just post it with your name, class number/location, etc, etc.

It's ok, I'm a limo driver

Corporate history is a lacking

Originally posted by haftafly:

I was thinking about making my gouge available in case anyone wants to use it. API, Systems, systems and NATOPS questions, and EPs so far. If there is a good response to this i'll go ahead and do it.

If you have recent gouge, other than what is already on these two websites below, then I'm sure it will be very useful.

www.navygouge.com

www.bryanweatherup.com/gouge/

[ 17. March 2006, 19:27: Message edited by: Lvgravy ]

Guest aaron.morris

Hey guys sorry about the delay. Sprint and Flight, i've sent you the Systems gouge (mostly completed) and Question bank. When I finish the objectives and answers i'll get them to you as well. Also, i'm at work now so i'll get the API gouge to you tonight when I get home.

Guest aaron.morris

When it comes to the websites for gouge I haven't met one person here who has used it. Other than the -34 preflight pics. Some things have changed (especially in API and some systems stuff). I finished API in early Jan so I know the stuff is current because I made it.

The navy does love their gouge too! Mine was fine for my way of learning (in a group of 3 only) so as always with this stuff, use at your own risk!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest apareed

Apparently the Navy is huge about using gouge while the AF roasts you for it. What's the deal with that?

Here's there argument as I understand it: Gouge is not "official guidance". AF pilots use gouge (guides, training aids, notecards, personnel notes on checklists, etc.) but the source document, the official document (Dash-1, AF Reg's, etc) take precedence and many times gouge users don't know where the gouge came from or if it's current. If you can be sure your gouge is marked "For Training Purposes Only", that it is current, and you know the source document it came from, there shouldn't be a problem. Gouge is great for studying, but never quote it as a source document on a flight or checkride, quote the official source.

The only two sites that are actually mostly current are marinegouge.com and coastiecrossover.com. I would definately stay away from the rest. Everything is changing with T-6/T-34 combined ops anyway. Everyone uses the gouge at Whiting. It's encouraged, but encouraged cautiously.

• 6 months later...

I figured I'd bump the thread since the word just came out the past couple days that they are shifting Air Force students to the other VTs at Whiting and starting them on the T-34 to alleviate the pool of students waiting to class up in VT-3.

Guest wannabeflyer

whatever happened to bensgouge.com ? That site was legit when I went through. And personally I used just as much gouge in the AF training as I did in t-34s.

There's no gouge for the T-6B yet. Hell, they are still working on an FTI. Its going to be up to some enterprising student(s) to create the gouge. The way things are done changes so often that some of it is going to be outdated within days of posting. The way the program is running, things are "interesting". They only had seven years of prep time to get ready for the first T-6B landing at NSE- they might have their heads pulled out of their asses four years from now since they are flying them, but probably not.

The AF studs getting sent T-34s because of the backup are lucky. They just don't realize it yet.

There's no gouge for the T-6B yet. Hell, they are still working on an FTI. Its going to be up to some enterprising student(s) to create the gouge. The way things are done changes so often that some of it is going to be outdated within days of posting. The way the program is running, things are "interesting". They only had seven years of prep time to get ready for the first T-6B landing at NSE- they might have their heads pulled out of their asses four years from now since they are flying them, but probably not.

The AF studs getting sent T-34s because of the backup are lucky. They just don't realize it yet.

Wishing I was one of those Students getting 34's! Ha, I've been here since last December, and I wont' start Primary until 14 Feb...gotta love the Navy! I wonder if the AF ever wonders why they are paying us to do nothing for so long?

BL

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I'd bump the thread since the word just came out the past couple days that they are shifting Air Force students to the other VTs at Whiting and starting them on the T-34 to alleviate the pool of students waiting to class up in VT-3.

Do you have any more info on this? I'm currenty sitting in VT-3 doing nothing with an IFS start date in January 2011, and my fiance and I have based our wedding plans off of this fact. If they pull me over to start earlier it could affect our plans. I'm assuming I would've heard something by now...but you never know.

Do you have any more info on this? I'm currenty sitting in VT-3 doing nothing with an IFS start date in January 2011, and my fiance and I have based our wedding plans off of this fact. If they pull me over to start earlier it could affect our plans. I'm assuming I would've heard something by now...but you never know.

Don't think they've started to plan that far ahead yet. The guys I know they were sending to the other squadrons are API complete already and stashed while waiting to class up.

• 1 month later...

Lucky?? Dude... T-6B guys are going to be flying a cockpit that is essentially 80% the same as the T-38 on an Air Force style syllabus that will do a much better job of teaching you what you need to succeed once you go back to big blue. You're gonna be sitting on a sheep skin ejection seat, be able to read all of your avionics, and have sweet new full view simulators to practice on. T-34c guys get a barely padded aluminum slab, haphazardly placed/old avionics, a 50/50 shot at a working air conditioner, and hardly any exposure to Air Force-isms.

Yeah, the gouge isn't there and some things are have changed a little but the gouge isn't there for any of the T-6B students. Your on a level playing field, no one gets an advantage, just read your pubs! Making your own gouge is one of the best ways to study. Things are changing for the T-34c guys too, as local procedure changes also affect them.

I'll concede that the waiting sucks though. At least you aren't stuck at an Air Force UPT base waiting to class up!

Yeah, Lucky... The T-6B is a cool plane and all that stuff about it doing a better job prepping you to succeed once you get to big blue sounds nice and once all the kinks are worked out in the program it will be a good deal for all involved, but when you have a greater chance of failing your initial check ride then passing (recently the pass rate has been 40%... up from 20% initially) and are half way out the door of flight training before your initial solo, the studs getting sent to T-34 are the lucky ones.

The issues aren't so much with the plane as they are with the program. All things being equal the T-6B is a better bird, but the T-34 program is a proven one, and its students are currently having greater success in flight training. Can't get back to big blue if you wash out of the program.