Cool Things About Herk Flying (or your airplane)

Rocker

Guest AirGuardian

Embarrassing on the back up note while still on the ground at an un-named location....

Atis is out, and tower gives us everything but the active... guess we should have asked for it but we were complacent and never have used the opposite end while being at that location.

Taxi clearance was vague - no rwy desinator just "cleared to taxi for departure end" guess both sides of the house grd/us were a bit dazed/asleep... Ended up heading for the wrong dep end and had to back her(C17) up awhile and into our former spot to head the other waaaaay.... At least we were the first because another fellow crew did the same thing 30 minutes later. Worse on them for not catching our F'up while we taxied backwards right by them.... So I guess it's cool that we can back up like a 130... Just two red faces sitting in the pit...at least we got to log a backing on the currency sheet, but it wasn't worth the embarrassment with all eyes on us at the time, thank God for the sleepy crew #2! :eek:

[ 19. September 2005, 08:46: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Riddller:

Practicing 1 V 1's and 1 V 2's against fighters, at close range the Herk can turn inside any fighter, so its hard for them to get you...

No problem. I don't know what your turn radius is but mine is about 1369 feet...

Originally posted by Riddller:

Talking to a fighter guy one time, I asked him what he thought the best way to take out a Herk (flying at low-level) would be, and he said dropping a big friggin' bomb right in front of us!

I think I would use a maverick, there's no computing for lead.

Quite frankly, I would much rather get on the perch with an AC-130 and kill people than fight against any type of C-130 in the MOA.

Guest 130JGuardFlyer

I don't know if this is "cool" or not, but last week at the Rock somebody dropped a HE pallet on a cow. Not sure of the details, but the cow apparently wandered onto the DZ at the wrong time. And, no, it didn't survive.

Guest AirGuardian

You betcha Squatch,

Nothing like the Wedge Factor when it comes to covering your own @ss... Just never be the slowest when chased by a bear, especially if its a grizzely!!!

130JGuardFlyer - At least tell us the cow was a prime beef jerky candidate shortly thereafter? You must be out of Quonset or MD, if MD thanks for assistance and manpower for the hurric.. thing!

Guest lovelacm
Originally posted by HerkDriver24:

Who gives a crap? That's a PI in my book. Or a 50 at 6 at the minimum.

Oh, and they get major style points for that drop! So, adjusted... the worst they could get would be a 26 at 6 o'clock.

Great drop, Nav! Moving target and everything! (Wonder if they had the bovine plugged into the Rendezvous page?)

Here's a to the crew (and the guy who had to cart off the dead cow)!

Cheers!

Linda

[ 19. September 2005, 19:55: Message edited by: Linda ]

Guest croftfam

I would have to say the coolest thing about mine is infil/exfil a team/survivor without ever touching the ground. Being able to hold short of a runway in the same spot 50' AGL while waiting for landing traffic is also pretty sweet. We're just not allowed to "overfly" landing aircraft.

Guest pcampbell

A German IP of mine told me a story the other day about how he killed a horse flying too close to it. He is a Tornado pilot, and they were out on a "very" low-level sortie. Apparently, he got too low and gave the horse a heart attack. He says it wouldn't have been too big of a deal, but the horse was worth like 500K euros. The owner was not happy, and called the base to complain.

Guest ruckerstud

The cool thing about the N-model Huey is that you can talk intellegently with Vietnam vets about flying and the knowledge that everyone else in the AF has to rely on training wheels.

Originally posted by HerkDriver24:

Riddler -

And which exact model of Herk were you flying? Which Herk has a max ceiling of 400? Did it have the afterburner mod on it?

Which oil pressure? There's more than one.

And IF your story were to be true, I never want to fly with you. Breaking max specified altitude just to tell a story.

HD

Sorry, I just now noticed that you pulled the B.S. flag on me!! Shame on me for being so slow...

Anyway, I was in an R model if you must know. I can give you the tail number and the name of the AC too if you want that.

As far as which oil pressure, I'm aware that there is a needle for engine oil pressure and one for gear box oil pressure, but me being a Nav combined with the fact that this happened like 6 years ago, it wasn't that big on my priority list to specify which one. I think it was gear box.

And we DIDN'T break max specified, as I already said, ours (in the Marine Corps) was FL400. So, we weren't breaking any rules, we were just bored and figured we'd see what the old girl could do. It was either that or fly out to Ayers Rock for like the 6th time, no thanks.

Nothing I posted was in any way exagerated or misrepresented, it happened exactly as told. So do you think you could lower the B.S. flag now HD?

Right now I'm flying the mighty Cessna 172 Skyhawk for IFT...cool things about it? It flies, which is pretty cool. It also has a back seat so other IFT guys can sit in on my flight and make fun of me and vice versa. Ok, so there's not a whole lot special about it, but it's still flying! Cheers!

[ 29. September 2005, 01:13: Message edited by: APT@Nellis ]